4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_ammena_1981_*

Guest_ammena_1981_*
  • Guests

غير متواجدة

نقاط الإعجاب: 0

Posted 26 May 2004 - 02:30 PM

Assalamalikum sis,

I know this might sound like a daft question but it has been buggin me for quite some time now. Ok.. here is my situation:
:arrow: Currently I live in university halls, my mum lives in Canada  
:arrow: In July inshallah I am moving to Canada
:arrow: Between being kicked out of halls (not literally, well I hope not anyway) and moving to Canada I will be staying at my grandparents house mostly and some other places besides.

:?: So, do I pray as if Im travelling when Im at these other houses, now when I visit I do as I will be back after a weekend or something. But I wondered what happens when I no longer class university as my home.

Inshallah you can help sis, jazakallah

#2 Paradise_lover

Paradise_lover

Our Sister

• Members
  • 2,057 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 26 May 2004 - 08:27 PM

Salam alikom

Traveller should make his prayers complete if he intends to stay more than 4 days  

Question :

I am an Algerian, and I came to Britain nearly three years ago. I have been shortening my prayers after hearing the fatwa of Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) saying that there is no time limit on shortening the prayers.  
I consider myself to be waiting until the situation in my country becomes safe, then I will return. I would like you to give me a clear fatwa that applies to my situation. May Allaah reward you with the best reward.

Answer :

Praise be to Allaah.

The fatwa of the shaykh (may Allaah have mercy on him) says that the traveler is allowed the dispensation of shortening and combining his prayers, and of not fasting so long as he is still considered to be a traveler because of the general meaning of the texts. This was also the view of Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah before him. But the majority of scholars say that the traveler may only avail himself of the dispensations attached to travel so long as he does not intend to stay for four days or more. This is more on the safe side, and this was the fatwa of Shaykh ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him).

Shaykh ‘Abd al-Kareem al-Khudayr (www.islam-qa.com)                    

#3 Paradise_lover

Paradise_lover

Our Sister

• Members
  • 2,057 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 26 May 2004 - 08:28 PM

Salam alikom

The one who takes a short trip to a city where he has a relative is considered to be a traveler  

Question :

If a person travels from one city to another, and on the way he passes through a city where some of his relatives live and he stays with them for  two days, is he considered to be a traveler or a resident?

Answer :

Praise be to Allaah.

He is considered to be a traveler so long as that is not his home, even if he has a relative there such as a brother, sister, etc. But he should not pray on his own, rather he should pray with the jamaa’ah and pray four rak’ahs with them, because it is obligatory to pray with the jamaa’ah. But if there are one or more others with him, then they may either pray the shortened prayers, or they may pray with the jamaa’ah in that city and pray the full prayers.

But if he intends to stay more than four days, then he has to pray the four-rak’ah prayers in full, whether he is traveling alone or they are a group.

Majmoo’ Fataawa wa Maqaalaat Mutanawwi’ah li Samaahaht al-Shaykh al-‘Allaamah ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him), part 12, p. 299 (www.islam-qa.com)                    

#4 Paradise_lover

Paradise_lover

Our Sister

• Members
  • 2,057 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 26 May 2004 - 08:28 PM

Salam alikom

When does a journey count as travelling?  

Question :

When does a journey count as travelling [safar, i.e., a journey which allows the traveller dispensations regarding prayers such as shortening and combining prayers, etc.]?

Answer :

Praise be to Allaah.

Some of the scholars (may Allaah have mercy on them) think that travelling is defined by a distance between 81 and 83 km or more. Some think that travelling is defined by ‘urf (local custom), so that whatever is customarily regarded as travelling is travelling, even if it is to a place that is close, and whatever is not regarded as travelling – i.e. it is not called travelling – is not travelling. This was the view favoured by Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him), and it is more correct from the point of view of the evidence (daleel), but it is difficult to apply, because one person may regard a trip as travelling whilst another does not. The definition based on distance is more precise and is clearer to people. If it is agreed that a trip counts as travelling based on both distance and ‘urf, there is no need for debate.  If there is a difference between distance and ‘urf, then a person should act in accordance whatever is on the safe side.  

I’laam al-Musaafireen bi Ba’d Aadaab wa Ahkaam al-Safar wa maa yakhuss al-Mallaaheen al-Jawwiyyeen by Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen, p. 5 (www.islam-qa.com)                    

#5 Guest_ammena_1981_*

Guest_ammena_1981_*
  • Guests

غير متواجدة

Posted 27 May 2004 - 05:46 PM

Assalamalikum sister,

just wanted to say thank you for that... it has cleared up many issues alhamdulillah.

Jazakallah

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users