12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_MellaBella78_*

Guest_MellaBella78_*
  • Guests

غير متواجدة

نقاط الإعجاب: 0

Posted 12 July 2004 - 10:12 AM

Hello Everyone,,

My name is Melissa and I am 26 years old. I was raised with almost no religion in my life, and now want to convert to Islam. I am a bit afraid, I will be starting from scratch and know almost no arabic. It seems so diffuclt and a bit overwhelming. I guess I was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions, or had a simular experience.  

Thank you.. Melissa

#2 fathma

fathma

Our Sister

• Members
  • 939 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 12 July 2004 - 01:59 PM

Hello Melissa,

Welcome to the forum. Please don't feel afraid., Inshallah., You need to take small steps to start with., It takes a long time to learn islam - everyone is always learning something new no matter how long they have been Muslim.

Try and get to know the basics, and try and build up from there.
I just wanted to give you a website to help you with your Arabic - i have such difficulty with it myself, but this site is excellent  biggrin.gif

www.madinaharabic.com

I'm sure it was a sister from this site who gave this website - So jazakhallah sister!
I hope this helps.,

#3 sarah J.H.

sarah J.H.

Our Sister

• Members
  • 294 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 12 July 2004 - 04:27 PM

Assalamu alaykum,

firstly i would like to say welcome on board, and secondly, remind you of how blessed you are at being introduced to islam. You will find , (allah willing) that most of us are reverts to islam on islamway, trying to find our way through life as a muslim. We are one big family, helping one another through difficult situations, and being happy for one another through happy times. We would so much like you to join the family by declaring that you belive that Allah is the only diety worthy of worshipping, and prophet mohammed (peace be upon him) is the messenger of Allah.

If you have any questions, you have come to the right place (allah willing), and dont hesitate to ask, however silly you might think we will think you are for asking, because surely someone has asked the same question before you  biggrin.gif .......

Where are you anyway, uk or usa, or elsewhere?

Salams sarah marshmallow

#4 muslima2002

muslima2002

Active Sister

• Members
  • 3,632 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 12 July 2004 - 04:41 PM

Hello Melissa.
First of all welcome to this forum.
To know more about Islam there are several ways to do so. You can ask us anytime when you have some specific questions. You can also look at the site and read our stories and our questions. As sister fathma said, we are all learning something new all the time.

Don't worry about your arabic, you will learn it soon inshAllah (God willing). You can find a lot of information on this site about Islam and how we practice our religion. How much do you already know about Islam?

First of all there are the five pillars:
1. Shahada (testimony of faith) "Ashadu ana la ilaha il allah wa ashadu ana muhamadan rasul allah" (I believe there is only one God, Allah and I believe Muhammad is his messenger). When you truly believe this you say the shahada and then you are a muslim
2. Salah (the five prayers)
3. Sawm (the fast in the month of Ramadan from dawn to sunset)
4. Zakat (regular charity)
5. Hadj (pilgrimage to Makkah)

A lot of us sisters here are converts so we know exactly how you feel. As I said before; feel free to ask questions, inshAllah we'll be able to answer you.

I agree with sister fathma, you need to take small steps at first and when you are ready, you say the shahada. You don't need to know ALL of Islam in order to do so, because we are still learning about our religion (I reverted to years ago).

No questions are stupid ones, keep that in mind - we are here to help you. biggrin.gif

#5 daisy

daisy

Our Sister

• Members
  • 160 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 12 July 2004 - 06:07 PM

Salaam alaikum,

Melissa, (that's my name too  smile.gif  ) it's really wonderful that you want to accept Islam. I know it can be scary at first, I became muslim last June, and was very nervous and scared about it because I was Christian and even though I knew Islam was the right path, I still had doubts, but after I did it, they vanished.
Like the others have said, there's so much to learn about Islam, you're always learning something new. So don't worry you don't know Arabic yet, inshallah you will. I had been studying with a sister but a lot of things were going on and we couldn't keep up the lessons, I know we should have though. But it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.
Are there any muslims in your area that would be able to help you? If there are, I'm sure they would be willing to help. And of course, you have this message board and we'll help you too  smile.gif

#6 justlistening

justlistening

Our Sister

• Banned
  • 357 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 12 July 2004 - 06:22 PM

Welcome to the forum!

You came to the right place I think.  Here, you will find the kindest and most helpful people you will ever meet.
As always, I have to recommend "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Understanding Islam"  It gives you an overview of everything in Islam.  It's the best book out there to answer your questions.  You can find it at any Barnes and Nobles Bookstore or Borders bookstore.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me or Email me.  I would love to help you out.  Or post your questions on the board (nothing is considered silly or stupid here) and you will have many sisters far more knowledgeable than myself, here to help you.

May God guide you to what is right.

#7 Sister Kamillah

Sister Kamillah

Active Sister

• Members
  • 5,633 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 12 July 2004 - 11:48 PM

Peace,
Anything new can be a little scarey at times and since you have not been brought up in a family that had a religion it may even be more scarey. But this may be better than having to struggle with getting rid of wrong teachings and stories of the Prophets that were mixed with some truth and some falsehood. You can start fresh at the beginning without your thoughts being mixed up because of childhood teachings. You can learn Islam without having to put to rest things you were raised.
I think I would now point you in the direction of the six articles of Emaan and if you do believe in these things. Then I would not delay saying the shahada. Some Mosques do have Arabic classes and now many of the colleges and universities in the United States have arabic classes. So I would not let this prevent you from becoming a Muslim, for the language is very easy Insha-Allah to learn. You will only need to learn enough arabic at first to be able to make salat(prayer) and many of the sisters at the mosque could help you with this. Usually the Imam's wife will be glad to help with this and if not she could help find someone to teach you enough arabic to make your prayer.
kamillah

#8 swsis570

swsis570

Our Sister

• Members
  • 331 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 15 July 2004 - 09:12 PM

As-salaam Alaikum and welcome MellaBella78!  This is an excellent site, mashaAllah for you to learn about Islam!  We have many knowledgable sisters here and so sweet mashaAllah.

We were all overhelmed when we first came to Islam.  Just take it easy.
When I first became Muslim I dove right in wanting to become a scholar in a couple of months!  My mom converted about 2 years ago and she did the same thing.  It is just so much to learn and so beautiful!!
swsis570

#9 UmmZayd

UmmZayd

Our Sister

• Members
  • 125 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 16 July 2004 - 02:29 PM

As-Salaamu 'alaykum..

reverting can feel overwhelming. And maybe I would have put it off myself unless one sister did what she did.. may Allaah reward her.

Six years ago, I felt that Qur'aan is from God. I couldn't deny that because of all the scientific facts in it. But I was afraid to say shahadah, I was afraid "what will happen next". There was another girl who reverted to Islaam and she wanted to go to the mosque and say shahadah - she told me "come with me, I want to say shahadah". Ok, we went - both of us we covered our heads with a scarf (out of respect at that time) and wore long sleeved shirt and a long skirt.

The other girl said shahadah first. And then the Imaam told me, "repeat after me, laa ilaaha illal laa..." *smile* I was so overwhelmed! But alhamdulillaah, I repeated the words after him.

The Imaam thought that I came there too with the intention of saying shahadah. Maybe I would have but I was so afraid.. and so in this case I am glad that it actually happened like that or it could have taken a very long time that I would have said shahadah.

After saying shahdah I started to learn how to pray.. and little by little I started to study other things about Islaam (things related to daily life in the beginning).

#10 mrskhan

mrskhan

Our Sister

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 16 July 2004 - 03:43 PM

assalamalaikum,
welcome to the forum
mashallah its nice to know u have interest in Islam.
Sis dont b afraid ,allah will guide u to the right path.
i suggest u to read  abt Islam and ponder Over the Right and Wrong PAth
inshallah u will gain more info from these sites.

http://www.islamworld.net/
http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/fundamentals/tawheed/
http://www.islam-guide.com/
may allah guide u To the Path of islam.
and make the path very easy for u biggrin.gif

Take care
Mrs Khan

#11 swsis570

swsis570

Our Sister

• Members
  • 331 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 16 July 2004 - 08:13 PM

Saying your shahadah is such a beautiful experience.  When my mom said hers, all the sisters at the masjid were crying!  I told myself I wouldn't cry, but I couldn't help it!  Such a wonderful experience!
One time when this brother took shahadah my husband said he got tired because so many brothers had lined up out the door to shake his hand!!
WONDERFUL, EXHILARATING!
swsis570

#12 searching

searching

Our Sister

• Members
  • 243 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 16 July 2004 - 09:14 PM

Salam smile.gif

First...welcome to the site..you have came to a good place to learn lots about Islam...there are alot of kind sisters here.  I too came to this site.. "searching" for truth...ISLAM. smile.gif   I reverted in October last year. (Thanks be to Allah)  I knew the basics of Islam...and had been studying and thinking things through....what i considered obstacles (left in my heart by Christianity)...it took me months of reading...studying.....then my life changed for the better in October.  Personally (each person is different)...i feel by doing things step by step..tiny steps if necessary....you can learn the "how's"...prayer..behavoir etc....if you believe in Islam and what it teaches...no need to delay smile.gif

If you post your concerns surely sisters will help you...as many are reverts...i am confident we will help you....and can relate to issues or concerns you have.  

Til next smile.gif

Penny

I hope to hear more from you smile.gif

#13 sarah_anisah

sarah_anisah

Active Sister

• Members
  • 4,408 posts
  • Interests:Islam, my children

غير متواجدة

Posted 16 July 2004 - 09:25 PM

Hello Melissa,
WELCOME to the best place to find out how it is to live your life as a Muslimah (especially a newly guided one) and gain any knowledge you need to start you on the most incredible journey of your life on this earth  :wink:

As you have probably already gathered the sisters here are very friendly and welcoming.. if you have any questions, anything at all, no matter how trivial you may think it is... (beleive me I asked THE MOST obscure questions in my quest for the truth  :roll:  tongue.gif ).

Keep in touch and let us help you.

Sarah

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users