27 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_musaafirah_*

Guest_musaafirah_*
  • Guests

غير متواجدة

نقاط الإعجاب: 0

Posted 07 September 2008 - 04:04 PM

Asalaamu Alaikum,

I am totally unsure, besides harira, of what kind of soup to make to break fast with. Any recipes?

#2 MissPink

MissPink

Active Sister

• Members
  • 6,057 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 07 September 2008 - 05:26 PM

Assalamu alaikom

I like to make a smoothed soup of potato, carrot, zucchini

Wash, peel, and dice 3 large potatoes, 2 carrots, and 1 or 2 zucchini

Boil about 2 cups water and add the potatoes and carrots. Boil about 10 minutes then add the zucchini. Boil 5 more minutes.

Add a pat of butter and a cube of Maggi or any seasoning you like.  Add about 2 cups more of water and at this point I use my hand blender to puree the whole mix.

Right before you're ready to eat, add about 2-3 cups of milk and heat through (you don't have to boil it).  Adjust seasoning (salt or pepper) and serve!

This makes a big pot, so if it's just for two, I'd use only 2 large potatoes, 1 carrot, 1 zucchini and reduce the liquid.  You can't really go wrong in this recipe... sometimes if I feel we need more soup I just add more milk or water and nothing really happends to the consistency of the soup!

#3 Guest_musaafirah_*

Guest_musaafirah_*
  • Guests

غير متواجدة

Posted 07 September 2008 - 05:30 PM

Asalaamu Alaikum,

JazakhiAllahu Khayr sis. That sounds very good. DH is a picky eater, especially when it comes to soups so its hard to think of ideas, especially since he dislikes 3das LOL.

#4 ~MissKitty~

~MissKitty~

Our Sister

• Members
  • 2,965 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 07 September 2008 - 06:05 PM

Salam alaikum,

Here is the recipe I used yesterday for a Turkish yogurt soup:
Yayla Chorba - High Plateau Soup  
4 C beef or chicken stock
1/2 C rice, rinsed and drained
2 C plain yogurt
2 Tbsp flour
1 egg yolk
salt and pepper to taste
4 Tbsp butter
4 tsp dried mint
crushed red pepper, optional

Bring stock to the boil and add the rice. Over medium heat, simmer for about 20 minutes, or until rice is well cooked. Stir occasionally to prevent rice from sticking together, and sticking to bottom of the pan.

Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine the yogurt, flour, egg yolk and beat until smooth. From the pan, take 1 cup of hot stock and whisk it into the egg and yogurt mixture.

Return it to the pan, season with salt and pepper and stir, simmutes.

In separate pan, melt the butter gently, add the mint and cook on very low heat for 30 seconds. Whisk into the soup.

Serve hot, topped with a sprinkling of red pepper flakes if desired, and lemon wedges on the side to squeeze in!

I really liked this soup. There's different versions of it, and this was a little different than I've had before. But, it's the only recipe I've been able to make that turns out good!

#5 Lovin_Niqaab

Lovin_Niqaab

Our Sister

• Members
  • 1,001 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 07 September 2008 - 06:24 PM

Assalamualakum,

Here is my recipe for our traditional Libyan soup. I like to call it the Arabian Desert Soup. I make it everyday since it's so filling and good! This recipe is enough for 2-3 servings.

1-2 tablespoons oil
1/2 onion chopped
1/4 cup diced beef or lamb (I like it better with lamb. Each piece should be about 1/2 inch, so small cubes.)
1/2 tomato diced and copped

First, saute your chopped onion in the oil till golden. Add your meat and the tomato. Cover and let it cook on medium heat for 2-4 minutes.

Next your going to add:

Salt, Black Pepper (to suit your taste)
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
(If you want a little bit of spice you can add a small bit of chili or cayenne pepper.)

Stir and cover for 1-2 minutes.
Then add:

1 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 cups of water.

Stir and cover. Let it cook on low heat for about 30-45 minutes or until the meat is cooked through and the flavors have blended. If its still early for dinner or iftar, then turn off heat. If not then add:

1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon of orzo (You can find this type of pasta/rice in most grocery stores and all middle eastern stores.)
2-3 tablespoons canned chick peas

Cook on high till the orzo is done. Add a small handful of thinly chopped parsley and a few dashes of dry rubbed mint.

You can increase and/or decrease the tomato paste and water to suit your taste. I like my soup in the middle. Not watery but not thick ad heavy. This recipe will achieve that inshallah. Some people also like less orzo and some like a lot. The amount above is just perfect in my opinion. Try it and let me know what you think!

#6 Guest_Samiraaa_*

Guest_Samiraaa_*
  • Guests

غير متواجدة

Posted 07 September 2008 - 06:46 PM

Salaam aleikoum,
not in the mood for harira anymore tongue.gif

#7 Guest_musaafirah_*

Guest_musaafirah_*
  • Guests

غير متواجدة

Posted 07 September 2008 - 08:53 PM

Asalaamu Alaikum,

BarakAllahu Feekuma sisters. Those look so delicious. I will inshaAllah try them out and let you know how it went. wink.gif

Quick question though for MissKitty, which stock did you use (beef or chicken?) when you made it?

#8 ~MissKitty~

~MissKitty~

Our Sister

• Members
  • 2,965 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 07 September 2008 - 10:00 PM

Salam alaikum,

I used chicken stock this time. I read another recipe and it says you can also use lamb stock.

Once I tried making it with just water....it didn't taste good, there wasn't much flavor at all.

#9 UmmHafsah

UmmHafsah

Our Sister

• Members
  • 674 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 08 September 2008 - 04:28 AM

Assalamu aliakum,

QUOTE(Lovin_Niqaab @ Sep 7 2008, 12:24 PM) View Post

Assalamualakum,

Here is my recipe for our traditional Libyan soup. I like to call it the Arabian Desert Soup. I make it everyday since it's so filling and good! This recipe is enough for 2-3 servings.

1-2 tablespoons oil
1/2 onion chopped
1/4 cup diced beef or lamb (I like it better with lamb. Each piece should be about 1/2 inch, so small cubes.)
1/2 tomato diced and copped

First, saute your chopped onion in the oil till golden. Add your meat and the tomato. Cover and let it cook on medium heat for 2-4 minutes.

Next your going to add:

Salt, Black Pepper (to suit your taste)
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
(If you want a little bit of spice you can add a small bit of chili or cayenne pepper.)

Stir and cover for 1-2 minutes.
Then add:

1 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 cups of water.

Stir and cover. Let it cook on low heat for about 30-45 minutes or until the meat is cooked through and the flavors have blended. If its still early for dinner or iftar, then turn off heat. If not then add:

1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon of orzo (You can find this type of pasta/rice in most grocery stores and all middle eastern stores.)
2-3 tablespoons canned chick peas

Cook on high till the orzo is done. Add a small handful of thinly chopped parsley and a few dashes of dry rubbed mint.

You can increase and/or decrease the tomato paste and water to suit your taste. I like my soup in the middle. Not watery but not thick ad heavy. This recipe will achieve that inshallah. Some people also like less orzo and some like a lot. The amount above is just perfect in my opinion. Try it and let me know what you think!

Woohoooooo!  biggrin.gif biggrin.gif I will make this on Tuesday insha Allah.  My dh is used to eating 'Shooraba leebiyyeh' every day in Ramadan, and I have never even seen it before.  So our first Ramadan together, he tried to remember what it looked/tasted like, and created his own version of it.  I make it (his version) all the time now... we ven invited people over and made it... and he tells them: "this is shooraba leebiyyeh"  laugh.gif  Well, it's nothing like you just said except maybe the parsley, diced lamb and tomato paste  biggrin.gif

Jazaaki Allah khair   Copy of food-smiley-002.gif

#10 Lovin_Niqaab

Lovin_Niqaab

Our Sister

• Members
  • 1,001 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 08 September 2008 - 07:46 PM

Assalamualakum,

LOOL! biggrin.gif smile.gif Let me know how it goes!

#11 Aisha

Aisha

Active Sister

• Members
  • 5,159 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 08 September 2008 - 07:56 PM

As-Salaamu alaikum

SubhanAllah I was thinking that I should have posted this recipe too as we have Shurbah Libiyyah every day in Ramadhan  cooked by my mum-in-law mashaAllah barakAllahu feeha wub.gif
We also add a little chopped fresh coriander leaves with the parsley and crumble some dried mint into the soup right at the end of cooking and before serving, also some like to squeeze some fresh lemon juice into it.

For iftar this soup would suffice me (with bread) after 'halleeb bil loz' (milk with Almond syrup) and tamar (dates) mashaAllah. smile.gif

WaSalaamu alaikum,
Om-AbdulRahman

#12 UmmHafsah

UmmHafsah

Our Sister

• Members
  • 674 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 10 September 2008 - 05:03 PM

Assalamu aliakum,

That soup was mm-mmmm gooood! Wallah!  128.gif   It was really good masha Allah.  Now I know what the big deal about shoorabah leebiyyeh is biggrin.gif
I tried it out yesterday on my parents, brothers and sisters, my sister and her husband, and my aunt and her son.  biggrin.gif  They loved it!  It was a hit.
And most importantly, my husband couldn't get enough of it!  He said it brought back so many memories.  128.gif   120.gif

Jazaakum Allah khair smile.gif

#13 UmmHafsah

UmmHafsah

Our Sister

• Members
  • 674 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 11 September 2008 - 04:00 AM

Assalamu aliakum,

Sooo sorry musaafirah to hijack your post like this... last question insha Allah smile.gif

Om AbdulRahman, Lovin_Niqaab: While we're at it, do you have the recipe for Mbattan?  I guess it's potatoes stuffed with meat, covered in eggs or something like that.  We tried our own version of that too but that one failed miserably, lol.  00000692.gif

Jazaakum Allah khair smile.gif

As for soups,
There's always the traditional Chicken Noodle Soup.  In the chicken stock, I put vermicelli, carrot shreds, and potato shreds, and some fresh parsley right before I turn it off.  You can also put small chicken pieces if you like.

There's another soup we make.  We (as in, my family) call it the "Red Soup", lol.   You just sautee some ground meat until brown.  Put in some tomato paste, vermicelli, water, salt, and black pepper.  Let it simmer for a while.  It's surprisingly good smile.gif

If you're into mushrooms, there's a creamy mushroom soup.

#14 muslimsister

muslimsister

Active Sister

• Members
  • 5,197 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 11 September 2008 - 07:19 AM

Potato Soup

3 or 4 large potatoes cut into small cubes
2-3 carrots sliced
1 stalk celery- sliced
One small onion chopped fine
1 cup water
4 cups milk
1 Tablespoon butter
2 Tablespoons flour
salt and pepper to taste

Combine vegetables and onion and put in medium/large saucepan with water.  Let boil, then simmer until vegetables are tender.  Add salt and pepper.   Add 3 1/2 cups milk and butter .  Put flour in a dish and slowly add remaining milk stirring until you get a smooth mixture.  Add to soup and heat until it thickens somewhat.  
Serve hot.

#15 MissMe_blossom0420

MissMe_blossom0420

Our Sister

• Members
  • 1,057 posts
  • Interests:Daydreaming...

غير متواجدة

Posted 11 September 2008 - 11:26 PM

Salaam!

Since I don't cook much...but my dad makes WONDERFUL soup!

Im not sure how to cook it....but I do know the ingredients!

Copy of food-smiley-002.gif  Copy of food-smiley-002.gif

Carrots
onions
water(duh!)
pasta(any type, but I prefer the tiny little balls)
potatoes
little bit pepper
and CHICKEN!

Love,

Nadia

#16 Lovin_Niqaab

Lovin_Niqaab

Our Sister

• Members
  • 1,001 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 11 September 2008 - 11:51 PM

Assalamualakum,

So glad it turned out well for you! Alhamdulilah.

Um Abdulrahman I know what you mean about the soup being enough. It is quite hearty.

Here's my recipe for Umbatin. I don't actually measure my ingredients, I just go by eye, but I'll try inshallah. Um Abdulrahman, if anything sounds like too much or too little let me know inshallah.

This recipe makes about 20-25 umbatnat depending on how big your potatoes are.

Pull out a mixing bowl and add the following ingredients. Just put all ingredients in and mix it in the end when you've added everything.

About 1 cup or equal amounts of each:
Thinly chopped parsley
Thinly chopped cilantro (can leave it out if its not on hand but it's so good with it.)
Chopped onion (some people like to add green onion.)

1/2 pound ground beef  
1 egg
2 tablespoons bread crumbs
1 tsp. tomato paste

To these ingredients your going to add your spices:

Salt
Black Pepper
Turmeric
Cayenne or Chili Pepper
A dash of cinnamon.

Now you mix it all together, with your hands is best. The mix should be sticky and holds together (you should be able to make a well formed ball out if it).

Now you get your potatoes ready.

Using a peeler, start off peeling 4-5 medium potatoes. (Some people like BIG umbatnat so choose big potatoes for that and others like smaller ones that you can finish in two bites, so pick your potatoes depending on how big you want the umbatin to be. Make sure you use well formed ones that are almost smooth ovals or almost round. It makes cutting them and pairing them up easier.) Try not to dig too deep into the potato as you peel so to keep the shape uniform all over.
Now the tricky part. Take each potato and cut into slices, lengthwise. Make the slices about 1/8 inch thick. To thin and they burn easily and too thick they won't cook through. Pair the slices from the same potato together to get perfect matches. Do the same with all the potato.

Taking a small handful of the meat mixture and two matched potato slices, make a sandwich. And again there is room for variation. Some people like the meat layer to be thick and others like it thin. Do the same with all the potato slices, peeling more as needed.

When that part is done, turn the heat on under your frying pan to medium (deep fryer, pot, small pot, whatever you like to fry food in) and add enough oil to cover the umbatin. As the oil is heating up, break two eggs in a bowl, add some salt and beat well. About a 1/2 cup of flour in another separate bowl. When the oil is hot enough, taking one umbatna at a time, cover in flour, dip it into the beaten egg and drop it in the oil (another variation is to add a third layer of bread crumbs after the egg for a crisper umbatin). Make sure your oil isn't too hot so that the umbatin doesn't get too brown too fast and the potato has a chance to cook through. When cooked, set them on paper towels to soak up some of the oil. Some people end with the frying but yet ANOTHER variation is to layer the umbatin in a pan, dilute about 1 tablespoon pasta sauce with 1/2 cup of water, and spread a small amount on each umbatna. Cover with foil and put in a hot oven for about 20-25 minutes. This is a good idea if your oil turned out to be too hot and your umbatin is a perfect golden color but the potato didn't cook all the way through.

Sa7a Wa 3afiya!

Edited by Lovin_Niqaab, 11 September 2008 - 11:54 PM.

#17 Aisha

Aisha

Active Sister

• Members
  • 5,159 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 12 September 2008 - 12:43 AM

As-Salaamu alaikum

Om AbdulRahman, Lovin_Niqaab: While we're at it, do you have the recipe for Mbattan? I guess it's potatoes stuffed with meat, covered in eggs or something like that. We tried our own version of that too but that one failed miserably, lol.

I will get an exact recipe for you inshaAllah - can you believe that in all the years that I have been cooking Libyan food and actually eating Bataata m'baTna (everyone I know cooks these and we had some just yesterday)  I have never made these myself. Maybe this Ramadhan inshaAllah!

WaSalaamu alaikum,
Om-AbdulRahman

#18 UmmHafsah

UmmHafsah

Our Sister

• Members
  • 674 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 12 September 2008 - 03:49 AM

Assalamu aliakum,

Jazaaki Allah khair for taking the time to type this up smile.gif
I might try them tomorrow insha Allah.  It seems like a lot of work!  
Are they good?  
Om AbdulRahman, I will try out Lovin_Niqaab's recipe and let you know how it goes insha Allah, as an encouragement to make them smile.gif

Lovin_Niqaab, I hear your food is good wink.gif  That's why I was willing to try your soup recipe (a completely new food that I've never even seen before) for the first time on fasting guests!  Copy of food-smiley-002.gif

Jazaaki Allah khair.

Edited by Alserat_Almustaqeem, 12 September 2008 - 03:50 AM.

#19 Lovin_Niqaab

Lovin_Niqaab

Our Sister

• Members
  • 1,001 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 13 September 2008 - 05:05 PM

Assalamualakum

Dear God, talk about pressure! smile.gif If I had known you were going to try it out for the first time on your guests (I met one of them the other day in the masjid and she said it was great...Phew!) I would have advised you against it! LOL! biggrin.gif

With the umbatin, all the work is preparation related. All the chopping and cutting and slicing you have to do is what takes up the most time. But it's well worth it and sometimes I just make it with soup and a good salad.

#20 Najjouha

Najjouha

Our Sister

• Members
  • 1,552 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 19 September 2008 - 12:42 PM

assalamu alaykum

sister lovin niqab i am lovin your recipes! made your soup which was perfect my parents loved it. next mission is to the the potato slices as i have had them at libyan sisters houses and loveeeeeeeed it. i love libyan food its a shame we're shamee!
  tongue.gif
najah

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users