*UmmD*

Our Sister

• Members
  • 1,249 posts

غير متواجدة

نقاط الإعجاب: 0

Posted 25 March 2008 - 12:38 PM

Assalaamualaikum wa rahmatullaah

i know what you mean and how you feel Marshmallow. i dont know if it is how i was raised or if it is my fitrah, but i feel some kind of disgust when words like beer are used due to the connotations around it. even if it is 'non alcoholic'..

just my POV..

#22 Guest_poise_*

Guest_poise_*
  • Guests

غير متواجدة

Posted 25 March 2008 - 01:47 PM

Asalaamu Alaikum,

Girls, I really do understand how you feel. See, I went and found that it was permissible from multiple scholars but even so I felt 'weird' about buying it. But I did. However, when I went to the store, I felt so upset to walk down that aisle, to buy it at the register (I did tell the cashier it was no-alcohol beer, I guess to make myself feel better), and just to hold it. I seriously felt sick at the store and dh had to reassure me because I told him how wrong I felt. Although, then again I do eat beef 'bacon' which is similar in a way. So, I do understand how you guys feel and am not really sure where I stand on the whole issue. I used it, but it was emotionally taxing for me just to obtain it and even hold it so I hope inshaAllah to find a good substitute for it at all in this recipe.

#23 MuslimahMom

MuslimahMom

Our Sister

• Members
  • 1,629 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 25 March 2008 - 01:55 PM

Asalam aliekum,

I understand both points of view. I also understand clearly when there is a yummy recipe you want to try but it calls for beer or wine, and you just want a substitute that will make the recipe behave the same way to get the same result. When a recipe calls for bacon, I either use turkey "bacon" or omit it. When a recipe calls for wine, sometimes I can substitue grape juice, and other times it can be omitted as well. As for the beer, it depends on whether the recipe includes it for the carbonation or the taste. Most times seltzer water can be substituted. I have had mixes for a quick beer bread that comes out just as nicely using soda water or ginger ale. (Someone here recently asked for a fish and chips recipe that didn't include beer in the batter for the fish, and seltzer or soda water does work.)  I actually have a harder time finding a good recipe for vegetarian chili, as most recipes I have seen ask for pork products...I do use beef instead.

Non-alcoholic beer here in the states is non-alcoholic. As well, non-alcoholic wine or champagne is usually just carbonated white grape juice, but it also has no alcohol in it. (Trader Joe's has a non-alcoholic carbonated lemonade that my kids just love! Also one flavored with raspberry.)

MuslimahMom

#24 Barbara

Barbara

Active Sister

• Members
  • 3,843 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 25 March 2008 - 04:34 PM

Assalam'alaikum,

Marshmallow: although I can understand having a bad day and being stressed, I would like to remind you not to entertain negative thoughts about your sisters who are doing something absolutely halal and backed up by strong evidence.  I would have expected being attacked this way if I had bragged about buying a house with riba, for example...

Maybe you could tell us about what is annoying you so much and have a healthy discussion about it.  You would probably feel better after talking about it.

Also, why would anyone stay in a place that makes him so sick and disturbed?  Maybe that place is not for you?  

Barbara

#25 marshmallow

marshmallow

Our Sister

• Members
  • 2,732 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 25 March 2008 - 04:49 PM

QUOTE(Barbara @ Mar 25 2008, 07:34 PM) View Post
Assalam'alaikum,

Marshmallow: although I can understand having a bad day and being stressed, I would like to remind you not to entertain negative thoughts about your sisters who are doing something absolutely halal and backed up by strong evidence. I would have expected being attacked this way if I had bragged about buying a house with riba, for example...

Maybe you could tell us about what is annoying you so much and have a healthy discussion about it. You would probably feel better after talking about it.

Also, why would anyone stay in a place that makes him so sick and disturbed? Maybe that place is not for you?

Barbara

Assalamu alaykum,

yes you are probably right, but that would be political and so i cant. I just have to take it out on you lot for other reasons....

Feel a bit better now anyhow, and i see that many of you hold similar feelings too. Jazakillah khair though for offering a solution.

salams sarah

#26 Barbara

Barbara

Active Sister

• Members
  • 3,843 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 25 March 2008 - 05:18 PM

Assalam'alaikum,

I can understand the "connotation" thing some of you are expressing.  Because I have similar feelings with other things.  For example, even though a woman wearing a string is not forbidden per see in islam, this is something I personaly link to prostitution.  And there is no way I will ever feel differently about it.  So yes, I can understand that type of feeling.  The whole point, though, is not to make haram what is halal.

Barbara

#27 *UmmD*

*UmmD*

Our Sister

• Members
  • 1,249 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 25 March 2008 - 05:21 PM

Assalaamualaikum wa rahamtullaah

QUOTE(Barbara @ Mar 25 2008, 05:18 PM) View Post
The whole point, though, is not to make haram what is halal.

Barbara

defenitly.

#28 marshmallow

marshmallow

Our Sister

• Members
  • 2,732 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 26 March 2008 - 03:57 PM

Assalamu alaykum

No ,im not saying its haram, just perspectives of things change drastically here. Where as we are worried about beof burgion (spelling?), without wine, and how it will taste, i am seeing women dragging 4 kids around in an overcrowded 10 year old pram,in the midday heat, to beg for enough money to eat.

i know its not any of our faults, and it is important that everyone tries to live in halal, so acting with caution or questioning is needed, and according to where we live questions will differ, but momentarily questions like this seem trivial, when faced with a heart yank every time i leave my house.

Strings however are painfull, and you are forever needing to 'pick'. who would want to wear them?

salams sarah

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users