27 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_poise_*

Guest_poise_*
  • Guests

غير متواجدة

نقاط الإعجاب: 0

Posted 12 March 2008 - 11:00 PM

Asalaamu Alaikum,

I know its permissible to use non-alcoholic beer in cooking so thats not really what my question is about. I have this chili recipe which is simply amazing that was given to me by my mother (who is not Muslim) and which I used to eat when I was younger and not yet a practicing Muslim (as I didn't even know what Islam was really). Anyway, the chili has a lot of weird ingredients in it and one of the ingredients is beer. I am planning to make the chili this weekend and use non-alcoholic beer but I am totally unsure about what type to use so if anyone knows what the best brand for cooking is or the best-tasting brand is it would be very helpful.

BarakAllahu Feekuma.

#2 Barbara

Barbara

Active Sister

• Members
  • 3,843 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 13 March 2008 - 01:05 AM

Assalam'alaikum,

Is the recipe asking for blond, red or brown beer?  When it doesn't mention, it is usually blond beer, but in doubt, ask your mother.

Barbara

#3 Guest_poise_*

Guest_poise_*
  • Guests

غير متواجدة

Posted 13 March 2008 - 01:34 AM

Asalaamu Alaikum,

I know she usually used Guinness, so whatever type of beer that is. I don't think she'd know the specific type since she didn't drink beer herself and thought it tasted bad, only used it for this recipe. The original recipe just says beer.

#4 Barbara

Barbara

Active Sister

• Members
  • 3,843 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 13 March 2008 - 02:04 AM

Assalam'alaikum,

So it's probably blond.  Let us know how the recipe turned out.

Barbara

#5 confused_christian

confused_christian

Our Sister

• Interested in Islam
  • 756 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 13 March 2008 - 02:13 AM

Barbara...

so, in this line of thought...can you use cooking wine..  Very different from the wine you drink, but not quite vinegar..  is that allowed for you?
Just curious

thanks
Brandi

QUOTE(Barbara @ Mar 12 2008, 10:04 PM) View Post

Assalam'alaikum,

So it's probably blond.  Let us know how the recipe turned out.

Barbara

#6 Barbara

Barbara

Active Sister

• Members
  • 3,843 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 13 March 2008 - 02:22 AM

Hi Brandi,

What is cooking wine, exactly?  Is it de-alcoholized wine?

Barbara

#7 Guest_poise_*

Guest_poise_*
  • Guests

غير متواجدة

Posted 13 March 2008 - 02:43 AM

Asalaamu Alaikum,

I am not using pure beer that will cook off, its no-alcohol beer; thats quite different from using plain cooking wine or sherry.

BarakAllahu Feeki, sis Barbara.

#8 confused_christian

confused_christian

Our Sister

• Interested in Islam
  • 756 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 13 March 2008 - 03:05 AM

hey,

Well...to be honest, I've never used it and I'm not sure what it is.  Up until lately, I've always just used a dry sherry or chardonnay or marsala...but I wanted to cook something for someone who doesn't drink and in the aisle with the vinegars, I saw a whole selection of cooking wine..  This is what the label said...you don't have to be 18 to purchase it, and it wasn't in the alcohol section and so I don't know.  I was  hoping you could tell me a little about it..  And, it's cheaper than wine... a couple dollars a bottle...btw, the bottles were small, maybe 200 mls.

Brandi

QUOTE(Barbara @ Mar 12 2008, 10:22 PM) View Post

Hi Brandi,

What is cooking wine, exactly?  Is it de-alcoholized wine?

Barbara

#9 Barbara

Barbara

Active Sister

• Members
  • 3,843 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 13 March 2008 - 03:29 AM

Hi,

Maybe next time you go at the grocery store you can check the % of alcohol in it and note the brand.  I would be interested in knowing more about it.

Thanks,

Barbara

#10 confused_christian

confused_christian

Our Sister

• Interested in Islam
  • 756 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 13 March 2008 - 03:50 AM

Barbara..

I don't know if you have the grocery chain 'Kroger'???  I remember it was made by the grocery store label, Private Selection..  It's probably made by others too, those just happened to catch my eye and I only looked at that brand.  Next time I go to the store, I'll look it up for you...
thanks
Brandi

QUOTE(Barbara @ Mar 12 2008, 11:29 PM) View Post

Hi,

Maybe next time you go at the grocery store you can check the % of alcohol in it and note the brand.  I would be interested in knowing more about it.

Thanks,

Barbara

#11 Lovin_Niqaab

Lovin_Niqaab

Our Sister

• Members
  • 1,001 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 13 March 2008 - 04:21 AM

Assalamualkum,

Cooking wine is usually just a lower grade of normal wine. It is said to be not as good as the more expensive wine and chefs and cooks are against using it in cooking. They always say only cook with what you would drink. And from my understanding cooking wine is just cheap wine, made that way so it is less expensive for people who cook with it often.

#12 Barbara

Barbara

Active Sister

• Members
  • 3,843 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 13 March 2008 - 04:28 AM

Assalam'alaikum,

Okay, thanks for the info, LQ.  I have cooked with a de-alcoholized "cheap" wine and it turned out good.  When I make a "boeuf bourguignon", this is what I use.

Barbara

#13 MuslimahMom

MuslimahMom

Our Sister

• Members
  • 1,629 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 13 March 2008 - 11:48 AM

Asalam aliekum,

You originally asked for a good-tasting non-alcoholic beer (brand) and I would say O'Douls if you can find it...it's usually in the regular grocery store in the beverage aisle with the drink mixers (non-alcoholic Bloody Mary, Daquiri and Margarita bases). We have had friends who were recovering alcoholics who still enjoyed the taste of beer even when they couldn't have the actual alcohol...and they really enjoy this one.

MuslimahMom

#14 Guest_poise_*

Guest_poise_*
  • Guests

غير متواجدة

Posted 13 March 2008 - 01:53 PM

Asalaamu Alaikum,

JazakhiAllahu Khayran, MuslimahMom. smile.gif

#15 MissPink

MissPink

Active Sister

• Members
  • 6,057 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 13 March 2008 - 04:09 PM

Assalamu alaikom

Sister poise, Guiness is about as dark as they come, so if you use a light beer it won't taste the same.. Guiness is dark and robust.

#16 MuslimahMom

MuslimahMom

Our Sister

• Members
  • 1,629 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 13 March 2008 - 06:27 PM

Asalam aliekum,

Guinness is very dark, called stout to be exact which is heavier than ale. But I don't think as good as Guinness is that it makes a non-alcoholic version which is what sister poise asked for.

As well for the discussion about being 21 and buying cooking sherry, I would still read the label as that doesn't mean it doesn't contain alcohol. You don't have to be "of age" to buy pure vanilla and we all know that has alcoholic content, as do some mouthwashes.

MuslimahMom

#17 Barbara

Barbara

Active Sister

• Members
  • 3,843 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 13 March 2008 - 07:08 PM

Assalam'alaikum,

Sorry for the wrong info, then.  In my memory, Guinness was blond, but you guys are probably right.  Many beer companies, though, make all the shades of beers.

Barbara

#18 Umm_Z

Umm_Z

Our Sister

• Members
  • 1,941 posts
  • Interests:<br />

غير متواجدة

Posted 13 March 2008 - 09:28 PM

assalamualaikum warahmatullaah

We love chilli in this house  cool.gif  

Could you post the recipe dear sis poise? Jazakallaah khayr! smile.gif

#19 marshmallow

marshmallow

Our Sister

• Members
  • 2,732 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 25 March 2008 - 10:48 AM

Assalamu alaykum,

All this fascination with beer and wine in cooking, etc. If the recipe had pig blood, would you endevour to find a replacement, Oh this pig was raised in a clean environment, and when they took the blood, they cleaned it with bleach and now its white, so we can use it. Ya allah, sorry to sound so rude and, unfortunately not very marshmallowy, but ive had it with many things recently, and seen as you all are my dearest friends in the world, i am exploding on you. Hope you enjoyed my explosion.

I have stress up to my mouth, and one last straw im gonna puke it all up. As untill now i am trying to hold my tongue, but its completely impossible, facing life situations everyday. Life here is a real eye opener to how and where we are going as an ummah, and why we are facing difficulties.

Boiling over is an understatement.

Inshallah we have  week left........................................................

salams sarah

#20 MissLatifah

MissLatifah

Our Sister

• Members
  • 647 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 25 March 2008 - 11:34 AM

As-salamu alaikum,

SubhanAllah I did not know beer was even an option, as I always thought there is still some 0.sth - 5% alcohol in it. My curiousness lead me to research and this confirms that non-alcoholic beer in Europe contains up to 5% alcohol:
http://alcohol-statistics-in-europe.own69....ntains_alcohol/

Maybe your beer brands are different than here in Germany? But here it is not an option to use it. Wa Allahu A3lam.

Here even "dry alcoholics" are not allowed to drink it. http://alcoholism.about.com/cs/relapse/a/aa000104a.htm

Sister Marshmallow, are you in Saudi right now? Just curious blush.gif .

Edited by MissLatifah, 25 March 2008 - 11:37 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users