11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_musaafirah_*

Guest_musaafirah_*
  • Guests

غير متواجدة

نقاط الإعجاب: 0

Posted 04 February 2010 - 09:52 PM

Asalaamu Alaykum,

Muhammad is 5 months now and I am planning on starting solids in a month or so (at 6 months) if he is ready for it. As it is, my family and sisters that are friends from their community have been giving me a lot of flack for the fact I haven't started him on cereal yet (puh-lease) and trying to tell me that women don't have enough milk to sustain a baby of this age without adding cereal and baby food (can someone tell that to 'the girls', because I still wake up soaked in milk every day mashaallah wa alhamdulilah) no matter how often and how much he drinks.

But I am so lost when it comes to starting solids, it seems so overwhelming for some reason and I know it shouldn't be. I get free baby food and baby cereal from wic so I may try some of that out but I am really interested in the whole idea of baby-led weaning (weird name since they aren't really weaning?) but I don't really know how to do it and I am petrified that he could choke. I think I will be scared off the first time he gags too even though that is normal. It makes a lot of sense from the articles I read though, so I do feel like its a good idea.

I know they make it sound like you can just feed them what you're eating but thats not true right? I mean there are still a lot of things they can't eat right away? And you aren't supposed to give them things with salt and I usually season my food quite a bit during cooking so I don't really see how they could have that. Plus, they can't eat meat right away, right?

Also how often do you feed them? I remember reading some where that you just give them like one meal a day at first for a couple of months or something? And you feed them breastmilk before and after? I am a little worried about the mess, too. How do you keep them from destroying the place if they are 'feeding themself'.

I just feel so confused and don't know where to start. Any tips/advice/additonal information?

Edited by musaafirah, 04 February 2010 - 09:54 PM.

#2 biri

biri

Our Sister

• Members
  • 618 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 05 February 2010 - 10:11 PM

Assalamu alaikum sister,

I started my son on infant rice cereal a few weeks ago. My mom told me that it might help him stay fuller longer because at the time he seemed to want to eat all the time. It didn't make any difference. He is doing very well with it though Alhamdulillah. I started feeding him at night before bedtime but now feed him twice a day, once in the late morning/early afternoon and then again before I lay him down at night. I mix about 3 tsp with 3 oz of formula or until it's a good consistency and after he finishes that I give him 3oz of the regular formula that he is used to. You'll probably have to experience a little bit with it to get it just right for your baby. I use an infant feeder...I thought at first he might have a problem with the change in the nipple but he didn't. He took right to it, MashaAllah.

I'm waiting to start the regular baby food/spoon feeding until he is 6 months if he is ready for it, InshaAllah.

#3 muslimahanna

muslimahanna

Our Sister

• Members
  • 442 posts
  • Interests: Islam! Alhamdulilah

غير متواجدة

Posted 05 February 2010 - 10:18 PM

Salam,

I dont have children, But for my summer job I was next to lactation consultants and learnt quite a lot. About starting solids at 6 months (which are recomendations here) is because in tests they have done, babys iron level is very low on breastfeeding babies compared to babys on solids at this stage... the thing is they havent found out if this is physiological (normal) for the baby  and if there is any ill effects. You also need to have a look at the western culture and see that not long ago (40-50 yrs) as soon as women had their baby they were given a pill to stop them lactating and instantly start baby on formula. Personally my suggestion is if you have the breastmilk keep baby on it!!! In Islam we are allowed to breastfeed for the first 2 yrs, so if you are happy stick with what you are doing. What ever you are doing is normal and correct- thats the thing, there is no, one correct way of doing things, it completely depends on the individual situations.

love Anna

Edited by muslimahanna, 06 February 2010 - 04:13 AM.

#4 mariemuad

mariemuad

Administrator

• Site Admin
  • 7,699 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 06 February 2010 - 05:01 AM

Assalamu alaikum,

For eating solids, I would ditch all the studies, all the customs, ...

The last two ones, I gave them what we eat. Are they unhealthy? No. A sister was told by her grandmother that the reason her baby wasn't eating is because the food was bland and didn't have any spices. The day she started putting a little bit of spices in the food, the baby started enjoy eating. Your baby has been used to the spices anyway through your milk.

You want baby-led weaning? Then let him lead you. First of all, there is no need to feed them before they can sit up (unless of course they are disabled). Once they sit up, then let him sit on your lap when you eat. If he reaches for food, then let him have it. If he is ready, he will not gag.

With ALL my kids, they started eating, then they had a cold and stoppped eating, they ate again, then stopped at the next illness, ... When you are sick yourself, you might not feel eating that much either, so listen to what he is telling you. It might be that one day he wants to eat a lot and one day he wants to eat little.

As Western countries are overweight, I don't think they are teh best countries to teach us what to do. Other countries are still with the advice that was given in Europe 50 years ago. Aggggggggghhhhhhhhh! Why did the doctors ever step in in that business? It seems that, previous to 50-100 years ago, mothers couldn't feed their babies, i.e. the the world wasn't turning round because women did everything wrong regarding breastfeeding and feeding. Over my twenty years as a mum, they changed their advice so much for pregnant women and babies that I don't trust them in that department.

I've never bought baby food. You don't need baby food. And when you give them your own food, they will most probably hate it anyway. And this is true of cereals too. Personally, I find it wrong that cereals is the first food given to babies. Cereals are hard to digest and they have been used to very digeastable food. So it makes sense to start with vegetables and not cereals or rice.

Anyway, let him take from your plate and he will tell you what he likes and what he doesn't.

Umm Hanifa

#5 mariemuad

mariemuad

Administrator

• Site Admin
  • 7,699 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 06 February 2010 - 08:34 AM

Assalamu alaikum,

QUOTE({UmmKhalid} @ Feb 6 2010, 07:55 AM) View Post

baby food and rice cereals are processed foods and cereals are mostly sugar. 'experts' say to start with baby cereal, then veggies, but not fruit, because if they eat fruit they will get used to the sweetness....

Their argument is so weak! Sweetness is in the breastmilk ANYWAY! As for the sugar in fruit, it is good as long as it is in the fruit. Natural things are better than processed things

Umm Hanifa

#6 Deeds

Deeds

Our Sister

• Members
  • 780 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 06 February 2010 - 03:06 PM

As-Salaam'Alaykum...

I have to agree with what's been written so far. I breastfed my daughter and when it came to food I thought it would be best for her to eat baby tin food... she hated it! I eat spicy food and when I stared to give her a lighter spiced version of our food she would gulp it down. She did not like to eat baby cereal or rice. But everything I cook fresh for her she will eat happily.

Initially her main source of food was breast milk. After she did not take to store bought baby food. I started her on fruits and steamed vegs. She would just hold these foods and suck them. Or I would mash it up for her to eat. I have to say that she was not eating properly until she was about 9 months old.

Also every baby is different and what one may eat another will not. Now at 11 months she happily eats what we eat. We have a healthy diet... lots of fruit, vegs, lentils. Also she started eat meat around 10 months old. She has no problem with eating spicy food and enjoys it. Masha'Allah.

She is not a chubby baby, she is tall and healthy for her age. Masha'Allah.

#7 Deeds

Deeds

Our Sister

• Members
  • 780 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 06 February 2010 - 03:10 PM

I also wanted to add that, when a baby first starts eating, if they eat even one tablespoon of food; that's a lot for them. Don't expect your son to consume much food. Always make up a small amount and increase/decrease depending on his feeding habits.

HTH's.

#8 Ilovefajr

Ilovefajr

Our Sister

• Banned
  • 845 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 06 February 2010 - 03:17 PM

Salam Alaikum Sister,

This is so important I have not even read the other sisters posts Sister. Please don't listen to people who say feed baby whatever you are eating!!!! NO WAY!!!! So dangerous!

Since you are looking at the whole picture, please try to get a hold of dr jack newman's book on breastfeeding or read some web sites about him so you can find out where to get his book and some advice. Please sister he writes about all this. It's so important and you and baby deserve competent advice.

Salam Alaikum

#9 Guest_musaafirah_*

Guest_musaafirah_*
  • Guests

غير متواجدة

Posted 06 February 2010 - 07:36 PM

Asalaamu Alaykum,

Jazakhiallahu khayr sisters. Awesome advice and it definitely clears things up quite a bit.

I know you guys fed your children what you had, but as an example, what kinds of foods would that entail? Like what kind of foods would you give them from your plate?

#10 Ummohamed1

Ummohamed1

Our Sister

• Members
  • 907 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 07 February 2010 - 08:53 AM

Assalamu alaykum,

Please, read this if u want to start solids before baby is 6 months old.
http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html

My sister is dietitian and when she came to London and heard all these women starting solids she was shocked coz u might cause lots of harm long term.

Karima

#11 Guest_musaafirah_*

Guest_musaafirah_*
  • Guests

غير متواجدة

Posted 07 February 2010 - 03:35 PM

Asalaamu Alaykum,

No worries, I am NOT starting solids before 6 months. I am just overwhelmed by the information so I am trying to get info from now but as for when I actually start Muhammad on solids, it could be 6 months, 7 months, 8 months LOL, you never know, when he shows me he is ready and he is not from what I can see as of now (and he is only 5 months so I have no desire to start. I am in no hurry). Just other people have been giving me a lot of flack due to culture. They think its crazy not to be pounding down some cereal in their bottle at a couple months old.

And I totally missed Ilovefajr's post when I posted before. Why sis? Baby-led-weaning is pretty widely accepted choice in terms of starting solids.

#12 Guest_musaafirah_*

Guest_musaafirah_*
  • Guests

غير متواجدة

Posted 07 February 2010 - 03:48 PM

Asalaamu Alaykum,

I just read that article by the way and it is a great read mashaallah sis. I'm glad to know that its not a prob to delay starting solids even to 8 months if you choose. My dh keeps asking me why I can't just breastfeed him exclusively to one year LOL and I'm like I wish because the diapers are so much easier right now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users