8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_musaafirah_*

Guest_musaafirah_*
  • Guests

غير متواجدة

نقاط الإعجاب: 0

Posted 16 March 2009 - 08:14 PM

Asalaamu Alaykum,

I'm not exactly sure how to put what I want to say into words, but I will try inshaallah.

I take the view that images (like printed photographs) are haraam. So, I am wondering what the scholars who also take this view say in regards to baby and children's clothing that have animals on it. Not pictures of animals, but rather like those little cutesy animated type pictures of animals that they put on children's things and clothes. Are they  unrealistic enough that they don't qualify as tasweer or do they still fall under that category?

Also, how do you sisters who do not buy clothes and childrens things with such stuff on it manage, what do you find instead?

I'm not sure if I was clear, but this is the best I could do.

#2 Umm_Su

Umm_Su

Our Sister

• Members
  • 331 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 17 March 2009 - 06:42 PM

Asalaamu Alaykum. Sister i have no trouble at all finding clothing without any pics. I never saw this has a problem. They have many clothing, shoes, jackets etc. without pictures.

salaamu alakum

#3 Ola

Ola

Active Sister

• Members
  • 7,066 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 18 March 2009 - 08:39 AM

Assalaamu alaikum,

Fatwa No. :  87564
Fatwa Title : Pictures on children's clothes
Fatwa Date : 02 Rabee' Al-Awwal 1425 / 22-04-2004

Question  
My question, that I would like to be answered is, is it permissible to dress your baby/children with clothing which has pictures on them such as teddy bears and other animal characters in them. My husband saying that I’m being to extreme because I don’t want to dress my baby with clothes with animals on them. He believes that nothing is wrong with that. I heard that the angels wouldn’t guard the child with pictures on there clothing. Is that true? Can you please provide me with the necessary Hadith, Ayah which tells if it is permissible or not.

Fatwa

Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the Worlds; and may His blessings and peace be upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon all his Family and Companions.

There are many Ahadith that prove the prohibition of photography; you may read them in our previous Fatawa: 83020, 83249 and 87005.

However, we are of the opinion that the prohibition does not apply to the pictures that are on the garments since they are humiliated and there is no meaning of any respect in the pictures of a cat, a bear, etc.  

The Ahadith which prove that the angels do not enter a house where a dog or a picture exist do not apply to the protecting angels who record the deeds of a human being, protect his provision, life, and protect him/her from Jinn, too.  Many scholars such as al-Nawawi, al-Mubarak Poori and others are of this opinion.

Allah knows best.

Fatwa answered by:  The Fatwa Center at Islamweb

#4 Ola

Ola

Active Sister

• Members
  • 7,066 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 18 March 2009 - 08:50 AM

Assalaamu alaikum,

Another fatwa: http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/12422

#5 UmmHafsah

UmmHafsah

Our Sister

• Members
  • 674 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 19 March 2009 - 02:14 AM

Assalamu aliakum,

I also go by the same opinion.  I don't know exactly what the shar3ee opinion is regarding the cartoonified animals, but what I personally do with the girls stuff is avoid anything that represents an animal.  So even if it's not exactly a giraffe but supposed to a be a cute, cartoonified giraffe, I just avoid it.  But if it's some made-up creature that is a fiction of the imagination, and is not intended to resemble an animate being, I'll use it.  Again, this is just what I do... I don't have any fatwas stating any of the above, which is why I tried to be overly careful so as not to go into something I'm not sure of.

#6 MissPink

MissPink

Active Sister

• Members
  • 6,057 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 19 March 2009 - 02:42 PM

Assalamu alaikom

I don't hang pictures in my home, but they are still all around my house in the form of magazines, tv, newsletters from school, etc..  I don't mind the images on baby clothes so much.  You can sometimes find an outfit with only hearts or only flowers or something, so I guess you could buy like 7 of those.  But you will get gifts, and it'll show up in your home!  

#7 marshmallow

marshmallow

Our Sister

• Members
  • 2,732 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 19 March 2009 - 03:32 PM

Assalamu alaykum,

i dont buy new clothes with pictures, but if they are at a car boot, or someone gives me then i use them. However the other day, my sil gave me a cute baby grow with a picture of piglet (from winnie the pooh) on it, and the word piglet on it too. Both me and dh thought it would be wierd to have clothes with the word khanzeer on them, so im not sure what to do. The actual image of piglet doesnt really look like a dirty big fat pig though. Its just the word! I dont like doggy pictures either on clothes. Rabbits and cute animals are ok, but as i said, i wouldnt buy them new.

salams sarah

#8 lowri_mai

lowri_mai

Our Sister

• Members
  • 2,344 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 19 March 2009 - 03:45 PM

Asalaamu Alaykum

it is very very possible; and actually quite easy to find kids' clothing without images, including for newborn babies.  I have been to the US and it is the same there also.  Some brands and stores have more clothing with images than others. I know in the UK some of the big supermarket brand clothing rarely has images; and it was the same with walmart etc also in the US.  At the other end of the market; the eco type brands usually don't have images either. I do find it a bit odd that some sisters are very very anti-images in all other areas of their lives believing photos to be haram, and even toys that resemble animals to be haram even for educational reasons; but when it comes to other items for the kids; bottles, schoolbags, clothing they will really not be bothered and will use it themselves and buy gifts for others with it on; often when there is a better image-free alternative available right there. I am not talking educational materials for schooling etc but really gratuitous stuff, which is much easier to avoid. I think people have their priorities all wrong.

Sophie

#9 UmmAhmad

UmmAhmad

Our Sister

• Members
  • 279 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 25 March 2009 - 10:18 PM

Assalam alaikum,

I have the same view of pictures. I used to buy plain clothes for my boys, and then later as more was avaialable clothes with pictures of trucks, cars, motor bikes, diggers etc on them and they love them. For my daughter it can be hard to find things without butterflies. But you can find heaps with flowers on them.

I find the baby products frustrating as they have images of babies on them and I have to keep scrubbing them out or hiding the packet away out of sight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users