5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Amani S._*

Guest_Amani S._*
  • Guests

غير متواجدة

نقاط الإعجاب: 0

Posted 23 December 2005 - 10:29 PM

Assalamu alaikum...

i have been told on several occasion that we are not to take prescription pain relievers because they are mood altering which makes them haram...

i get these headaches that are so severe that when they are there i just want to die...astigfurllah....i can't take the pain (they are not migraines...but tension headaches)...my head hurts just when i do something like breathe normal...

what i am given is a drug containing barbituates..which really aren't mood altering...they more affect the CNS by relaxing it...

when in severe pain (i mean severe like almost to the point of being suicidal..astigfullah)...are these drugs haram? or is it just haram to pray while taking them?

#2 sarah_anisah

sarah_anisah

Active Sister

• Members
  • 4,408 posts
  • Interests:Islam, my children

غير متواجدة

Posted 25 December 2005 - 09:29 AM

Assalamu Alaikum

Alhamdilullah! Already I have an answer for you sister  :wink:

Fatawa ID 27563
Date:2005-12-24 02:08:00

Question:
Assalamu alaikum... i have been told on several occasion that we are not to take prescription pain relievers because they are mood altering which makes them haram... i get these headaches that are so severe that when they are there i just want to die...astigfurllah....i can't take the pain (they are not migraines...but tension headaches)...my head hurts just when i do something like breathe normal... what i am given is a      containing barbituates..which really aren't mood altering...they more affect the CNS by relaxing it... when in severe pain, are these       haram? or is it just haram to pray while taking them? _________________

Answered by Sheikh Dr.`Abd al-Rahmân Ahmad F. al-Jar`î

Professor at King Khâlid University

It is unlawful to use as anesthetics materials such as alcohol and other substances that causes incoherence of the mind, because they are intoxicants. The Prophet (peace be upon him) has           these substances by saying: “Every intoxicant is          .” [Sahîh Muslim]

Exceptional cases can be taken into consideration where there is dire need.

The principle of necessity can be applied on the basis of the Islamic principle; “Necessity legalizes prohibitions”. This principle is taken from Allah’s saying: “He has explained to you in detail what is           to you except under compulsion of necessity.” [Sűrah al-An`âm: 119].

As an example for lawful necessity is using anesthetics in surgeries that can not be performed without using them, otherwise the patient’s life will be in danger. This will include such procedures as open heart surgery. Hence it is lawful to use an anesthetic in this case.

It is also lawful to use anesthetics in some extremely painful operations such as operations for removal of bodily organs where the patient suffers severe pain. Scholars have formed the following general principle:  “A need is to be treated as a necessity in Islamic Law whether it is a general need or an individual need.”

Regarding your question about that     , you have to consider using it on a case by case basis. If a person needs it so badly and cannot do without it because of the pain or severe anxiety he would otherwise suffer, it is lawful to use it. However, for minor pain that can be reduced by local anesthetics or for just removing the fear some patients might have, using an intoxicating      as a form of anesthesia will not be justified.

And Allah knows best.

#3 Guest_Amani S._*

Guest_Amani S._*
  • Guests

غير متواجدة

Posted 29 December 2005 - 03:59 AM

Assalamu alaikum ...

jazakallahukhair...

but what about praying while taking them?

#4 khadi1

khadi1

Active Sister

• Members
  • 8,066 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 29 December 2005 - 03:17 PM

Assalamou aleikoum wa Rahmatoullah wa barakatou,

dear sis Amani, back to www.islamtoday. com with the following question :wink:  :

Assalamou aleikoum wa Rahmatoullah wa barakatou,
dear Shaykh, what is the ruling concerning one who has to take medication containing a kind of barbiturics or medication that make them drowzy and praying? Is it haram to pray while taking this kind of medication?
Jazakallahu khayr and May ALlah reward you for your time and effort. ameen

Inshallah, it will not be long before we have an answer.

In the meantime, I'll relock your post blah blah blah, blah blah blah biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif (you know the drill,lol)

take care

#5 khadi1

khadi1

Active Sister

• Members
  • 8,066 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 07 January 2006 - 08:04 PM

[quote="khadi1"]Assalamou aleikoum wa Rahmatoullah wa barakatou,

dear sis Amani, back to www.islamtoday. com with the following question :wink:  :

[quote]Assalamou aleikoum wa Rahmatoullah wa barakatou,
dear Shaykh, what is the ruling concerning one who has to take medication containing a kind of barbiturics or medication that make them drowzy and praying? Is it haram to pray while taking this kind of medication?
Jazakallahu khayr and May ALlah reward you for your time and effort. ameen[/quote]

Here is your answer inshallah :

[font=Comic Sans MS:31efd3653a]Fatawa ID: 28121

Date: 2006-01-06 00:14:00

Dear questioner:

Al-Salâm `Alaykum wa Rahmah Allah wa Barakâtuh.

As long as the medication does not seriously impair her rational faculties, then it will have no effect upon her prayers.

And Allah knows best.

Fatwâ Department Research Committee of IslamToday chaired by Sheikh `Abd al-Wahhâb al-Turayrî[/font:31efd3653a]

#6 Guest_Amani S._*

Guest_Amani S._*
  • Guests

غير متواجدة

Posted 07 January 2006 - 10:54 PM

Assalamu alaikum ...

JazakAllahuKhair

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users