7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_poise_*

Guest_poise_*
  • Guests

غير متواجدة

نقاط الإعجاب: 0

Posted 01 November 2007 - 05:34 PM

Asalaamu Alaikum,

I made these up a while ago and they were such a hit! Extremely yummy and pretty simple.

Clean a whole chicken and put in a large pot. Sprinkle GENEROUSLY with cayenne and add salt, pepper, garlic, a little chili powder, and some cilantro. Add water and boil until the chicken is falling off the bone. Then, debone the chicken and shred the meat with your fingers, put into a large pan/small pot.

Depending on how much spice you added, the chicken will prob be pretty bland so you will be adding a lot more spices. The key to this recipe is continuous TASTING. Add some garlic (finely chopped), some onion (finely chopped), a little oil (I used corn oil), and a little of the broth left from the chicken (a small amount, just to add flavor). Sautee and add one can of red enchilada sauce (I used El Paso, you could definitely use homemade and I totally would have, it would prob make it even better). Add seasoning to taste: Salt, pepper, cayenne, lots of chili powder. And I add some chopped up jalapeno as well because I like it HOT.

Heat over low, just enough for the flavors to meld together and the onions and jalapenos to be ready. In a seperate pan, put a little oil and heat corn tortillas (only for a sec), flip, and oil the other side...or grease your pan if you are using flour tortillas.

Take a second can of enchilada sauce and mix it with some salsa (I use very spicy salsa because we love a kick to our food). Take your tortilla and dip just the edge of it in the sauce mix. Put some of the chicken into the tortilla (careful not to overstuff), and sprinkle with cheese. Roll and sit in the pan with the open edge down against the bottom of the pan. Repeat this until the pan is full. Then, pour the sauce mix over the top of the enchiladas in the pan and sprinkle VERY generously with cheese. Stick in the oven at 350 for a bit, till the cheese is nicely melted. Serve with your preferred topics: I like sour cream and lettuce!

If you have extra chicken mix, you can scoop it up with some tortilla chips and sprinkle with a bit of cheese. Very yummy.

I served this with mexican rice, refried beans, tortilla chips, salsa, and queso.

My dear sisters, this meal, is what marked my transition from not knowing how to cook to intermediate cook, alhamdulilah , masha Allah!

#2 IslamIsTheSolution

IslamIsTheSolution

Our Sister

• Members
  • 709 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 27 November 2007 - 05:23 PM

wa alikom salam

Sister, i love enchiladas.. yummy! your recipe sounds good.

#3 MissPink

MissPink

Active Sister

• Members
  • 6,057 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 28 November 2007 - 04:28 AM

Assalamu alaikom

Okie dokie: just got back from Safeway and have purchased the enchilada sauce, jalapeno, garlic, and rice!

Insha'Allah I'm gonna give this a shot tomorrow smile.gif

I've been fasting for two days and tomorrow again, insha'Allah, so all this talk of food is making me go nutty!!!:Copy of food-smiley-008:

#4 MissPink

MissPink

Active Sister

• Members
  • 6,057 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 29 November 2007 - 02:18 AM

Assalamu alaikom

I made it!!!   128.gif

It turned out yummy, masha'Allah.
Here is the final product:

IPB Image

And here is the chicken mixture that I had left over (and already put in a smaller dish)

IPB Image

I had some colored peppers in my fridge, so I added those to the onions, garlic, and jalapeno that I sauteed before adding the shredded chicken.

I made rice, refried beans, salsa, and yogurt on the side (didn't have sour cream!)
I think this is too spicy for my children though sad.gif

JazakAllah khair sister poise!!!  You're doing a great job with your cooking graduations smile.gif
I've been fasting the past three days, so I"m loving this yummo food  Copy of food-smiley-008.gif

#5 MotherDove

MotherDove

Active Sister

• Members
  • 3,115 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 29 November 2007 - 02:23 AM

Assalaamu alaykum

Oh MissPink, you're so cruel to me!! It looks soooo yummy!

MotherDove

#6 Guest_poise_*

Guest_poise_*
  • Guests

غير متواجدة

Posted 29 November 2007 - 02:45 AM

Asalaamu Alaikum,

MissPink, it looks wonderful, masha Allah!

Oh, I should've added about the spiciness maybe...a couple members of my family LOVE spicy food, myself included, but a couple of members cannot eat it without getting sick...so what I did was with the chicken, right before I began to add the spices I added the non-spicy seasonings and seperated some of the mix before adding cayenne, jalapenos etc...and then for the salsa, I used mild instead of hot to mix with the enchilada sauce in the end. They still liked it. Although for the spicy version, my stepmom who loves spicy food thought it was very hot. I ate it and I thought it could use more kick though laugh.gif. But I can definitely see where it might have been a bit too spicy for the little ones.

I'm really glad you liked it, alhamdulilah. Its funny but when you posted here yesterday saying you were going to make it, I was so surprised. I realized that even though I posted it up, I didn't expect anyone to actually cook it biggrin.gif for some reason.

Thanks for the pictures though, they are so nice, masha Allah.

Edited by poise, 29 November 2007 - 02:47 AM.

#7 MissPink

MissPink

Active Sister

• Members
  • 6,057 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 29 November 2007 - 03:52 AM

QUOTE(poise @ Nov 28 2007, 06:45 PM) View Post

Its funny but when you posted here yesterday saying you were going to make it, I was so surprised. I realized that even though I posted it up, I didn't expect anyone to actually cook it biggrin.gif for some reason.

Thanks for the pictures though, they are so nice, masha Allah.

Assalamu alaikom

laugh.gif  you cracked me up!! You didn't expect anyone to cook it LOLOLOL

Copy of food-smiley-002.gif

Alhamdullah, they ate it in the end.  They just weren't ready for dinner the first time I tried.  45 minutes later and they gobbled it up!  I always have plain yogurt in the fridge for times like this when the food is a little spicy.

It cools it right off, masha'Allah.

Also, I like it a little hot, and I didn't feel like making two portions smile.gif

MotherDove.. I'm so sorry dearie!!! You know I'd make you a whole dish for your family if you were closer by  laugh.gif

#8 MissPink

MissPink

Active Sister

• Members
  • 6,057 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 29 November 2007 - 02:41 PM

Assalamu alaikom

Ok, don't laugh y'all but I had chicken enchiladas at 5:30am for suhoor since I'm fasting today!!

laugh.gif  laugh.gif  laugh.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users