15 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Amani S._*

Guest_Amani S._*
  • Guests

غير متواجدة

نقاط الإعجاب: 0

Posted 05 April 2004 - 03:36 PM

Assalamu alaikum...

I am not sure where to post this but I guess this one because in the end it has to do with a health issue...

I know that we are supposed to not tell our sins but in order to understand why i am asking the question i must kind of tell my sin...

I have made the decision to wear niqab but I made a deal with myself about it...I must quit smoking before i put the niqab on.  The problem is I have been trying to quit smoking since I converted to Islam.  I've tried the basic things that people suggest...chew gum, keep candy and suckers around, etc...and it doesn't seem to help.  I think the issue is more the hand to mouth habit then the addiction.

If anyone has any suggestions on tips or ideas on how to help stop...please post them.

amani

#2 fathma

fathma

Our Sister

• Members
  • 939 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 05 April 2004 - 03:46 PM

Assallamu Alaikum,

Sister maybe the niqqab will stop you smoking??
I don't really have anything to advise, but i'm sure this is a difficult thing to stop., Just take things slow, cut out say 5 a day.. then reduce it slowly??  i haven't got much time at the mo.. so inshallah i will be back later...
take care...
Allahhaffiz

#3 bidoonism

bidoonism

Our Sister

• Members
  • 105 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 05 April 2004 - 07:12 PM

Asalamu Alaikum,

Maybe this might help sometimes learning that something is forbidden in Islam makes you stop doing it faster Insha'Allah

Question :

Is smooking permitted in islam? And is chewing of tobacco permitted in islam.

Answer :

Praise be to Allaah.

Smoking is haraam, because it is evil and because it causes a great deal of harm. Allaah has permitted to His slaves only good kinds of food and drink, and He has forbidden the bad kinds. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“he allows them as lawful At Tayyibaat (i.e. all good and lawful as regards things, deeds, beliefs, persons and foods), and prohibits them as unlawful Al Khabaa’ith (i.e. all evil and unlawful as regards things, deeds, beliefs, persons and foods)”[al-A’raaf 7:157]  

All forms of smoking are kinds of khabaa’ith (evil and unlawful things), and they include harmful and intoxicating substances. It is haraam to deal with it in any way, whether one inhales it, chews it or deals with it in any of its other forms. It is obligatory upon every Muslim to give up these things and to hasten to repent to Allaah, and to regret having committed this sin, and to resolve never to go back to it. May Allaah help us and you to do all that is good.  

Fataawa Islamiyyah, 3/442 (www.islam-qa.com)

ALSO

Question :

why is smoking haram?

Answer :

Praise be to Allaah.

Perhaps you know that all nations of the world – Muslim and kaafir alike – have now started to fight smoking, because they know that it is very harmful. Islam forbids everything that is harmful, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “There should be no harming or reciprocating harm.”  

Undoubtedly there are foods and drinks which are beneficial and good, and others which are harmful and bad. Allaah described our Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) in the following terms (interpretation of the meaning):

“he allows them as lawful At Tayyibaat (i.e. all good and lawful as regards things, deeds, beliefs, persons and foods), and prohibits them as unlawful Al Khabaa’ith (i.e. all evil and unlawful as regards things, deeds, beliefs, persons and foods)

[al-A’raaf 7:157]

Is smoking one of the good and lawful things (al-tayyibaat) or one of the evil and unlawful things (al-khabaa’ith)?  

Secondly: it was narrated that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Allaah forbids you to trade gossip, to ask too many questions and to waste money.” And Allaah forbade wasteful extravagance when He said (interpretation of the meaning):

“and eat and drink but waste not by extravagance, certainly He (Allaah) likes not Al Musrifoon (those who waste by extravagance) [al-A’raaf 7:31]  

And He described the slaves of the Most Merciful as follows (interpretation of the meaning):

“And those who, when they spend, are neither extravagant nor niggardly, but hold a medium (way) between those (extremes)” [al-Furqaan 25:67]

The whole world now knows that the money spent on smoking is to be considered as money wasted, from which no benefit is gained; indeed, it is money spent on something harmful. If the money which is spent on smoking worldwide were to be collected, it could have saved entire populations who have died of starvation. Is there anyone more foolish that one who holds a dollar bill and sets fire to it? What is the difference between him and the one who smokes? Indeed, the smoker is more foolish, because the folly of the one who burns a dollar bill ends there, whilst the one who smokes burns his money and also harms his body.  

Thirdly: how many disasters have been caused by smoking, because of cigarette butts which are thrown away and cause fires. Other disasters have been caused in other ways, as when a house was burned down with its occupants inside, when a man lit his cigarette when there was a gas leak.

Fourthly: how many people are offended by the smell of smokers, especially when you are unfortunate enough to have one of them standing next to you in the mosque. Probably any nasty smell is easier to bear than the smell of the smoker’s mouth when he has just woken up. It is amazing how many women can put up with the smell of their husbands’ mouths! The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade those who had eaten garlic or onions from coming to the mosque so that they would not offend their fellow-worshippers with their smell. The smell of onions and garlic is easier to bear than the smell of the smoker and his mouth.  

These are some of the reasons why smoking is haraam.  

Shaykh Sa’d al-Humayd (www.islam-qa.com)

#4 khadi1

khadi1

Active Sister

• Members
  • 8,066 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 06 April 2004 - 03:00 AM

Assalamou aleikoum sister,

by what i understood from many people i knew who smoke, is that many times, the smoker does not need the nicotine, but need to occupy his hand and his mouth wiht something else than a cigarette. SO, maybe you could use chewing gum and everytime you need a cigarette, go and wash you mouth ...you'll not feel like spoiling your nice clean teeth... Inshallah. and if you feel that your hands want to reach for that pack of ciggies, just jump to your computer and post something here.... biggrin.gif
Now, you have to think of your health.  I am sure you know how it is bad and how you are damaging your lungs.
I do not mean to sound patronizing, this is not my intention, dear sis, but let me tell you something : my little boy who is five years old has, among other things, a chronic lung disease and has been fighting for every breath of oxygen that he takes since birth. He needs oxygen via a nasal canula to help his lungs. Alhamdullilah, he is lovely Mashallah. You, dear sister, on the other hand, does not have a chronic lung disease, Alhamdullilah but could inflict one on yourself for the sake of some cigarettes. I get upset (it is nothing to do with you, do not worry  biggrin.gif ) when I hear that people cannot stop smoking, then can if they really wanted to. By smoking, I feel  they are stealing this precious oxygen in the air that my little boy needs so much. Please sister, the next time you want to light up, remember my little boy....and millions like  him..sorry, I am getting a bit emotional here :? it is a subject to close from home.

My advice sister, is that you try to stop thinking of cigarettes and get busy with something else. My FIL and my BIL used to be very heavy smokers. Once they knew for sure it was haraam, they stopped. Alhamdullilah. But they surely chewed on a lot of chewing gums  8)
I'll try to find some good sites Inshallah to help you fight this habit, and again, I apologise if I sounded a bit too harsh...

#5 Sakinaa

Sakinaa

Our Sister

• Members
  • 310 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 06 April 2004 - 02:15 PM

Assalemo alaykum,

I know a sister who is having the same battle as you.
She bought some kind of a pen from the chemist that si made for people who want to kick the habit it is designed to occupy the hand to mouth habit !

hope that helps Sakina. :wink:

#6 bidoonism

bidoonism

Our Sister

• Members
  • 105 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 06 April 2004 - 02:21 PM

Asalamu Alaikum

Sis Khadi your post brought tears to my eyes :cry:  May Allah heal and give your son the strongest of health Insha'Allah. I have a daughter who is 5 too, and my heart goes out to you because at this age they are still small but kindof big you know what I mean. To me she is still little and needs me but she thinks she is big and independent.

BTW, when I was engaged to my husband I made it a obligation for him to quit smoking before I would marry him.  :wink: because first it wsa haram and then also I have plurisy and my lungs can't take much, If i am around smoke I can't breath literally, my doctor told me once "no smoking no being around smoking and no scuba diving"  
My husband quit in one day and never turned back. Alhamdileh

#7 fathma

fathma

Our Sister

• Members
  • 939 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 06 April 2004 - 04:23 PM

Assallamu Alaikum sisters,

Sister Khadi1  
Sis Khadi your post brought tears to my eyes  May Allah heal and give your son the strongest of health Insha'Allah.

Sister bidoonism you said exactly what i was thinking,
Your son is a blessing from Allah sister, may he improve in health. give him a *hug* from me!!

Sister Amani, I have a link for you ..
http://www.itv.com/page.asp?partid=1045

This is a quote from it ..
Allen also feels that the reasons we give for smoking are irrational. He says: \"We say we need a fag to help us concentrate; then we say we like to smoke when we're bored. We say we need a cigarette to help us sleep and to help us wake up in the morning. These are all opposing reasons for smoking and make no logical sense at all.\"

He continues...
\"Smokers often say they enjoy smoking but when you push them on the reasons why they like to smoke their responses become sillier and sillier: 'I like the taste', Well would you eat one? 'I like the smell', I like the smell of roses too but I don't roll and smoke them!  
\"Smokers would never encourage their children to smoke. It makes no sense at all, but they buy into the hype and think they need it, or won't be able to enjoy a meal or a night out with friends again without a smoke.\"

there are lots of reason's to give up, you only have to read sister khadi's post.
:arrow:  first of all think of ALLAH and pleasing him, don't destroy what he has given you.
:arrow:  MONEY. . Try give up completly and see how much money you will save, you could even donate that money to a cancer charity??
:arrow: HEALTH.., well you know this already.
:arrow:  CHILDREN, don't let them see you smoke than you are one less ''inspiration'' for them to start smoking.,
inshallah sister you get out of this habit.
Allah haffiz

#8 Guest_Amani S._*

Guest_Amani S._*
  • Guests

غير متواجدة

Posted 06 April 2004 - 06:29 PM

Assalamu alaikum...

Sis Khadi your post made me cry too  :cry:

It is easy to ask why do you do this to yourself...because you are right that it causes lung cancer,  emphysemy (SP?), and so many other diseases.  The most important thing is that it is haram.

The hard part is actually stopping...it is a drug addiction.  They have procedures for heroin addicts where they put them to sleep thru the withdrawal stage and then give them a drug that blocks heroin from making them high.  Not to say that to some extent the addicts don't still suffer because they do somewhat.

They don't have anything for smokers...the don't have cigarette rehab.  Some people may laugh at that but i am serious.  My personal opinion is that cigarettes need to be just as illegal as other street drugs.

The health issue on this topic is the pleasent side effect to the real reason I want to quit.  I want to quit because it is haram.  I know that continuing to smoke angers Allah (SWT) and I don't want to do that.  

I try to quit...I don't have one for 1 1/2 days and then the real bad withdrawls kick in...then I start reasoning with myself (big mistake)...well just smoke one it will be ok...then next thing you know...instead of one it is 3.  

So I guess my next question is...The withdrawls...is that punishment from Allah (SWT) or is that Shayten trying to keep you smoking?

Again I know that telling our sins is haram...but i also know that i am not the only sister on the forum who smokes and wants to quit...I hope that by starting this thread we can give other sisters little tips to make this easier.  No one has to admit to smoking just because they give a suggestion.  Many people know someone else who has quit and maybe saw something they did.

amani

#9 khadi1

khadi1

Active Sister

• Members
  • 8,066 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 06 April 2004 - 08:41 PM

Assalamou aleikoum,

Oh dear sisters, I did not want to make anyone feel guilty. So sooorry, my battle is my little boy, but other sisters have other just as hard battles, and yours, sis Amani, is not easy. I did not want to sound judgemental. Your sin is yours and  I have mine  :cry:  :cry:  :cry: and we are all here to support you. In fact, thank you for posting this post, because I am referring you to our Well Woman clinic .....

#10 Guest_Amani S._*

Guest_Amani S._*
  • Guests

غير متواجدة

Posted 06 April 2004 - 09:32 PM

QUOTE(khadi1)
Assalamou aleikoum,

Oh dear sisters, I did not want to make anyone feel guilty. So sooorry, my battle is my little boy, but other sisters have other just as hard battles, and yours, sis Amani, is not easy. I did not want to sound judgemental. Your sin is yours and  I have mine  :cry:  :cry:  :cry: and we are all here to support you. In fact, thank you for posting this post, because I am referring you to our Well Woman clinic .....

Assalamu alaikum...

Sis Khadi you didn't make me feel guilty in a bad way...it was good.  U are right in the fact that too many times we takes things for granted (I.E.,  good lungs) and ruin them...For what???????

You don't have to apologize for the truth!

amani

#11 Guest_Amani S._*

Guest_Amani S._*
  • Guests

غير متواجدة

Posted 06 April 2004 - 09:33 PM

Assalamu alaikum...

:oops: hit submit twice...

amani

#12 khadi1

khadi1

Active Sister

• Members
  • 8,066 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 08 April 2004 - 12:33 AM

Assalamou aleikoum sisters,

Sis Amani, I said I referred you to the IslamwaySisters Well Woman clinic, but I forgot to give you the link. It is in a sticky somewhere.... biggrin.gif

http://sisters.islamway.com/phpBB2/viewtop...p?p=40682#40682

#13 Sister_Nadira

Sister_Nadira

Our Sister

• Members
  • 374 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 08 April 2004 - 02:05 AM

Salam Alaikum:

Can you try a nicotine replacement, like the nicotine patch or gum? Nicotine is powerfully addictive, you can't quash a mental and physical addiction without either hugely strong willpower or an aid of some sort. With nicotine replacements, you are slowly weened off the nicotine so that you don't go through the terrible withdrawal (which can last one to two weeks for most people).

There are a few places in America now that offer nicotine rehab. I don't know why there aren't more, all over. Cigarettes should become illegal.

I am a nicotine addict myself. I've managed to quit seven times and I'm almost afraid to try again because I keep failing (by starting up again.) Bleeeehhh. I know I need to quit, I wanna be smoke-free, but... bleeeeh. You know?  sad.gif I've quit seven times in seven years... *sigh* It's very depressing to me, for so many reasons, that I just can't seem to get this monkey off my back. sad.gif

I want to try the gum. I had great success with the nicotine patch but I've developed a sensitivity to it and can't use them at all anymore. I'm just afraid to try because I don't want to fail again. I've failed so many times with this. Picking up this habit was the dumbest thing I've ever done in my entire life.

#14 Guest_Amani S._*

Guest_Amani S._*
  • Guests

غير متواجدة

Posted 08 April 2004 - 09:02 PM

QUOTE(Sister_Nadira)
Salam Alaikum:

Can you try a nicotine replacement, like the nicotine patch or gum? Nicotine is powerfully addictive, you can't quash a mental and physical addiction without either hugely strong willpower or an aid of some sort. With nicotine replacements, you are slowly weened off the nicotine so that you don't go through the terrible withdrawal (which can last one to two weeks for most people).  

There are a few places in America now that offer nicotine rehab. I don't know why there aren't more, all over. Cigarettes should become illegal.  

I am a nicotine addict myself. I've managed to quit seven times and I'm almost afraid to try again because I keep failing (by starting up again.) Bleeeehhh. I know I need to quit, I wanna be smoke-free, but... bleeeeh. You know?  :( I've quit seven times in seven years... *sigh* It's very depressing to me, for so many reasons, that I just can't seem to get this monkey off my back. sad.gif

I want to try the gum. I had great success with the nicotine patch but I've developed a sensitivity to it and can't use them at all anymore. I'm just afraid to try because I don't want to fail again. I've failed so many times with this. Picking up this habit was the dumbest thing I've ever done in my entire life.

Assalamu alaikum...

I thought about the nicotine replacement but I think that would still be haram...you are still using the drug nicotine.  I think I will ask in the question area.

amani

#15 Sister_Nadira

Sister_Nadira

Our Sister

• Members
  • 374 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 09 April 2004 - 03:06 AM

Walaikum Asalam, Amani. That is not something I even stopped to wonder about, but I imagine since it is a way to stop an even filthier habit (it's not the nicotine that will kill you, but all the chemicals in the cigarettes) it is hopefully allowable. Because nicotine *is* a mental and physical addiction, like heroin (and they say nicotine is harder to quit than heroin!) And the patch, or the gum, is only used for a specific amount of time, and then you stop using it altogether.

If a person can't quit cold turkey (and believe me, it's very difficult to quit cold turkey), I think it would be better that they stick a nicotine patch on their arm vs lighting up a cigarette. It will be interesting to read the answer on that one. I know the patch helped me quit soooooo easily, and soooo quickly.

For someone who's never smoked, it's hard to imagine the insidious way the addiction grabs hold of you. It's like, say, if starting tomorrow you tried to stop eating ever again. You'd think about food a lot. You'd be very tempted to just say, "forget it, I'm going into the kitchen and getting a sandwhich!" Your tummy would hurt. You'd rationalize to yourself, "well, I will just have two bites of that sandwhich. I won't even eat the whole thing. What's two bites of food now if I'm never going to eat again after that?" And of course if you take those two bites, you want to eat the rest even more. You'd be even more tempted if you smelled someone's cooking or watched someone else eat. Etc.

Like I said, dumbest thing I've ever done in my whole life!

#16 Guest_Amani S._*

Guest_Amani S._*
  • Guests

غير متواجدة

Posted 10 April 2004 - 02:18 PM

Assalamu alaikum...

Well...Here is the answer on the nicotine patches...

http://sisters.islamway.com/phpBB2/viewtop...opic.php?t=5166

If I read that right it is not haram so Insha'allah i will give them a try.

amani

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users