4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Samiraaa_*

Guest_Samiraaa_*
  • Guests

غير متواجدة

نقاط الإعجاب: 0

Posted 04 January 2008 - 03:54 PM

Salaam aleikoum sis,
Could you please tell me whether its premissible to sleep on your belly. I heard the prophet peace be upon him slept on his right side, but I can't stay like that for the whole night. So anyway so I heard you can't sleep on your back because it resembles kaffirs or something and can't sleep on your belly either so that only leaves your right and left side. Anyway I would love it if you could explain this to me. unsure.gif And I wanted to ask what I should do if I made a mistake during my prayer...like saying the sjahada at the 3th raka'a when actually it should be at the 4th...and other things like that. Sorry if these questions allready have been asked! unsure.gif Jazak Allahu khayran sis.
Lots of love,
Samira

#2 Ola

Ola

Active Sister

• Members
  • 7,066 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 05 January 2008 - 07:22 PM

Assalaamu alaikum,

Regarding sleeping on the belly, inshaAllah the following answers your question. I'll be back to answer the rest of your questions, inshaAllah:

How should a baby be put to sleep when the doctors say it is best to place the child on his stomach?

Question:
Can you please advice me on baby sleeping manner/position. Doctors say that to put baby lying down on her stomach is good, but i just came across about Muhammad prohibit that kind of position.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly:

With regard to the prohibition on sleeping on one's stomach, it was narrated by Ahmad and Abu Dawood (5040) that Takhfah ibn Qays al-Ghifaari said: When I was lying on my stomach in the mosque just before dawn, a man nudged me with his foot and said: “This manner of lying is hated by Allaah.” I looked and saw that it was the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).

Ibn Majaah (3724) narrated from Ibn Takhfah al-Ghifaari that Abu Dharr said: The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) passed by me and I was lying on my stomach. He kicked me with his foot and said: “O Junaydib! This is how the people of Hell lie.”

The ahaadeeth which speak of the prohibition on sleeping on one’s stomach vary in their degree of soundness. Some scholars classed them as da’eef (weak) such as al-Bukhaari, al-Daaraqutni, Ibn Abi Haatim and Ibn Rajab, and others classed them as saheeh or hasan, such as Ahmad Shaakir in Tahqeeq al-Musnad (14/248-249) and al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood.

Secondly:

Sleeping on one's stomach is harmful from a health point of view, for both young and old. There are medical reports which speak of a high death rate among infants who suffocated because they were put to sleep on their stomachs, as well as allergies because of the nose being too close to the bedding, if the bedding is made of sponge or wool and collects a large number of germs and microbes.

Yes, sleeping on the stomach is good for expelling wind, but always doing that is harmful, as stated above.

The child should become accustomed to sleeping on his right side, because this is the best manner of sleeping, and is in accordance with the Sunnah of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), and is beneficial for the body.
It says in a medical report: Sleeping on the right side is the healthy position, because the left lung is smaller than the right, so the heart is under less pressure and the liver is settled and not suspended, and the stomach is resting comfortably on top of it, which as we have seen makes it easier to eliminate the food that is in it after it has been digested. Sleeping on the right side is also regarded as the best medical procedure that makes it easy for the tubes of the left lung to expel mucus discharges.

As for sleeping on the left side, it is not acceptable, because in that case the heart will be beneath the pressure of the right lung, which is larger than the left, and this will affect its function and make it less active, specially in those who are elderly. The full stomach will also be under pressure, which will increase the pressure on the heart and liver – which is the heaviest organ – which will not be fixed, rather it will be hanging, as it is located on the right side, so it will put pressure on the heart and on the digestive tract which will delay elimination.

Experiments have proven that the passage of food from the stomach to the intestines takes between 2.5 and 4.5 hours, if a person is sleeping on his right side, but it takes 5 to 8 hours if he sleeps on his left side.

See: al-Tibb al-Nabawi fi Daw’ al-‘Ilm al-Hadeeth by Dr. Ghiyaath al-Ahmad, and al-Nawm ‘ala al-Jihah al-Yumna by Dr. Ibraaheem al-Raawi.

So children should be trained to sleep on their right sides, following the example of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and so as to benefit their bodies.

The scholars of the Standing Committee were asked: is it true that it is bad to sleep on the stomach? I was told that sleeping on the stomach is makrooh because that is how the shaytaan sleeps, but I have been used to sleeping in this position since I was small, and I still do that now because it is my habit. What is the ruling on that?

They replied: It is makrooh to sleep on the stomach, because of the report narrated by Abu Dawood from Takhfah ibn Qays al-Ghifaari, who said: When I was lying on my stomach in the mosque just before dawn, a man nudged me with his foot and said: “This manner of lying is hated by Allaah.” I looked and saw that it was the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).

Narrated by Abu Dawood in a chapter entitled: “A man who lies on his stomach.” So that should be given up even if it is one’s habit, because it is prescribed for the Muslim to give up habits that go against sharee’ah. End quote.

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah (26/146).

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

#3 Ola

Ola

Active Sister

• Members
  • 7,066 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 06 January 2008 - 05:06 PM

Assalaamu alaikum,

Regarding making an unintentional mistake during prayer, I would encourage you to read the following: http://www.islamicawakening.com/viewarticl...?articleID=1060

It explains it very well mashaAllah. Hope I've helped.

#4 Guest_Samiraaa_*

Guest_Samiraaa_*
  • Guests

غير متواجدة

Posted 06 January 2008 - 06:00 PM

Salaam aleikoum,

Yes sis you helped me. Jazak Allahu khayran...but sleeping on your back also isnt permissble?

#5 Ola

Ola

Active Sister

• Members
  • 7,066 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 07 January 2008 - 06:29 PM

Assalaamu alaikum,

Oops...I forgot to search sleeping on your back.  Copy of frogtub.gif
Hope the following helps:

Guidelines of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) concerning sleep

Question:
I want to know how the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to sleep. Did he sleep on a bed or on the floor? Did he used to recite a specific du’aa’ when he wanted to sleep?

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.  
The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to sleep sometimes on a mattress, sometimes on a leather mat, sometimes on a mat made of palm leaves, sometimes on the floor, sometimes on a bed, sometimes on the sand, and sometimes on a black cloak.

‘Abbaad ibn Tameem said, narrating from his paternal uncles: I saw the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) lying on his back in the mosque, putting one leg on top of the other. (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 475; Muslim, 2100).

His mattress was made of leather stuffed with palm fibres, and he had a coarse woollen cloth that he would fold over twice and sleep on.

The point is that he slept on a mattress and covered himself with a blanket. He said to his wives: “Jibreel never came to me whilst I was under the blanket of any one of you apart from ‘Aa’ishah.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 3775).

His pillow was also leather stuffed with palm fibres.

When he went to bed to sleep, he would say: “Allaahumma bismika ahyaa wa amoot (O Allaah, in Your name I live and die).” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 7394).

He used to put his hands together and blow into them, then recite Qul Huwa Allaahu ahad, Qul a’oodhu bi Rabb il-Falaq and Qul a’oodhu bi Rabb il-Naas [i.e., the last three soorahs of the Qur’aan), then he would wipe his hands over as much of his body as he could, starting with his head and face, and the front part of his body. He would do that three times.

He used to sleep on his right side, putting his right hand under his right cheek, then he would say: “Allaahumma qini ‘adhaabaka yawma tab’ath ‘ibaadaka (O Allaah, protect me from Your punishment on the Day You resurrect Your slaves).”

And when he went to bed he used to say: “Al-hamdu Lillaah alladhi at’amanaa wa saqaanaa wa kafaanaa wa aawanaa fakam mimman laa kaafi lahu wa laa mu’wi (All praise is for Allaah, Who fed us and gave us to drink, and Who is sufficient for us and has sheltered us, for how many have none to suffice them or shelter them).” This was narrated by Muslim, who also narrated that he used to say when he went to bed:

“Allaahumma Rabb al-samawaati wa’l-ard wa Rabb al-‘arsh il-‘azeem, Rabbaanaa wa Rabba kulli shay’in, Faaliq al-habb wa’l-nawa wa munzil al-Tawraati wa’l-Injeeli wa’l-Furqaan, a’oodhu bika min sharri kulli shay’in anta aakhidhun bi naasiyatihi. Allaahumma anta al-awwal fa laysa qablaka shay’un, wa anta al-aakhir fa laysa ba’daka shay’un, wa anta al-zaahir fa laysa fawqaka shay’un wa anta al-baatin fa laysa doonaka shay’un. Iqdi ‘annaa al-dayna wa aghninaa min al-faqri (O Allaah, Lord of the seven heavens and the exalted Throne, our Lord and Lord of all things, splitter of the seed and the date-stone, Revealer of the Tawraat and the Injeel and the Furqaan [Qur’aan], I seek refuge in You from the evil of all things You shall seize by the forelock [have total mastery over]. O Allaah, You are the First so there is nothing before You, and You are the Last so there is nothing after You. You are al-Zaahir [the greatest and highest] so there is nothing above You, and You are al-Baatin [aware of the subtlest secrets] so there is nothing closer than You. Settle our debt for us and spare us from poverty).” (Narrated by Muslim)

When he woke up from sleep he would say: “Al-hamdu Lillaah alladhi ahyaana ba’d ma amaatana wa ilayhi al-nushoor (Praise be to Allaah Who has brought us back to life after causing us to die, and unto Him is the resurrection).” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 6312). Then he would clean his teeth using the miswaak, and recite the last ten aayahs from Soorat Aal ‘Imraan, from the verse (interpretation of the meaning):  

“Verily, in the creation of the heavens and the earth…”

[Aal ‘Imraan 3:190-200]

And he would say: “Allaahumma laka al-hamd anta noor al-samawaati wa’l-ard wa man fihinna, wa laka al-hamd anta qayyim ul-samaawaati wa’l-ard wa man fihinna, wa laka al-hamd anta al-haqq wa wa’duka al-haqq wa liqaa’uka haqq wa’l-jannatu haqq wa’l-naaru haqq wa’l-nabiyoona haqq wa Muhammadun haqq wa’l-saa’atu haqq. Allaahumma laka aslamtu wa bika aamantu wa ‘alayka tawakkaltu wa ilayka anabtu wa bika khaasamtu wa ilayka haakamtu faghfir li ma qaddamutu wa ma akhartu wa ma asrartu wa ma a’lantu anta ilaahi laa ilaaha illa anta (O Allaah, to You be praise, You are the Light of the heavens and the earth and everyone in them. To You be praise, You are the Sustainer of the heavens and the earth and everyone in them. To You be praise, You are the Truth (al-Haqq), Your promise is true, the meeting with You is true, Paradise is true, Hell is true, the Prophets are true, Muhammad is true  and the Hour is true. O Allaah, to You I submit myself, in You I believe, in You I put my trust, to You I repent, by Your help I strive (against Your enemies) and to You I refer for judgement, so forgive me my past and future sins, what I do in secret and what I do openly. You are my God and there is no god but You).” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 1120).

He used to sleep during the first part of the night and get up to pray during the last part. Sometimes he would stay up late to deal with the interests of the Muslims. His eyes slept but his heart did not. When he slept, they would not wake him up; he would be the one to wake up.

When he stopped to rest at night during a journey, he would lie down on his right side, and if he stopped to rest just before dawn he would prop his head up on his forearm, resting it in his palm. This was narrated by al-Tirmidhi.

His sleep was of the best length and it was the most beneficial of sleep. The doctors say that it is one-third of the night and day, namely eight hours.

See Zaad al-Ma’aad, 1/155

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users