how much age difference should there be in marriage?

10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Zahra Attia_*

Guest_Zahra Attia_*
  • Guests

غير متواجدة

نقاط الإعجاب: 0

Posted 23 January 2005 - 01:57 AM

salaama aleykum

#2 Sister Kamillah

Sister Kamillah

Active Sister

• Members
  • 5,633 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 23 January 2005 - 02:57 AM

asalamu alaikum,

I would not concern myself with any age difference, if you like him and his is full practicing then I dont see any problems with marrying him. Age is not a big thing and sometimes these are the best marriages.

There is a age difference between me and my husband, so I know what it is like to be married with this difference.

Some will say it is okay to sing on the Eid's.

Kamillah

#3 ummAbdul

ummAbdul

Our Sister

• Members
  • 12 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 23 January 2005 - 03:57 AM

My husband was 11 years older than me, but that didn't mean he was wiser or more mature!  Age is relative, it doesn't really matter as long as you think he's the "right" one.  Pray the istihara prayer to help you.
Good luck.

#4 D A L I

D A L I

Our Sister

• Members
  • 2,327 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 23 January 2005 - 04:19 AM

Assalamu alaikum,

yes ukhti it's ok that he's that much older than you. What matters the most is if you like his personality and see him as someone you want as your husband. Do you think on the same level do you have anything in common. Look and think about the things that will help the marriage last and strengthen with time and grow. Pray salah al istikhara and insha'Allah everything will work out for you sis.

Fi aman Allah

#5 muslima2002

muslima2002

Active Sister

• Members
  • 3,632 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 23 January 2005 - 07:45 AM

Assalamu'alaykum
Age doesn't matter  :wink:  just like the other sisters have said. My husband is also older than me...

#6 Aisha

Aisha

Active Sister

• Members
  • 5,159 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 23 January 2005 - 11:54 AM

Bismillahi Rahmanu Raheem.
As-Salaamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuh dear sisters. smile.gif

Dear Zahra Attia,

[marq=left:e3de813578]Welcome to IslamWay Sisters biggrin.gif[/marq:e3de813578]  

[marq=right:e3de813578]Welcome to IslamWay Sisters biggrin.gif[/marq:e3de813578]

Regarding your journey to Islam it sounds as though are just on the threshold of becoming a muslimah inshaAllah  biggrin.gif You may be interested to read the following topics:

Whats stopping you?
http://sisters.islamway.com/modules.php?na...iewtopic&t=4974

What's Your Story?
http://sisters.islamway.com/modules.php?na...iewtopic&t=2280

It seems that you have some major decisions to make. I think that before you  make a decision on your proposal of marriage perhaps things would be more straight-forward if you were to make that decision as a Muslimah as you seem to be so close to saying your shahadah anyway  :wink: (Also, there is a special prayer called 'istikhara' which is recommended to pray before we make important decisions especially something so important as your choice of a marriage partner - though don't feel pressured into having to do that if you are worried about learning to pray).

May Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala guide you to taking your shahadah soon inshaAllah bi'ithnillah.

Regarding the proposal of marriage I do not think that 9 years is such a big age difference especially as it is the man who is a little older (and women tend to mature earlier than men anyway). It sounds as though you are confident about him being a 'very respectable and serious muslim man' inshaAllah. Do your parents know about this proposal? InshaAllah they do not have any reservations about you becoming a muslimah or marrying a muslim.

May Allah guide you to making the decision that will benefit you in this life and the next inshaAllah.

Regarding your singing, this is really another subject. Do you mean singing in public ? Perhaps you can be more specific.

Wa Salaamu alaikum,
Om-AbdulRahman. :wink:

#7 kazz

kazz

Our Sister

• Members
  • 942 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 23 January 2005 - 05:29 PM

hey zahra

just a welcome to the forum from me

[marq=right:fc12da8c7a][b]WELCOME  biggrin.gif Welcome  biggrin.gif welcome  biggrin.gif

I think  Om-AbdulRahman, gave good advice.   take care, hope all turns out good.

love k

#8 Kasey

Kasey

Our Sister

• Members
  • 446 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 23 January 2005 - 06:28 PM

Salam aleikum..

[marq=right:aa43a59c30]Welcome to the forum!!  

I too agree that the age difference doesn't matter...I think since you are 21 and he is 30 this is a good age difference...cause a 21 year old guy is not nearly as mature as a 30 year old man and you want someone who can take care of you and be mature...I have a best friend and she was 19 and he was 29 when they married and mashallah they do not look odd and have a good marriage...so Inshallah everything will work out...I myself would rather an older husband as well (but mine is only one year older than me I am 25 and he is 26 but he is mature for his age)

Faman Allah,
kasey

#9 Guest_Nahla05_*

Guest_Nahla05_*
  • Guests

غير متواجدة

Posted 23 January 2005 - 08:31 PM

age doen't really matter, u see, my dad is ALOT OLDER than my mum, and my granddads are EVEN MORE OLDER than my grandmas.
weird....

i'm not married though, dis too young though, lolz! no i'm nearly to be it :oops:  laugh.gif

#10 nevaluv

nevaluv

Our Sister

• Members
  • 107 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 02 February 2005 - 02:31 PM

what do u all think about the age difference the other way around? the man being younger than the woman? just askin out of curiosity... oh and coz of own life experience..

#11 sarah_anisah

sarah_anisah

Active Sister

• Members
  • 4,408 posts
  • Interests:Islam, my children

غير متواجدة

Posted 02 February 2005 - 08:32 PM

Assalamu Alaikum

Well you ask of the other way around. Look at our very own example in Islam of our Prophet Muhammed (salAllahu alaihi wasallam) and his marriage to Khadiijah (radiallaahu ‘Anha)  At the time of the marriage, the Prophet (salAllahu alaihi wasallam) was twenty-five years old, while Khadijah (radiallaahu ‘Anha) was forty years old.

I am older than my husband  :wink:  it works for us Alhamdilullah  laugh.gif  laugh.gif

Sarah

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users