28 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_DJ_*

Guest_DJ_*
  • Guests

غير متواجدة

نقاط الإعجاب: 0

Posted 17 January 2008 - 02:02 PM

As Salaam Alaykum,

I must make dua for the official in this story.  I did have to laugh though, this is the first time I heard someone complain that someone was wearing too much clothing that might slow them down and still won.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080116/ap_on_...muslim_clothing

What do you other Sisters think?

Amani

#2 blueeyedgirl

blueeyedgirl

Our Sister

• Members
  • 417 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, taking care of my children.

غير متواجدة

Posted 17 January 2008 - 02:06 PM

QUOTE(DJ @ Jan 17 2008, 09:02 AM) View Post

As Salaam Alaykum,

I must make dua for the official in this story.  I did have to laugh though, this is the first time I heard someone complain that someone was wearing too much clothing that might slow them down and still won.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080116/ap_on_...muslim_clothing
What do you other Sisters think?

Amani

walaykum salam

Totally discriminatory. I hope the aclu gets involved!

#3 sakeenah34

sakeenah34

Active Sister

• Members
  • 3,412 posts
  • Interests:Reading Quran and beneficial books of knowledge, cooking, taking care of my children,

غير متواجدة

Posted 17 January 2008 - 03:56 PM

Assalamu Alaikum:
I have never heard of such a thing. Her skills should matter, not her clothing. If its not in the way, why make such a big deal out of it. Sounds like discrimination to me. Allahu Alim.

#4 Ola

Ola

Active Sister

• Members
  • 7,066 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 17 January 2008 - 04:15 PM

Assalaamu alaikum,

Of course it's discrimination, but, honestly, I think it's better for her not to join. The uniform she's wearing covers her skin, but it doesn't cover her form. Hijaab is much more than that. And Allah knows best.

#5 Sister Kamillah

Sister Kamillah

Active Sister

• Members
  • 5,633 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 17 January 2008 - 04:39 PM

As'salamu alaikum,

Unfair!! Law suit time!!!

Kamillah

#6 MissLatifah

MissLatifah

Our Sister

• Members
  • 647 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 17 January 2008 - 05:06 PM

As-salamu alaikum,

In fact not running at all would be better than running in that skin tight outfit.

#7 muwahida-01

muwahida-01

Our Sister

• Members
  • 602 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 17 January 2008 - 07:09 PM

confused-smiley-012.gif

as salaam wa alaykum

let me get this straight this sister wants to be allowed to run around in a skin tight leotard thingy are u all serious

love muwahida

#8 Umm_Z

Umm_Z

Our Sister

• Members
  • 1,941 posts
  • Interests:<br />

غير متواجدة

Posted 17 January 2008 - 07:23 PM

salaam

I read the article and just imagined her wearing her shorts and tshirt over a blue and orange abaya  laugh.gif

Edited by Umm_Z, 17 January 2008 - 07:24 PM.

#9 *mariam*

*mariam*

Active Sister

• Members
  • 3,601 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 17 January 2008 - 07:40 PM

Wa Alikum asallam warahmatu Allahi wabarakatu

If we will fight for our rights as Muslims, then we have to fight for what is right in our deen, not what we think is right. What she is wearing is no where close to Islamic hijab. In fact, it is exactly 'clothed yet naked'.

I would feel ashamed to fight for the right to wear something like this. I would feel as though I am dishonoring myself.

Mariam

#10 Barbara

Barbara

Active Sister

• Members
  • 3,843 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 17 January 2008 - 07:53 PM

Assalam'alaikum,

QUOTE(*mariam* @ Jan 17 2008, 02:40 PM) View Post

I would feel ashamed to fight for the right to wear something like this. I would feel as though I am dishonoring myself.

Mariam

Has it ever crossed your mind that she may not know better?  That maybe the imam of the masjid at the corner of her street told her it was okay?  That maybe she didn't receive the correct knowledge?  We should pray for her and ask Allah to make her come across the true knowledge and to send to her muslims who will advise her wisely.  Not everyone is as knowledgeable as you... rolleyes.gif

Barbara

Edited to clarify: What I'm driving at is that I'm sure you wouldn't go to that sister and tell her, in her face, the same thing you said in the quote above.  If she was in front of you, you would certainly advise her, but not with those words (ashamed, dishonoring oneself).  Because if you did so, she would not listen to you.  We should understand that not everyone is at the same level of understanding.

Edited by Barbara, 17 January 2008 - 08:11 PM.

#11 *mariam*

*mariam*

Active Sister

• Members
  • 3,601 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 17 January 2008 - 08:19 PM

Wa Alikum asallam warahmatu Allahi wabarakatu

Allah ta'ala knows that I wrote a sentence in my above post, but then deleted it because I thought it was un-necessary.

Basically, I wrote that I am NOT judging the sister AT ALL (because I know nothing about her and her history), rather I am talking about that outfit and about defending the sisters right to wear that type of outfit. I was clarifying that it isn't right to defend an outfit like that.

We should pray for her and ask Allah to make her come across the true knowledge and to send to her muslims who will advise her wisely.

Of course. And that has nothing to do with denouncing the act itself. It doesn't mean I am denouncing that sister in particular. Particularly that I know nothing about her.

waAllahu ta'ala A'lam

Mariam

#12 Guest_DJ_*

Guest_DJ_*
  • Guests

غير متواجدة

Posted 17 January 2008 - 08:34 PM

As Salaam Alaykum,

Oh dear, Sisters, I did not see the video.  I just read an article.  When I clicked on the site that I posted (which was a page of text before) I go to a video and yes I agree with the other  Sisters that it is inappropriate.

I just read an article saying it covered her except her face and hands, I never saw a picture or a video of it when I posted it.

Please forgive me, I was just annoyed at an official that was discriminating at a young Muslim woman for covering when most athletes run with hardly a stitch of clothing on.

The Sisters are correct that is unacceptable.

Amani

As Salaam Alaykum,

This is what I read from yahoo news and commented on this forum, there was no video:

Muslim athlete disqualified over uniform

Wed Jan 16, 5:04 PM ET

A high school track star has been disqualified from a meet because officials said the custom-made outfit she wears to conform to her Muslim faith violated competition rules.

Juashaunna Kelly, a senior at the District of Columbia's Theodore Roosevelt High School, has the fastest mile and 2-mile times of any girl runner in the city this winter. She was disqualified from Saturday's Montgomery Invitational indoor track and field meet.

Kelly was wearing the same uniform she has worn for three seasons while running for Theodore Roosevelt's cross-country and track teams. The custom-made, one-piece blue and orange unitard covers her head, arms, torso and legs. Over the unitard, she wears the same orange and blue T-shirt and shorts as her teammates.

The outfit allows her to compete while adhering to her Muslim faith, which forbids displaying any skin other than her face and hands.

"It's not special," Kelly said. "It doesn't make me perform better."

But meet director Tom Rogers said Kelly's uniform violated rules of the National Federation of State High School Associations, which sanctioned the event. Uniforms are required to be "a single-solid color and unadorned, except for a single school name or insignia no more than 2 1/4 inches," he said.

Rogers said that he knew Kelly was wearing the uniform for religious reasons and that he offered her several options to conform to the rules while still respecting her faith, including placing a plain T-shirt over her unitard and then wearing her team uniform over it.

Kelly's mother, Sarah, and Roosevelt Coach Tony Bowden disputed that account. They said officials made several demands of her daughter before Rogers made his decision.

"First, they said she had to take her hood off," Sarah Kelly said. "Then, they said she can't have anything with logos displayed. Then, they said she had to turn it inside out. When I told them that there weren't any logos on it, they said she had to put a plain white T-shirt on over it."

Juashaunna Kelly has worn the same uniform for three years without any problems, including at last year's Montgomery Invitational. Rogers said officials must have missed the uniform last year.

"It wasn't a problem last year, and it's a problem this year? Make me understand why," Bowden said.

Kelly, whose 1,600-meter time of 5 minutes 17.49 seconds and 3,200-meter time of 12:00.81 are the fastest of any D.C. girl, was hoping to run fast enough at the Montgomery Invitational to qualify for the New Balance Collegiate Invitational in New York on Feb. 8-9.

Bowden said the team has no other meets scheduled that would allow her to qualify for the event, which attracts dozens of college recruiters.

#13 Babydoll

Babydoll

Our Sister

• Members
  • 161 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 18 January 2008 - 02:46 AM

Assalaam alaikum,

I just read the article... Saw the video too. I guess we can say it is inapropriate. Perhaps, like Sister Barbara said she may not know any better...  I have a question:  Near where I live there is a local pool, many muslim girls wear a birquini (not sure if I have spelt it correctly) which covers the whole body except face, hands & feet. From the neck down to the knees is not tight, which means you can't see the shape of the body. On the arms & legs its not tight. Apparently we also have lifeguards here that wear this also.  I was just wandering would this be appropriate swimwear or not?

Edited by Babydoll, 18 January 2008 - 02:47 AM.

#14 BintCameron21

BintCameron21

Our Sister

• Members
  • 912 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 18 January 2008 - 04:25 AM

Asalamu Alaykum,

Why don't they just go to an all ladies swim?? All women, including the lifeguards. Don't most pools have that these days?

#15 sisterofdeen

sisterofdeen

Our Sister

• Members
  • 435 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 18 January 2008 - 04:36 AM

asalaam alikum,
i think it would be better for that woman to not  race.... that outfit is very strange... shes all covered but subhanallah her clothing is skin tight.... totally pointless

#16 Babydoll

Babydoll

Our Sister

• Members
  • 161 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 18 January 2008 - 09:10 AM

QUOTE(N.A. @ Jan 18 2008, 03:25 PM) View Post
Asalamu Alaykum,

Why don't they just go to an all ladies swim?? All women, including the lifeguards. Don't most pools have that these days?

Assalaam alaikum,

No, this is just a local pool actually, where many Muslim families go as well as non-Muslims.

Edited by Babydoll, 18 January 2008 - 09:12 AM.

#17 fkhans

fkhans

Active Sister

• Members
  • 5,831 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 18 January 2008 - 02:41 PM

Asalamualekum warahamatullahi wabarakatuhu

cant see the video too. unsure.gif

Allah hafiz
Faridunnisa

#18 americansis26

americansis26

Our Sister

• Banned
  • 2,822 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 18 January 2008 - 03:43 PM

Salams

Ok please do jump all over me for my reply to this issue but I HATE gender discrimination that comes along with things in life.

The girl wants to run track..................maybe this is her talent, maybe this is an outlet for her frustrations and maybe this is a passion she has. She has something that she is GOOD at and ENJOYS but is denied participation becuase of her uniform.

And to read posts that she should not be running, she cant do that becuase she is a muslim girl who needs to be locked up indoors and have the key thrown away.

Wht gets my goat is that boys are allowed to play sports- football, soccer, baseball, basketball ect. without the blink of an eye and everyone is encouraging of boys playing sports but not girls.

But whena muslim girl of any age wants to play a sport everyone gets the bloomers all bunched up!!! Why is that!!!!

If I were her parents I would fight the disqualification and fight for my daughter to have the opportunity to run just like everyone else. Why? Because this is what SHE enjoys. This is her talent and this is what makes HER happy!!!

ANd it just floors me to see such negative comments about a 17 year olf who has a love of running being put through the mud!!

Ok maybe I am a feminist............but a girl has just as much right to enjoy extra carricular activites as much as a boy. She was not wearing a tank top or hot pants, she was wearing a full body suite which covered her just fine.

Sis

#19 *mariam*

*mariam*

Active Sister

• Members
  • 3,601 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 18 January 2008 - 06:13 PM

Wa Alikum asallam warahmatu Allah

Wht gets my goat is that boys are allowed to play sports- football, soccer, baseball, basketball ect. without the blink of an eye and everyone is encouraging of boys playing sports but not girls

The issue isn't particularly playing sports. The issue is adhereing to Islamic principles. I know many Muslim girls who play sports (personally I also enjoy some sports as well). But they play in a female only environment, with modest clothes.

Same is for boys, if they play sports, then they also have to make sure they cover their 'awrah and adhere to other Islamic principles.

#20 americansis26

americansis26

Our Sister

• Banned
  • 2,822 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 18 January 2008 - 06:35 PM

QUOTE(*mariam* @ Jan 18 2008, 07:13 PM) View Post

Wa Alikum asallam warahmatu Allah
The issue isn't particularly playing sports. The issue is adhereing to Islamic principles. I know many Muslim girls who play sports (personally I also enjoy some sports as well). But they play in a female only environment, with modest clothes.

Same is for boys, if they play sports, then they also have to make sure they cover their 'awrah and adhere to other Islamic principles.

Salams

I understand that living anywhere in the ME or Asia you can have all womens areas for playing sports ect. But when you live in the US, Canada, UK or any non-muslim country you do not have the option.

But denoucing the girls choice to run track is just as bad opression.
Saying tht you are girl you cant do that, even though you are covered you are still running in front of ppl.  rolleyes.gif

Who cares. This is HER love in life for right now. Most track runners get into the "zone" when they run. The tune out and ignore EVERYTHING around them ( I know I did!). And when the race is finished they congradualte the others and get ready for their next race.

She should fight this decision and hopefully make the Nationals like she wanted too. For her this could be to open door to a scholarship for college........................
I could not see the video so i did not get to see her full out fit. But whatever the case is no one should look down their nose at this girl becuase she runs track. BIG DEAL.

My dd who turn 10 next month plays soccer in the spring and will start softball this summer too enjoys these things. I will never make her stop playing them. She is in Curling right now and has been for 4 years and LOVES it. She will be playing on a traveling team next year. My dh and I encourage her 10000%

She is also joining 4H next month too.
She has just as much right to play sports as her male counterparts. Regardless who is watching the game/meet/match

Sis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users