3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_ebelios_*

Guest_ebelios_*
  • Guests

غير متواجدة

نقاط الإعجاب: 0

Posted 25 September 2004 - 05:30 PM

Assalamu alaikum
I wanted to know if any of you knew the meanings of the names  Enayutalluh (? i think i spelled it wrong maybe)  and Hasnah
Thank you sisters

#2 sarah_anisah

sarah_anisah

Active Sister

• Members
  • 4,408 posts
  • Interests:Islam, my children

غير متواجدة

Posted 25 September 2004 - 08:47 PM

Assalamu Alaikum
I am not familiar with the first name you posted  :?  but the second one, I think means pretty... could be wrong though  laugh.gif

Sarah

#3 tathbeet

tathbeet

Our Sister

• Members
  • 61 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 26 September 2004 - 08:21 PM

Salaam alaikum,

I think the first one is from the word `inayah (`ain-noon-alif-ya-taa marboota), meaning help.

Enayatullah would thus mean "the help of Allah"?

I'm not a native Arabic speaker, so I don't have a sense for names in Arabic. Sometimes I suggest a name to my husband and he says, "Never!" Even my son's name, AbdurRahman, although it is one of the most beautiful names in creation, took a while to grow on me. At first it just seemed, well, long... However, (and this is just me), I feel most comfortable with names that I know:

1) make sense in Arabic,
2) are esthetically pleasing in Arabic, and
3) have historical precedence in Islamic culture.

Why be so limiting? Because so many Muslim, but non-native Arabic speakers come up with bizarre and sometimes inappropriate or even haram names for their children. Sometimes they just open the mushaf (copy of the Qur'an) and choose the first name their eye lands on. So, what if it landed on the word, Jehennam (Hell)? You can put any word in front of the Name of Allah to indicate possession, just like you can smack a taa marboota on the end of any name to try to make it feminine, but that doesn't necessarily make for a nice name.

Beware of name lists. Try to double, triple and quadruple-check anything that appeals to you. Naming in a language other than your own is not easy and a name carries great significance - a child generally has to live with his parents' choice forever.

Just a thought,
ummabdurRahman

P.S. Oh, and, uh, please somebody tell me if Enayatullah is actually a nice name...  :oops:   and if it is, forgive my hesitant ramblings...  smile.gif

#4 Guest_ebelios_*

Guest_ebelios_*
  • Guests

غير متواجدة

Posted 26 September 2004 - 09:32 PM

Assalamu alaikum
I had seen the name Enayatullah in a movie I was watching the other day called 'in this life'  i think that was the name of it.  and one of the boys had that name.  i like it thats why i want to know what it means
thank u sisters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users