rayofhope04

Active Sister

• Members
  • 7,428 posts

غير متواجدة

نقاط الإعجاب: 0

Posted 14 April 2006 - 05:11 AM

Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuh smile.gif

Jazaki Allahu khairan for your insight. Interesting wink.gif.

On a side note in the USA there is an Islamic channel recently developed called Bridges TV. I was looking more into it and found out that they show music in their show and the people in the show although muslim by name don't even cover properly at times (the women).

I think the main aim of Bridges tv and similar 'Islamic' family channels is to provide a place where Muslims living in the west will not feel isolated from the rest. and they want a channel which will 'bridge' completely Muslims with the western societies.

but in my opinion although these channels may have some good in them, i don't understand why many people do not start with the proper Islamic foundation at home and upringing their children. if parents taught their kids Islam, morals and values from Day 1 there wouldn't really be a need for "Islamic" shows where 'Muslims' sing... ohmy.gif All we would need then is some Adam's World and a cuppa chai and voila biggrin.gif hehe.

Well anyway I think I'm drifting from the whole TV topic a bit: I just wanted to say that true beneficial Islamic channels should supplement knowledge that one already has and always teach the pure Islamic knowledge, not just bring a place of comfort and tell already Muslims sitting on the fence that it's ok to do the haram things..make sense?

ok i'm getting sleepy now...better go.. biggrin.gif

take care,

Zahra

#22 mariemuad

mariemuad

Administrator

• Site Admin
  • 7,699 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 14 April 2006 - 07:59 AM

Assalamu alaikum,

QUOTE(lowri_mai @ Apr 13 2006, 09:59 PM) View Post

However the book 'Muslim minorities' with fatwahs from Shaykh Bin Baaz and Shaykh Ibn Al Uthaimeen amongst others; a book I have seen sold in many prominent salafi bookshops actually recommends that despite them being against TV in general they recommended the use of TV by Muslim communities in places such as Europe in fact they said it was essential; so I am a bit confused on this issue.

I can see two reasons why they recommend Muslims to have a TV are probably:

1. Access to Islamic knowledge. There are many Islamic programs on foreign TVs and it might be one of the few ways accessible to people to learn knowledge. It can also be interactive as you can ask questions. There is no doubt that many people came back to Islam and started practising after watching those shows.

2. Knowing what is happening in the Muslim World. You cannot know it properly unless you have TVs from those countries. News from the Muslim World is biaised, to say the least.

As for why some Shuyukh accept to go on not-so-good channels is again to try to guide people. If those people never go to the mosque, never go to lectures, do not buy books, ... how will they learn their deen? I am sure that most shuyukh have had letters from listeners thanking them and saying that they decided to come back to Islam because of their shows. Many people also learn their rights from such shows.

Personnally, I do not like the TV and I hardly watch it. But that doesn't mean that many sisters I know watch many beneficial halaqahs on TV and that is how they learn their deen.

Umm Hanifa

#23 Ola

Ola

Active Sister

• Members
  • 7,066 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 14 April 2006 - 03:59 PM

Assalmu alikum,

I think that most of these "Islamic" channels have made ppl more ignorant than they are. Yes, there are good programs, but I think they're very few. You hear the weirdest fatwas coming from TV and ppl follow them b/c they're already ignorant and can't differentiate the right from wrong.

A lot of these Islamic channels permit music, women with complete tabarrujj, intermixing in the show itself, making jokes about the deen, etc. It doesn't make sense to me for a man to be supposedly learning his Deen and watching a lady with loads of make-up on her face teaching him.

As for why some Shuyukh accept to go on not-so-good channels is again to try to guide people.

But, they should speak out agianst what's wrong on that channel. How can he till ppl not intermix, when he himslef could be sitting with a woman in the show. We don't do haram as an excuse to do dawah. I don't think that was the Prophet (salahu alyahe wa salam)'s methodology.

If those people never go to the mosque, never go to lectures, do not buy books, ... how will they learn their deen?

Well, if these ppl don't do all that, than they would probably be more focused on the soap operas than the Islamic channels. or will listen to those who go according to their desires.

I am not agianst Islamic channels unless they contradict the Quran and Sunnah. We're hear to please Allah and not the ppl.

Wa Allahu alim.

Edited by Ola E, 14 April 2006 - 04:08 PM.

#24 mariemuad

mariemuad

Administrator

• Site Admin
  • 7,699 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 14 April 2006 - 04:44 PM

Assalamu alaikum,

If those people never go to the mosque, never go to lectures, do not buy books, ... how will they learn their deen?

Well, if these ppl don't do all that, than they would probably be more focused on the soap operas than the Islamic channels. or will listen to those who go according to their desires.

Yes, they are probably more interested in soap operas. However, especially when you speak Arabic, it is enough that you hear 15 minutes for you to want to come back to the deen. I also know many women who cannot go to the mosque because the mosque is too far and their husbands do not take them. Or here, it is not easy anymore to find good halaqahs or good regular programs. For many women, unfortunately, going to the mosque or lectures is not an option.

There is good and bad on TV, good shuyukh and bad shuyukh, whether on TV or in mosques or at conferences.

In other countries, like Algeria for example, the places where you can learn the deen are very rare. Unfortunately. And the Internet is a luxury that only few can afford (and not even everywhere). Thus, some brothers and sisters learn their deen from the television. Yes, most people look at soap operas all day but, for those who want to learn their deen, the TV is nearly the only place they can do so.

BTW, I hate TV and I do not watch those TV shows either. Alhamdulillah, Allah has given me other ways to learn the religion and has blessed me especially the first 10 ten years I became muslim.

Umm Hanifa

#25 *mariam*

*mariam*

Active Sister

• Members
  • 3,601 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 14 April 2006 - 09:25 PM

Asalamu Alikum warahmatu Allahi wabarakatu

On a side note, I have to commend the people in Algeria. MashaAllah, on the Quran radio, they are such a great number of listeners; many many questions and comments come in from Algeria, subhanaAllah. And on the program were people request Islamic books and tapes, almost all the addresses are from Algeria, subhanAllah.

Even Shaikh Saleh Al-Hiaddaan noticed on the Fatawa program and gave them credit.

Mariam smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users