undecided

28 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_clausa_*

Guest_clausa_*
  • Guests

غير متواجدة

نقاط الإعجاب: 0

Posted 26 February 2004 - 01:22 AM

A couple of years ago I began to ask myself what I believe.  I have been torn between two world, two religons.  I am married to an islamic man, and I know he prays daily for conversion.  I was raised a Christian, but have bulit my own beliefs in study.  I feel the pull of the Islamic way and I believe in ONLY ONE God "Allah" I believe in the messanger,  I do not believe Jesus is God, but hold so tight to him being the son and dying for my sins, your sins the worlds sins.  This one believe holds me tight to Christianity.  I also feel the descion should not be based on my husbands wants but on Allah and my heart with him.  I struggle with the Hajib, not becasue I don want it but becasue I do, Christian or muslim I do. I struggle becasueI worry what people will say, and that they will think my husband made me.  I write often and ask myself "When will what Allah thinks take presidence over what people think"  I apologize for the spuratic writing, but I feel this is a place to lay my thoughts out as they come.  I stuggle with the fact that ALlah is the same today tomorrow and forever, yet Christianty is not and has so muched changed with the time.  It say more in the Bible that then Quaran about a woman needing to cover.....yet I know a preacher will never discuss this issue, for fear of losing his female congrgation.  When iam asked if iam muslim I respond by saying Iam both, yet I know this is not possible.  Faith is all I have...Faith that Allah will tell me what to believe.......                    

#2 khadi1

khadi1

Active Sister

• Members
  • 8,066 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 26 February 2004 - 02:39 AM

Alhan wa Salhan,

You are right, you cannot be both a Christian or a Muslim. It does not work this way. I think that you should take the courage to go to your local mosque  and ask to talk to someone in the Dawah field, or someone who looks after the newly converted, and you should explain all your fears and your confusions. That has worked for a lot of women who were like you, in the nether land, nor really a christian , not really a muslim. Only can make the decision to either change or stay like this and it is not easy....
May Allah guide you to the right Path . AMeen

p.s. You are not the only one in this situation. Please check the following site , it is all about answering questions for non muslims and you may find some answers, I sincerely hope.

http://63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=eng&ds=q...se&CR=418&dgn=4

Question #27107: She is married to a Muslim and hijab is putting her off Islam  

Question :

My husbad is Muslim and has talked frequently about me becoming Muslim myself. I just have one concern... the women being covered. Why do they need to cover themselves and only reveal what is odinarily revealed. I am American, we reveal almost the entire body here. I just want to get an understanding.

Answer :

Praise be to Allaah.  

There can be no doubt that Allaah only enjoins that in which there is wisdom, but in some cases the wisdom behind some rulings may be hidden from people, and in some cases it may be quite obvious – such as the prohibition on alcohol which clouds the mind and hinders people from the remembrance of Allaah and from prayer [cf. al-Maa'idah 5:91].

The wisdom behind the prescription of hijab is one of the most clear, because it is a covering for woman and guards their chastity, and it prevents the foolish from making approaches and harassing them. How often has a woman’s hijab prevented the devils among mankind from harrassing her? How often have unveiled women made a display of their beauty and charms, which has led to their being harrassed by the foolish? Concerning this, Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks (veils) all over their bodies (i.e. screen themselves completely except the eyes or one eye to see the way). That will be better, that they should be known (as free respectable women) so as not to be annoyed. And Allaah is Ever Oft‑Forgiving, Most Merciful”

[al-Ahzaab 33:59]

This verse gives the complete answer to your question, because Allaah mentions here the command to His Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) to tell his wives and daughters and the believing women to wear hijab, and it mentions the wisdom behind that, which is so that they may be protected and not exposed to annoyance.

When women go out showing most of their bodies – as the questioner mentions – this is one of the greatest causes of crime and corruption of men’s morals, and of the spread of immorality. It is also degrading for woman, as we see women becoming cheap products for business-owners and advertisers, who show woman half-naked and devoid of modesty in order to attract customers and market their products.

A woman’s body belongs to her and is not to be shared with people. When she gets married it belongs to her husband and she should not let anyone else have a share in it. What does a woman want when she shows her body and exposes her charms to onlookers? Does she just want them to look and stare, and what is the affect of that on rapists and the foolish? How are you going to stop them from getting what they want by attacking you and trying to rape you. Are you going to show some meat to the hungry and then try to stop them from eating it?

In a modern study it was shown that:

65% of female workers are exposed to sexual harassment in their place of work in some European countries.

18% of women in America have been raped or been subjected to attempted rape at some stage in their lives.

More than half of victims were under the age of 17.

Kitaab Ihsaa’aat, Diraasaat, Arqaam (p. 140).

Islamic sharee’ah brought that which is best for men and for women, and for the family and society. It does not impose restrictions on women as some enemies of Islam claim. Islam allows women to work, seek knowledge, engage in business, testify in court, uphold the ties of kinship, visit the sick, and so on, but it has set limits regarding her going out in order to protect her and to prevent the foolish from harassing her.

We say to the questioner:

Many western women, when they think about it and come to know the reality of Allaah’s laws concerning women, do not hesitate to declare their Islam and enter into the religion of the Prophets and the righteous.

In Islam, women are protected and looked after. That is not in return for her staying in the home only, rather that is because she plays a great role, which is taking care of her husband and raising and caring for children. This is an important role, because the soundness or corruption of society depends on the extent to which mothers are successful in their raising and teaching of their children.

One of the largest British insurance companies carried out a study on one million housewives, which produced amazing results. This study showed that the average full-time housewife spends 19 hours per day meeting the needs of her family, because she is the one who is raising the children, teaching them, looking after family members when they fall sick, and is responsible for the household budget.

In addition to that – looking at what the houswife’s value from a purely materialistic point of view, far removed from any emotional criteria – a woman who stays at home is the most valuable thing the family can have.

Op. cit., p. 118, 119

It has become clear to many wise women the serious danger posed by the false freedom that they are enjoying and they have finally realized where this path will lead them. It is stated in another study that:

80% of American women think that the freedom that women have gained in the last 30 years is the reason for the promiscuity and violence that are prevalent nowadays.  

75% feel worried about the loss of values and the disintegration of the family.

80% have great difficulty in combining their responsibilities at work with their responsibilities towards their husbands and children.

87% said that if the clock was turned back they would consider the demands for equality as a social conspiracy against the United States and they would resist those who raise the banner of equality.

op. cit., p. 147

All it needs is for you to think about the matter a little, and look at real life, and you will see that hijab spares women from evil, harm and crimes. Islam has closed the door to such evils with its laws, including the requirement for women past the age of puberty to wear hijab.

Finally we would like to congratulate you on the fact that Allaah has granted you a Muslim husband, so that you will be able to see Islam in practice from him and his Muslim relatives, which may encourage you to enter Islam and which may remove the barrier of fear about entering this great and purely monotheistic religion. Also note that entering this final religion, which Allaah wants for all people, is a great honour of which you may be deprived if you delay and death then overtakes you. So hasten to enter Islam, with submission to the will of Allaah, with eagerness and delighting in this blessing of Allaah.  

You should note that if you fall short in your observance of hijab because your human weakness or you feel embarrassed in front of your people, this is regarded as a sin. That should not prevent you from doing the great good deed which will lead you to Paradise and save you from Hell, namely embracing Islam. You should also note that the Shaytaan (Satan) is the enemy of all the sons of Adam, and he is the one who is stirring up these doubts in order to prevent you from entering this religion, so that he can increase the number of those who will follow him to Hell. So be strong and courageous in making the decision that will lead to eternal happiness, by Allaah’s leave. We ask Allaah to help you and to give you the will power to enter Islam as our sister in Islam, and to share this blessing. We thank you for your confidence in us.

And Allaah is the Guide to the Straight path.

Islam Q&A (www.islam-qa.com)

Question #43148: The Muslims’ beliefs concerning the Messiah ‘Eesa ibn Maryam  

Question :

What are the Muslims’ beliefs concerning the Messiah ‘Eesa ibn Maryam?.

Answer :

Praise be to Allaah.  

Our beliefs concerning the Messiah ‘Eesa ibn Maryam (Jesus the son of Mary – peace be upon him) are those indicated by the Book of Allaah and the Sunnah of our Messenger Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).

We believe that ‘Eesa (peace be upon him) was one of the slaves of Allaah, and one of His noble Messengers. Allaah sent him to the Children of Israel to call them to believe in Allaah alone and worship Him alone.

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And (remember) when ‘Eesa (Jesus), son of Maryam (Mary), said: ‘O Children of Israel! I am the Messenger of Allaah unto you, confirming the Tawraat [(Torah) which came] before me, and giving glad tidings of a Messenger to come after me, whose name shall be Ahmad.’ But when he (Ahmad, i.e. Muhammad) came to them with clear proofs, they said: ‘This is plain magic’”

[al-Saff 61:6]

“But the Messiah [‘Eesa (Jesus)] said: ‘O Children of Israel! Worship Allaah, my Lord and your Lord.’ Verily, whosoever sets up partners (in worship) with Allaah, then Allaah has forbidden Paradise to him, and the Fire will be his abode. And for the Zaalimoon (polytheists and wrongdoers) there are no helpers”

[al-Maa’idah 5:72]

‘Eesa was not a god or the son of God as the Christians claim.

“Surely, they have disbelieved who say: ‘Allaah is the Messiah [‘Eesa (Jesus)], son of Maryam (Mary).’”

[al-Maa’idah 5:72]

“And the Jews say: ‘Uzair (Ezra) is the son of Allaah, and the Christians say: Messiah is the son of Allaah. That is their saying with their mouths, resembling the saying of those who disbelieved aforetime. Allaah’s Curse be on them, how they are deluded away from the truth!”

[al-Tawbah 9:30]

The first words that ‘Eesa spoke when Allaah caused him to speak when he was in the cradle were (interpretation of the meaning):

“He [‘Eesa (Jesus)] said: ‘Verily, I am a slave of Allaah, He has given me the Scripture and made me a Prophet’”

[Maryam 19:30]

We believe that Allaah supported him with miracles that proved he was speaking the truth.

“(Remember) when Allaah will say (on the Day of Resurrection). ‘O ‘Eesa (Jesus), son of Maryam (Mary)! Remember My Favour to you and to your mother when I supported you with Rooh‑ul‑Qudus [Jibreel (Gabriel)] so that you spoke to the people in the cradle and in maturity; and when I taught you writing, Al‑Hikmah (the power of understanding), the Tawraat (Torah) and the Injeel (Gospel); and when you made out of the clay, a figure like that of a bird, by My Permission, and you breathed into it, and it became a bird by My Permission, and you healed those born blind, and the lepers by My Permission, and when you brought forth the dead by My Permission; and when I restrained the Children of Israel from you (when they resolved to kill you) as you came unto them with clear proofs, and the disbelievers among them said: This is nothing but evident magic’”

[al-Maa'idah 5:110]

We believe that ‘Eesa was born from the Virgin Maryam with no father, and that is not impossible for Allaah Who, when He wills a thing, says “Be!” and it is.

“Verily, the likeness of ‘Eesa (Jesus) before Allaah is the likeness of Adam. He created him from dust, then (He) said to him: ‘Be!’ — and he was”

[Aal ‘Imraan 3:59]

“(Remember) when the angels said: ‘O Maryam (Mary)! Verily, Allaah gives you the glad tidings of a Word [‘Be!’ — and he was! i.e. ‘Eesa (Jesus) the son of Maryam (Mary)] from Him, his name will be the Messiah ‘Eesa (Jesus), the son of Maryam (Mary), held in honour in this world and in the Hereafter, and will be one of those who are near to Allaah.”

He will speak to the people, in the cradle and in manhood, and he will be one of the righteous.’

She said: ‘O my Lord! How shall I have a son when no man has touched me.’ He said: ‘So (it will be) for Allaah creates what He wills. When He has decreed something, He says to it only: “Be!” and it is’”

[Aal ‘Imraan 3:45-47]

We believe that he permitted to the Jews some of the things that had been forbidden to them.  

Allaah tells us that ‘Eesa said to the Children of Israel (interpretation of the meaning):

“And I have come confirming that which was before me of the Tawraat (Torah), and to make lawful to you part of what was forbidden to you, and I have come to you with a proof from your Lord. So fear Allaah and obey me”

[Aal ‘Imraan 3:50]

We believe that he did not die and his enemies the Jews did not kill him, rather Allaah saved him from them and raised him up to heaven alive.

“And because of their (Jews) disbelief and uttering against Maryam (Mary) a grave false charge (that she has committed illegal sexual intercourse);

And because of their saying (in boast), ‘We killed Messiah ‘Eesa (Jesus), son of Maryam (Mary), the Messenger of Allaah,’ — but they killed him not, nor crucified him, but it appeared so to them the resemblance of ‘Eesa (Jesus) was put over another man (and they killed that man)], and those who differ therein are full of doubts. They have no (certain) knowledge, they follow nothing but conjecture. For surely; they killed him not [i.e. ‘Eesa (Jesus), son of Maryam (Mary)]:

But Allaah raised him [‘Eesa (Jesus)] up (with his body and soul) unto Himself (and he is in the heavens). And Allaah is Ever All‑Powerful, All‑Wise”
[al-Nisa’ 4:156-158]

We believe that he told his followers of the coming of our Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).

“And (remember) when ‘Eesa (Jesus), son of Maryam (Mary), said: ‘O Children of Israel! I am the Messenger of Allaah unto you, confirming the Tawraat [(Torah) which came] before me, and giving glad tidings of a Messenger to come after me, whose name shall be Ahmad.’ But when he (Ahmad, i.e. Muhammad) came to them with clear proofs, they said: ‘This is plain magic’”

[al-Saff 61:6]

We believe that he will come back down at the end of time, and will disprove the claim of his enemies the Jews that they killed him, and will disprove the claim of the Christians that he is God or the son of God, and he will not accept anything from them but Islam.

Al-Bukhaari (2222) and Muslim (155) narrated that Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “By the One in Whose hand is my soul, soon the son of Maryam will descend among you [according to another report: the Hour will not begin until the son of Maryam descends among you] as a just judge. He will break the cross, kill the pigs and abolish the jizyah, and money will become abundant until no one will accept it.”  

“Soon” means it will inevitably happen quickly.

“will descend among you” means among this ummah.

“A just judge” means that he will come down and rule according to this sharee’ah, and that this sharee’ah will remain and not be abrogated, rather ‘Eesa will be one of the rulers of this ummah.

“He will break the cross and kill the pigs” means he will declare as false the religion of the Christians by breaking the cross in a real sense and proving false the Christians’ claims and veneration of the cross.  

“and he will abolish the jizyah”:

al-Nawawi said:

The correct view concerning this is that he will not accept it, and he will not accept anything from the kaafirs but Islam. If any of them offer the jizyah that will not make him stop fighting them. Rather he will not accept anything but Islam or death. This is the view of Imam Abu Sulaymaan al-Khattaabi and other scholars (may Allaah have mercy on them).

End quote.

“Money will become abundant” – the reason for this abundance will be the descent of blessings and the spread of goodness because of justice and the absence of oppression or wrongdoing. At that time the earth will bring forth its treasures, and desire to keep money will decrease because they will know that that Hour is at hand.

Then he will die and the Muslims will offer the funeral prayer for him and bury him.

Ahmad (9349) narrated from Abu Hurayrah that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “I am the closest of people to ‘Eesa ibn Maryam because there was no Prophet between him and me…” Then he mentioned his descent at the end of time. Then he said: “And he will remain for as long as Allaah wills he should remain, then he will die and the Muslims will offer the funeral prayer for him and bury him.” Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in al-Silsilah al-Saheehah (2182).  

We believe that he will disavow himself on the Day of Resurrection of the claims that he was a god.

“And (remember) when Allaah will say (on the Day of Resurrection): 'O ‘Eesa (Jesus), son of Maryam (Mary)! Did you say unto men: Worship me and my mother as two gods besides Allaah?’  He will say: ‘Glory be to You! It was not for me to say what I had no right (to say). Had I said such a thing, You would surely have known it. You know what is in my inner‑self though I do not know what is in Yours; truly, You, only You, are the All‑Knower of all that is hidden (and unseen).

Never did I say to them aught except what You (Allaah) did command me to say: Worship Allaah, my Lord and your Lord. And I was a witness over them while I dwelt amongst them, but when You took me up, You were the Watcher over them; and You are a Witness to all things’”

[al-Maa'idah 5:116-117]

“ ‘Never did I say to them aught except what You (Allaah) did command me to say: Worship Allaah, my Lord and your Lord. And I was a witness over them while I dwelt amongst them, but when You took me up, You were the Watcher over them; and You are a Witness to all things’”

[al-Maa'idah 5:116-117]

This is what the Muslims believe about the Messiah ‘Eesa ibn Maryam (peace be upon him).

Al-Bukhaari (3435) and Muslim (28) narrated from ‘Ubaadah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever bears witness that there is no god but Allaah alone, with no partner or associate, and that Muhammad is His slave and Messenger, and that ‘Eesa is His slave and Messenger, a word which Allaah bestowed upon Maryam and a spirit created by Him, and that Paradise is real, and Hell is real, Allaah will admit him through whichever of the eight gates of Paradise he wishes.”

We ask Allaah to make us steadfast in faith and to cause us to die as believers.

May Allaah send blessings and peace upon our Prophet Muhammad.

Islam Q&A (www.islam-qa.com)

#3 khadi1

khadi1

Active Sister

• Members
  • 8,066 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 26 February 2004 - 02:52 AM

ahlan,

Question #5424: Her sister’s resistance towards Islam  

Question :

Al-HAmdu Lillah, Allah has guided me to Islam nine years ago. Now, my sister is also interested in Islam, but she also seems so resistent. She asks questions that are not relevant (like, she asked me why does the women inherit half of what the man does? I said because the man is
supposed to support her financially. She said what if she were the one who is working? I said in any circumstance it is the male who is supposed to support her, and when he inherits wealth, then he supports her even if she has an independent income.) she would also ask what happens to souls when you sleep? I said Allah takes them.{according to what I have read}, she said so sometimes we wake up during the night, doesn't this contradict? I said NO!, and I told her that I am not knowledgeable about those things, and that there are more important things to know, such as matters of Aqeedah, worship, fiqh and so on.
She said so how are you supposed to know that you are on the right path?
All these discussions make me feel she is drifting away from Islam. I try to give her books, but she does not read.
Yet she always wants me to tell her things. Also, my mother is trying to break up between us because she does not want me to talk to her about ISlam. Today she told me if I continue to talk to my sister about Islam,
she will cut all ties between us. My mother also insults ISlam and the Prophet (sallahu alayhe wa salam)infront of me and she is trying to make me remove my niqab. I don't know what to do? Now my mother is leaving the country and taking my sister with her.

Answer :

Praise be to Allaah.

You have to keep calling your sister to Islam, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Invite (mankind, O Muhammad) to the way of your Lord (i.e. Islam) with wisdom (i.e. with the Divine Revelation and the Qur’aan) and fair preaching” [al-Nahl 16:125].

You have to bear your mother’s insults with patience, as Allaah commanded His Prophet Muhammad  (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) to do, when He said (interpretation of the meaning):

“So bear patiently (O Muhammad) what they say, and glorify the praises of your Lord before the rising of the sun, and before its setting…” [Ta-Ha 20:130]

Do not feel sad because your sister has turned away, or regret the time you have spent in calling her to Islam if she does not respond. As Allaah said to His Prophet Muhammad  (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) (interpretation of the meaning):

“So destroy not yourself (O Muhammad) in sorrow for them)” [Fatir 35:8]

“Perhaps you would kill yourself (o Muhammad) in grief, over their footsteps (for their turning away from you), because they believe not in this narrated (the Qur’aan).” [al-Kahf 18:6].

As for your answers to her questions, they are correct. With regard to waking up at night, although Allaah takes people’s souls when they sleep, there is no contradiction between the two, for the One Who is able to take the soul is able to put it back. This is why it is mustahabb for the person who wakes up from sleep to say: “Al-hamdu Lillaah illadhi radda ‘alayya roohi wa ‘afaani fi jasadi wa adhina li bi dhikrihi (Praise be to Allaah Who has returned my soul to me, kept my body healthy, and given me permission to remember Him).” (Classed as Hasan by al-Albaani, Saheeh al-Jaami’, 1/329)

With regard to the inheritance of women – as you say, women are not responsible for spending on others; that is the duty of men, who have to pay the mahr and provide accommodation for their womenfolk, etc. Women wait for someone else to take the initiative, unlike men. So it is not fair for them to receive the same share in the case of inheritance. Allaah is the most just of those who are just and the most wise of those who pass judgement.

I ask Allaah to make you steadfast (in Islam) and to reward you for your da’wah. You have to be gentle with them and not do anything to provoke them. Do not insult their religion, for that could provoke them to insult the Prophet  (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). And Allaah is the source of strength.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid (www.islam-qa.com)

A very interesting read :

[b]Question #4991: She wants to become Muslim but she cannot accept some of the rulings such as hijaab and doing the prayers on time.  

Question :

I was born in a French catholic family. My parents are strong and sincere believers, and I respect that a lot.
Now I'm very interested in Islam, but there are a couple of reasons that "prevent" me from converting. For instance, as a woman, I cannot accept polygamy, the fact of stoning people who had an affair, of always depend on a "mahram"...
Furthermore, it's not "easy" to be and live as a Muslim in a western country : in my job, I wouldn't be able to wear a veil, not to shake men's hands anymore, pray 5 times a day... And my parents (especially my mother who is sick) would be very sad seeing me leaving Christianity.
So my question is to know how I can convert in such conditions. Is there a kind of "minimum" required ? I mean, considering that there are still things which I don't accept, wouldn't it be better for me to wait ?
Thanks for your help.

Answer :

Praise be to Allaah.

We put the following question to Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen:

A non-Muslim woman is saying, “I want to become Muslim but on the condition that I do not have to do the five prayers until the end of the day, because I cannot do them at work. And also I cannot accept the idea of polygamy.”

He answered as follows:

Praise be to Allaah. I think that she should adhere to the rulings of Islam if she wants to become Muslim and be saved from the Fire. But as for her choosing what she wants and saying I cannot accept the idea of polygamy – as if she is saying that she cannot accept it as a ruling from Allaah – or saying I cannot pray until I finish my work, this is not acceptable.

Question:

In the book “Muntaqa al-Akhbaar”, the author says, “Chapter on the soundness of a person’s Islam when he lays down invalid conditions”, and he mentions the hadeeth of Waheeb, who said:

“I asked Jaabir about the tribe of Thaqeef, when they gave their Bay’ah (oath of allegiance) to the Prophet  (peace and blessings of Allâh be upon him), with the condition that they would not have to pay Sadaqah (charity) or engage in Jihaad. After that he heard the Prophet  (peace and blessings of Allâh be upon him) say, ‘They will give sadaqah and they will engage in jihaad.’”

Can we understand from this that if a non-Muslim comes and says ‘I want to become Muslim on the condition that I can do all the prayers together at the end of the day’ this is OK, or is this an entirely different case?

Shaykh:

This is an entirely different case, because when that was said to the Messenger  (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), he said, “If they become Muslim, they will pray.” This has to do with matters of the Unseen, which we cannot know. (in other words, the Prophet  (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) accepted that from them because he knew, from what Allaah taught him of the Unseen, that these people would become good Muslims and would give charity and engage in jihaad, whereas we cannot know the Unseen and how this non-Muslim will be in the future). If we accepted the conditions laid down by the kuffaar, Islam would disintegrate. One may stipulate the condition that we let him engage in zinaa (unlawful sexual activity), another may demand that we let him drink wine, and so on and so forth…. The Messenger  (peace and blessings of Allâh be upon him) told ‘Ali, when he sent him to the people of Khaybar: “Tell them what their duties are towards Allaah in Islam.” The condition of Islam is that it must be accepted in totality, as it is. The Prophet  (peace and blessings of Allâh be upon him) told Mu’aadh, “Teach them that Allaah has enjoined five prayers upon them, and if they accept that, then tell them about Zakaah.” So the obligations of Islam have to be accepted.

Question:

Can we not say that this person’s entering Islam serves a great interest, and that their stipulating that they should be excused a few acts of worship is less harmful?

Shaykh: Not at all! Whose interests are being served here? The interests of the person himself? But this is damaging to Islam, because then lazy Muslims will say, “We will only pray when we have finished work, like this person does.” So the harm this would do to Islam is serious. If he really wants to save himself, let him accept Islam in totality. “And whomsoever Allaah leads astray, no-one can guide.”

So what we say to you is this: become Muslim and accept Islam in totality. Submit to Allaah in all that He has prescribed, and Allaah will help you and give you the strength to follow His laws, if you are sincere in your intention towards Him. Then if you are faced with something that you cannot do for a genuine reason, or are forced to do something, then if you are sincere, Allaah will not punish you for that. May Allaah help us and you to accept the truth and adhere to it. May Allaah bless our Prophet Muhammad.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid (www.islam-qa.com)

[b]www.islam-qa.com                    

#4 Guest_Amani S._*

Guest_Amani S._*
  • Guests

غير متواجدة

Posted 26 February 2004 - 04:13 AM

Assalamu alaikum...

First I would like to say welcome to the forum!

I would like to give some advice but I think what Sister Khadi posted covers most of it.  The posts are long but they are full of information.  

amani                    

#5 Mom Kelly's a Muslim

Mom Kelly's a Muslim

Our Sister

• Members
  • 103 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 26 February 2004 - 06:38 PM

This must eb a very hard time for you sister.

I found this web site recently and its amazing, i also mentioned it on another post.

http://www.jannah.org/sisters/

Go to it and on the bottom it will have headings, like women in islam or women in the Quran or Women and Hijab, if you click on any of the headlines you will get a whoal host of articles and testimonies fro m many different women.                    

#6 Sister Kamillah

Sister Kamillah

Active Sister

• Members
  • 5,633 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 27 February 2004 - 06:17 AM

Dear Friend,
I was brought up in a christian church and I understand your struggle with so many Questions at this time.  You will have to answer "Is Jesus really the son of God?" In order to move on to a final decision. Jesus in Islam is a Prophet, a man with flesh and blood. No difference than any of the other Prophets of God (Allah).  I want you to ponder, How could God have a son?  Why would God put himself in what he created?  Allah is above all of these things and does not need to send a son in order to forgive someone of there sins. It is so simple in Islam, We pray to Allah and ask him directly to forgive us for our sins. Once you answer this question you will be able to move on.
Have you sat down and read the bible? Most christians have never read the whole bible to see what is really in it..Please read Genesis tonight from the king James version. Read it very carefully, you will be surprized. Somewhere in Genesis it talks about the Sons of God....I cannot remember the exact verse...You must understand that the bible is no longer with us, it was not written in English or in Greek, for Jesus did not speak these languages...He could of spoke Armantic or Hebrew but not Greek...In this section there are so many post about christians having questions. go back through them and see what was said.
Kamillah                    

#7 Kasey

Kasey

Our Sister

• Members
  • 446 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 27 February 2004 - 03:21 PM

You know Clausa...I feel the same way.  I was just thinking of that the other day.  I am with a muslim man and we have a baby together he is being raised Muslim.  I am wanting to convert to Islam and I am reading Qur'an and other books and more and more wanting to convert but there is this thing in my heart you know.  I was raised a Roman Catholic but unpractising since 12!  But still this thing about Jesus and am I leaving this out and forgetting about what he did for us(dying for our sins) and was this really true and anyway I do know where you are coming from and it makes me feel sad and kind of like a traitor even though it is the same God.  The one thing that kind of makes me feel better is that he (Jesus) is in the Qur'aan as well.  It is confusing...

Kasey                    

#8 Ameeraana

Ameeraana

Our Sister

• Members
  • 1,447 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 28 February 2004 - 01:13 AM

as-salaam aleikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu,

I will give you a link of one woman who was a Christian that reverted to Islam.  I will let you know right now that it is a pretty long story as I have printed it before and it was 20 some odd pages.  But there is lots and lots of information in there about Chrisitanity and Islam.  Her story also has her searching for the truth about Jesus in it also and the proofs she found.  It is a very good read.  I emailed her once and told her I really learned from her story and she told me that she had written it for her father who could not accept her rejection of Christianity.  She is living in Oman now for over 10 years. Here it is:

http://members.tripod.com/oum_abdulaziz/Wh...yIEmbraced1.htm

I really cannot help you too much about Jesus from a Christian point of view as I was raised Buddhist!!!  I never really studied about Jesus too much until I was studying Islam.   I didn't even know that people believed Jesus is God which pretty much shocked me as I always thought he was a prophet!!!

Ameera                    

#9 searching

searching

Our Sister

• Members
  • 243 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 28 February 2004 - 02:23 AM

Hi

Welcome to the site first.  May God lead you.  

There are many reverts here....and each has her story.  

I am a recent revert myself...and struggled with many issues before.  The obstacles can be many...but they also can be figured out with time...within your heart.  If/When you revert...you do it because you feel you need to...that God leads you to do so.  We dont do it for our husbands....and we shouldn't prevent ourselves from reverting because of what "people" may think.  On Judgement Day we each will stand alone before God.  

Please allow us sisters to help you in any way...and please feel free to sort through things on the forum.  I am glad to help if i can at all.

Yours,
Penny                    

#10 blue_flower

blue_flower

Our Sister

• Members
  • 81 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 28 February 2004 - 12:53 PM

Hello everyone,
Dear Khadi1,

Just for you to know, I am the "author" of question #4991 on islam-qa.com, which you posted here. I'd sent this question quite a while ago (several years) and I have to say that I've been quite disappointed by the answer I got. I really had the impresion that this sheikh in Saudi did not make any effort to figure out how complicated it is to convert when you live as a woman is a western country, and when you have what can be called a western lifestyle.

A couple of years ago, I've been really close to convert. I finally never did because I realized that even there are many things I like and agree with in Islam (especially on the spiritual part), there are others that I disagree with or even am totally opposed to, particularly as a woman. I have what I would call important personal values, one of them being that all human beings are equal (NOT identical), no matter what their sex, race, age, wealth... is. I'm NOT saying that I'm right, rather this is something I believe really hard, and therefore I cannot accept to be treated differently because I'm a woman.

So I didn't make the "final step" to conversion, but I'm still Muslim friendly and interested in Islam. I have a lot of respect towards people who believe, and whose faith is sincere. At some point, I envy the people here who've found their way, they've been able to do something I haven't been able to do and even if nobody knows what future will be, I really doubt that I'll ever convert someday. Like we say in French "je suis assise entre deux chaises" ("I'm sitted between two chairs"), and I hardly can answer if someone asks me what my religion is. The only thing I can say is that I have a Catholic background.

I certainly don't have any advise to give to Clausa, or any other person thinking about converting to Islam, except that you need to read, search, get as much information as you can, and hopefully Truth will come out.

Regards,

Blue_flower                    

#11 Ameeraana

Ameeraana

Our Sister

• Members
  • 1,447 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 28 February 2004 - 02:09 PM

I am curious sis blue_flower about your disagreement with the different roles of women and men in Islam.   You say that you have a Catholic background. In your understanding of Catholocism do you believe that men and women are "equal"?

In Islam what are the negative things you see about the treatment of women?

Ameera                    

#12 Kasey

Kasey

Our Sister

• Members
  • 446 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 28 February 2004 - 04:48 PM

Catholics do not believe that Jesus is God just that he is the son of God whom Mary gave birth to...big difference although they pray to Jesus and God.  Well they call God our Father and Jesus our Lord but then again I was not raised a strict Catholic and I think it is also a spiritual attachment...I mean when I go into a church (which has been a loooong time) I still feel some sort of feeling and a feeling of attachment that makes me sad.  And then the other day I was talking about Islam and my sister said you should be ashamed of yourself for abandoning Jesus who died for you on the cross...and I felt awful but I still believe Islam is the true path although you can't help feelings from the past...I think it is normal...it's like a pining you know...

Kasey                    

#13 Ameeraana

Ameeraana

Our Sister

• Members
  • 1,447 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 28 February 2004 - 05:11 PM

as-salaam aleikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu,

ok.. so, Jesus died for everyones' sins...

I thought the Romans and the Jews grew afraid of the fact that so many people started to follow Jesus and so they killed him...  so,

did he die because of the sin of everyone giving him divinity and worshiping him instead of Allah (and those who did not like Jesus thought that Jesus called himself God) and so those that hated this man who was called God or Son of God was killed...

or

the crucifiction was actually ordered by God so that he may take away all sins???

I don't get it.....                    

#14 sarah_anisah

sarah_anisah

Active Sister

• Members
  • 4,408 posts
  • Interests:Islam, my children

غير متواجدة

Posted 28 February 2004 - 07:03 PM

Hello All
A good site for the Comparison of Jesus and his "role" in the Qu'ran is at www.beconvinced.com
http://www.beconvinced.com/RELIGIONINDEX.h...EW%20OF%20JESUS
Hopefully you will find the answers you are seeking there!

I have an excellent book which I would be prepared to get more copies of and send to any of you if you are seriously interested.

The book is The Prophet I'sa (Jesus)
Comparitive Analysis from an Islamic, Christian and Qadiani perspective.
By Sheik Rashid Ahmed ibn Ali Seth

This book helped me to gain a true and clear picture of the Prophet Ee'sa (Alaihi sallam) and disassociate him from the misconception taught in other faiths!

Allah Hafiz
Sarah                    

#15 Mom Kelly's a Muslim

Mom Kelly's a Muslim

Our Sister

• Members
  • 103 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 28 February 2004 - 07:48 PM

I've said this to everyone who tells me this, Jeus is a great prophet in islam a  messenger of God.

Allah swt is fair and Just and the idea that Allah swt would require the blood and pain of a man [i.e Jesus] so he can forgive humans is strage at best.

Jesus will return because with the race of God he was taken.....

Muslims should worship GOD, as a former christian we were taught more to worship Jesus rather then God.                    

#16 blue_flower

blue_flower

Our Sister

• Members
  • 81 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 01 March 2004 - 11:40 AM

Dear Ameera,

I really have no problem with telling what I disagree with in Islam, however I'm afraid that some people here might feel offended although this is certainly not what I'm looking for. As a woman, I (and this is for me only) cannot accept to depend on a man's decision (father, brother, or even son if I had one) to get married, to travel or simply go out... I cannot accept polygamy, nor that a man can divorce a woman with only 3 words, inheritage system, stoning in case of adultery (I'm totally against death penalty, and stoning is particularly cruel), I refuse that some jobs can be forbidden to me just because I'm a woman.

I'm a woman, no more but no less than a man, and I want to be treated the same way. I don't think I'm totally stupid or retarded, therefore I'm able to take personal decisions myself, especially when it comes to private life. Maybe it's because I've lived independently for too many years that I think like this, but I don't see why women should be treated differently just because they're women.

I'm not an expert in Catholicism, even if I've spent several years in a Catholic high school. I can't tell you that men and women are equal in Catholicism, and in fact one of the reasons why I've started to be interested in other religions was that I was disagreeing with several things I'd been taught. However, most of the points I listed above (polygamy, stoning... ) don't exist in Catholicism.

Once again, I don't want to offend anyone here, rather I wanted to reply to a question and give a personal point of view. I'm not saying that there's no justification for the things I dislike in Islam, however I know I can't accept them.

Regards,

Blue_flower                    

#17 muslimsister

muslimsister

Active Sister

• Members
  • 5,197 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 01 March 2004 - 06:00 PM

Hello Blue Flower,
It is strange that you say polygamy isn't allowed in Christianity, when in fact there is no rule limiting the number of wives a man may have in Christianity (outside a few references to deacons), and instead it is Islam that limits it to four. Maybe this link will give you some insight:
http://www.christianpolygamy.com/

Islam does not treat women as inferior to men, but each have different roles.  There are many rules in the Qur'an that gave women rights over 1400 years ago that were only given to women in the Western Christian cultures in the last hundred years, such as the right to inheritance.  

Every corperation has a leader, every country has a leader, and in the hosuehold God has appointed the husband as the leader, but this doesn't mean the woman has no rights, or is stupid.  There are many stories of how the Prophet Muhammed, peace be upon him, consulted his wives, and took their advice in matters.  If we were considered stupid, he would never have done this.  
The father has a way of looking at men that a girl does not.  He can see things the girl cannot, so his approval is needed for a marriage.  This does not mean he can force his daughter into a marriage that she does not want, nor does it mean that he can arbritrarily refuse every man that comes asking for his daughter.  The daughter can take action if this is the case, and go to the court.  Instead it is a matter of consultation and agreement between them.  There are many a man that are not suitable for many young women, and the fathers more experienced input is very necessary for a complete decision to be made.  
You said you authored #4991 of q@a, which object to the women covering their hair.  Do you know what the bible states about women covering their hair? Did you wonder why nuns cover their hair and body?
First Epistle to the Corinthians, chapter 11 verses 2-16.
2I praise you for remembering me in everything and for holding to the teachings, just as I passed them on to you.

3Now I want you to realize that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of every woman is man, and the head of Christ is God.

4Every man who prays or prophesies with his head covered dishonors his head.

5And every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head – it is just as though her head were shaved.

6If a woman does not cover her head, she should have her hair cut off; and if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut or shaved off, she should cover her head.

7A man ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God; but the woman is the glory of man.

8For man did not come from woman, but woman for man;

9neither was man created for woman, but woman for man.

10For this reason, and because of the angels, a woman ought to have a sign of authority on her head.

11In the Lord, however, woman is not independent of man, nor is man independent of woman.

12For as woman came from man, so also man is born of woman.  But everything comes from God.

13Judge for yourselves: Is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered?

14Does not the very nature of things teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him,

15but that if a woman has long hair, it is her glory?  For long hair is given to her as a covering.

16If anyone wants to be contentious about this, we have no other practice – nor do the churches of God.

These are a few things you should read up on.  Maybe they will help you understand.                    

#18 muslimsister

muslimsister

Active Sister

• Members
  • 5,197 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 01 March 2004 - 06:03 PM

Here is some information from the bible that contains orders for the wife to obey the husband:
Ephesians 5: Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ. Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord.  23 For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior.  24 Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.

Colossians 3: Wives, submit to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord. 19 Husbands, love your wives and do not be harsh with them. 20 Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the Lord. 21 Fathers, do not embitter your children, or they will become discouraged. 22 Slaves, obey your earthly masters in everything; and do it, not only when their eye is on you and to win their favor, but with sincerity of heart and reverence for the Lord.  23 Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men,  24 since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.  25 Anyone who does wrong will be repaid for his wrong, and there is no favoritism. (4.1)Masters, provide your slaves with what is right and fair, because you know that you also have a Master in heaven. [Col 3.18ff]

I Peter 3: Wives, in the same way be submissive to your husbands so that, if any of them do not believe the word, they may be won over without words by the behavior of their wives,  2 when they see the purity and reverence of your lives.  3 Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes.  4 Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.  5 For this is the way the holy women of the past who put their hope in God used to make themselves beautiful. They were submissive to their own husbands,  6 like Sarah, who obeyed Abraham and called him her master. You are her daughters if you do what is right and do not give way to fear.                    

#19 Naqa

Naqa

Our Sister

• Members
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:Reading

غير متواجدة

Posted 01 March 2004 - 06:08 PM

Blue Flower..maybe you would like to read the following article about the veil and covering the hair in Christianity:

The Veil in Christianity

Introduction

A common misconception is that Muslim women are the only ones who cover their hair. It may be true that Islam is the only religion in which most women follow its directives to cover the hair, but it is not the only religion to have such directives.

It is particularly interesting to look at the case of Christianity, since Christianity is the predominant religion in the West, and it is Westerners, including observant Christians, who are often the first to criticize Islam because of the hijab (modest dress, including headcovering).

Is Covering the Hair a Religious Commandment for Christian Women?

There can be only one answer to this: yes, it is! Simply open the Bible to the First Epistle to the Corinthians, chapter 11. Read verses 3-10.

But I would have you know that the head of every man is Christ and the head of the woman is the man, and the head of Christ is God. Every man praying or prophesying with his head covered, disgraces his head. But every woman praying or prophesying with her head uncovered disgraces her head, for it is the same as if she were shaven. For if a woman is not covered, let her be shaven. But if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut off or her head shaved, let her cover her head. A man indeed ought not to cover his head, because he is the image and glory of God. But woman is the glory of man. For man was not created for woman, but woman for man. This is why the woman ought to have a sign of authority over her head, because of the angels.

The meaning of this passage is plain enough. We can make the following syllogisms:

Syllogism 1

Praying with an uncovered head is a disgrace

Having a shaved head is the same as praying with an uncovered head

Therefore, having a shaved head is a disgrace

Syllogism 2

If it is a disgrace for a woman to have a shaved head, she should cover her head

It is a disgrace for a woman to have a shaved head - see syllogism 1

Therefore, a woman should cover her head

In other words, the passage means what it says. Have you ever wondered why Catholic nuns dress like they're wearing hijab (Muslim hijabi women, have you ever been mistaken for a nun? I have, more than once). Have you ever wondered why Mary the mother of Jesus (peace be upon them both) is always depicted in Christian art with her hair covered? Did you know that until the 1960s, it was obligatory for Catholic women to cover their heads in church (then they "modernized" the service)?

There are some interesting points that can be made about the Christian directive.

1) The explicit purpose of the Christian woman's headcovering, as stated by Paul, is that it is a sign of man's authority over woman. The explicit purpose of Islamic hijab is modesty. Strange how so many Westerners think that the purpose of hijab is a symbol of male authority. Maybe they know that that's what it is in their own religion (Christianity) so they assume that Islam must be the same...!

2) The Christian woman is to cover her head whenever she is praying, whether it be at the church service or just personal prayer at home. This may mean that if she is not praying at home, she is uncovered around male guests who are not related to her; or if she is praying at home, that she is covered around her own husband and family. If any more proof were needed than Paul's own words that the Christian headcovering is not about modesty, this must certainly be it!

This puts hijab in a whole new perspective, doesn't it! To my non-hijabi Muslim sister who feels that hijab is a sign of oppression for the Muslim female, please do read the above and then read the Quran. Believe me, if Allah SWT meant for hijab to be a sign of male authority, the Quran would be as unambiguous about it as Paul is in the Bible. Isn't this difference the kind of thing that attracted you to Islam in the first place?

Do Any Christian Women Today Cover Their Heads?

It is true that most Christian women do not, and many don't take other teachings of the Bible (against pre-marital sex, adultery, etc) literally either. However, there do seem to be a growing number of Christian women out there who are committed to following the Bible as it is written. Below are some webpages that I found that call for Christian women to cover their heads in accordance with the commandment of the Bible.                    

#20 Naqa

Naqa

Our Sister

• Members
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:Reading

غير متواجدة

Posted 01 March 2004 - 06:16 PM

Hello, Blue Flower..

Another interesting article :

The Biblical Headcovering: Scarf of Hidden Power  (55 pages; $4.00; #68)

A Biblical, historical and practical examination of a neglected aspect of Christian practice.  A personal account.  Written by a woman, for women, and reviewed by a half-dozen women.

Readers have described this as:

"...most interesting indeed.  And the style is gripping."
"The other night I prayed fervently about the headcovering and asked many questions.  The very next day God brought me to your article on the Web.  My questions were answered through your article.  This piece is very well-written and touches on all of my feelings, doubts and fears.  Thank you for sharing your testimony.  I pray others will find it helpful as I did." (Mrs. E. in Michigan)
"I liked the presentation coming from a personal experience..."
"I thought your ideas concise and convincing.  Your support of experiential truths with the Word substantiates the experiences.  I really liked the 'woman to woman' feel of the text.  So many books are written by men ... there is so much more through a woman's experience and her knowledge of her "fallen" state that comes through in the "light-hearted" kind of approach you took.  ...it is our testimony that allows us to "sharpen" each other.  Technical stuff is great, but personal touch brings teaching home to the heart."
"...very helpful, comprehensive and challenging.  Your personal story speaks so much accompanied by your keen observations and clear use of scripture."
"I did really enjoy reading your headcovering writings.  I have only recently (about 6 months) been covering and it was a source of great encouragement and really helped me face the "practical" issues and struggles I've gone through.  Enjoyed everything else as well!" (Michelle via email)
"Just wanted you to know how much we've enjoyed your article.  Even though I've been covering my head since last June, I was still happy to read such a well-expressed article on the matter.  It pretty much covered all the reasons why I chose to `get covered,' plus your method of wearing the scarf was easily adaptable to how I was doing it -- so that helped too."
"Your headcovering article is the absolute best I have ever read.  ... My walk with the Lord has definitely been enhanced with the practice of Christian headcovering.  Thank you for your testimony.  May God bless your ministry." (Mrs. C. in California)                    

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users