3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_musaafirah_*

Guest_musaafirah_*
  • Guests

غير متواجدة

نقاط الإعجاب: 0

Posted 09 June 2008 - 02:50 AM

Asalaamu Alaikum,

1) A man works for a pharmaceutical insurance company that deals with people who have medicaid (a state/government funded insurance company for people who don't otherwise have health insurance). Is this a halal source of income or should he leave his job feesabilillah? (Edited to add). His job involves approving and denying claims for people who, for example, want coverage for a brand name medicine that they can possibly take in generic form.

2) My brother-in-law gave my husband some pictures from Jordan that go on the wall. They are paintings of the souq and the have people on them but the people have no face and distinguishable features (the paint is swirled and you can just tell by the shape and the fact that they are wearing arabic clothes). We have not hung them as we were wondering as to their permissibility (I think they qualify the same as hanging pictures (ie haraam)?), are these the same as tasweer?

BarakAllahu Feeki sis Ola.

Edited by musaafirah, 09 June 2008 - 03:42 PM.

#2 Ola

Ola

Active Sister

• Members
  • 7,066 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 09 June 2008 - 02:52 PM

th_salamwabarakatuhu.gif

2) My brother-in-law gave my husband some pictures from Jordan that go on the wall. They are paintings of the souq and the have people on them but the people have no face and distinguishable features (the paint is swirled and you can just tell by the shape and the fact that they are wearing arabic clothes). We have not hung them as we were wondering as to their permissibility (I think they qualify the same as hanging pictures (ie haraam)?), are these the same as tasweer?

Hanging up images if they are small and indistinct and not clear at all

What is the correct opinion about pictures that we can sell in Mekka or Madina or anywhere with the mosqué of the prophet ( th_sallaallahu3aleehewasalam.gif ) or the ka'ba and we can see people around the mosque in soudjoud or walking but in small size. Can we put it on the wall or not ?

Praise be to Allaah.

We put this question to Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen, may Allaah preserve him, who answered as follows:

There is nothing wrong with it. And Allaah knows best.

Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih

#3 Ola

Ola

Active Sister

• Members
  • 7,066 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 09 June 2008 - 05:00 PM

Assalaamu alaikum,

Sister, I sent in your 1st question to Islamweb. The question no. is 2188659. InshaAllah we receive a response soon. smile.gif

#4 Ola

Ola

Active Sister

• Members
  • 7,066 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 15 June 2008 - 03:32 PM

th_salamwabarakatuhu.gif

Dear sister, they've linked me to two fatwas, see this page: http://www.islamweb.net/ver2/Fatwa/ShowFat...p;x=24&y=13

Here are the fatwas:

Fatwa No. :  83253
Fatwa Title : Working in insurance and pension planning
Fatwa Date : 20 Jumaadaa Al-Aakhirah 1422 / 09-09-2001

Question  

I am a Muslim computer engineer and mostly dealing with software and hardware for a few months I have been involved in a German insurance company. I am dealing with secondary pension planning which after 65 0r 60 years depending to men or women will provide you a pension yearly depending upon how much years before you started to save this money with them and also the quantity of money you save every year.
They also secure accidental death or even natural death to provide money to your wife or children also a small amount of money every day if you are sick and hospitalized to continue your family life with out financial problems. A few day ago I went to meet one of my friend who is a very good Muslim. She like this idea but she want some thing clear according to Shariah that this type of pension plan or insurance is allowed in Islam.
This makes me also suspect as I am representing this type of plan on
behalf of this company. If it is illegal in Islam I am also doing wrong or I chose a wrong way of earning money for me and my family. I will be really thankful to you, if you clearly tell me with consulting with group of persons of Shariah about this job and pension or insurance policy.

Fatwa

Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the World; and blessings and peace be upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon all his Family and Companions.

The contract mentioned in your question is not permissible. This contract is called compensation contract, which is known as life insurance. In such a contract the insuring company/party undertakes the responsibility of paying a certain amount agreed upon in advance, to the insured person or the one who is nominated by him, upon his death or when he reaches a certain age, etc. The insuring party is bound to pay the insured person against his monthly payments for a certain period.
This insurance is commercial, which is forbidden, in Islamic Shariah.

In fact, the basis of this contract is usury, gambling and also involves high risk. Such contracts are forbidden in Islamic Shariah. As long as this contract is forbidden working in such field is also forbidden since working there is a real cooperation in evil and transgression. Allah Says (interpretation of meaning): {….. but do not help one another in sin and transgression. ……}[5:2].

For more details, please refer to Fatwas:
81425, 81441 and 83084.
Allah knows best.

Fatwa answered by:  The Fatwa Center at Islamweb

Fatwa No. :  84884
Fatwa Title : Working in company dealing in Riba transactions and insurance
Fatwa Date : 11 Rajab 1423 / 18-09-2002

Question  

I'm currently working as a Programmer in a company in USA. The company provides a warehousing service 'record keeping' Where we keep records of different companies and process those record to generate reports and statements to the clients. There are more than one service in which the company function. The first service involves the calculation of interest gained by the employee through their stocks, bonds etc. My Job requires me calculating this interest and sending it to the trustee 'Bank' that will issue payments to the employee based on my calculations. Considering this might be included in the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) Hadith about the Riba dealers and people who help in the Riba process. I will be transferring to a different department, which deals with health plans such as dental insurance, medical insurance, and life insurance. I've been told that insurance is Haram so my question is:
My work for this company at this department that keeps and maintain the records of employee medical insurance is it Haram or not keep in mind that I will be processing transactions, Data Entry and reporting different plans. Also is working in this company in general knowing it deals with Riba considered to be helping in Haram?

Fatwa

Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the World; and may His blessings and peace be upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon all his Family and Companions.

It is completely Haram to help others in Riba transaction for Allah's Messenger (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) said: "Allah has cursed the one who consumes Riba, the one gives it to others, the one who writes down the transaction of Riba and the two people who witness it. He added (the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam)): all of them are equal in sin" [Reported by Imam Muslim ].

As for insurance, it is a form of gambling. Allah, The Exalted, prohibits gambling in the Qur'an and called it al-Maiser (i.e. gamble and the linguistic origin of the word al-Maiser indicates that which comes easily).

Allah Says (interpretation of meaning): {O you who believe! Intoxicants (all kinds of alcoholic drinks), gambling, AlAnsâb, and AlAzlâm (arrows for seeking luck or decision) are an abomination of Shaitân's (Satan) handiwork. So avoid (strictly all) that (abomination) in order that you may be successful.} [5: 90].

Scholars of Islam define insurance as follows: It is every contract that a person concludes as a winner or loser.

One exception of the above-stated concerning insurance is the co-operative insurance which is practised in some Muslims countries.

Thus, since insurance is a form of gambling that which Allah, The Exalted, has prohibited in the Qur'an and joined it with wine, it is Haram to help in the transactions of insurance due to being a form of co-operation in sin and aggression.
Allah Says (interpretation of meaning): {… Help you one another in AlBirr and AtTaqwa (virtue, righteousness and piety); but do not help one another in sin and transgression. …} [5: 2].

Then, it is Haram to remain in this company if its activities are restricted to Riba and Maiser and you have to look for another job.
Allah Says (interpretation of meaning): {… And whosoever fears Allâh and keeps his duty to Him, He will make a way for him to get out (from every difficulty). And He will provide him from (sources) he never could imagine. …} [65: 2-3].
But, if this company runs many activities, some of which are Haram and others are Halal; then you are allowed to run pure Halal activities only.
Allah knows best.

Fatwa answered by:  The Fatwa Center at Islamweb

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users