10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Umm An-Nu'man_*

Guest_Umm An-Nu'man_*
  • Guests

غير متواجدة

نقاط الإعجاب: 0

Posted 08 November 2007 - 10:07 PM

assalamu alaikum
okay now i would like to learn how to bake fresh bread...like the kind you buy in the supermarket. I tried and it came out........flat.....
I dont know how to use yeast...
any suggestions?

jazakuallahu khayr

Umm An-Nu'man

#2 umm j

umm j

Our Sister

• Members
  • 429 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 08 November 2007 - 11:01 PM

salams,

what type of yeast are you using? i use the sachet powder one's they work well.
But i have to be honest i have a bread maker, just put the ingredients in and it does all the work, so mine rises perfect- i put the flour, yeast, salt etc. over night and set the timer for morning so we all wake up to fresh bread and the smell fills the whole house, lovely.

well i am a cheat but it's good  laugh.gif

umm junaid

#3 ~MissKitty~

~MissKitty~

Our Sister

• Members
  • 2,965 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 09 November 2007 - 12:43 AM

Salam alaikum,

Your yeast might have been bad. It should be stored in the refridgerator, or freezer (that's where I keep mine, but I bought 1lb of it!) I have just started with bread baking, without the bread machine. So I don't really have any other tips for you. Maybe a good bread baking book would be useful for you. I would really like to get one. I also have a bread machine, but no matter what recipe I use, it ALWAYS tastes the same!! And I don't like the texture of it...maybe my machine isn't good? Half of the top of the loaf always is flat, and the other half is risen...

#4 Guest_Umm An-Nu'man_*

Guest_Umm An-Nu'man_*
  • Guests

غير متواجدة

Posted 09 November 2007 - 02:38 AM

waalaikum as salam
I used the sachets but the bread really was flat...I don't have a bread machine....I never seemed to want one...but the yeast thing is what I dont get...I stored it in the fridge and then I put it in a cup of warm water when i was ready to bake the bread. I don't know what its suppose to do when I put it in the cup (i.e. what its suppose to look like so i know that its ready) and so i just put it in the recipe but it didnt work. What's the yeast suppose to do in the water? How do I know when its ready?

Umm An-Nu'man

#5 ~MissKitty~

~MissKitty~

Our Sister

• Members
  • 2,965 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 09 November 2007 - 07:04 AM

Salam alaikum,

Was there any sugar in the water with the yeast? It needs sugar to activate it. I think it should froth, get a little foamy/bubblely..

#6 Ag11

Ag11

Active Sister

• Members
  • 4,059 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 09 November 2007 - 02:04 PM

salalm allaikum,
when i  used to see my grandmother bake breads (she did very often. was the bread queen)  cool.gif
i used to just see her pour the packet right in to the flour salt and whatever else dry ingredients she would use
then she would add the liquids.
then she used to let the dough rise twice.
first time after shes done kneeding it
second time after she formed the dough in to the desired shapes and quantity.
i remember her bread used to come out soft from the inside and nice and flaky crisp from the outside mashallah she was good. sad.gif

Edited by Ag11, 09 November 2007 - 02:05 PM.

#7 ~MissKitty~

~MissKitty~

Our Sister

• Members
  • 2,965 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 09 November 2007 - 05:36 PM

Salam alaikum,

Also, if the water is too hot or too cold the yeast imay not work properly.

when i used to see my grandmother bake breads (she did very often. was the bread queen) cool.gif
i used to just see her pour the packet right in to the flour salt and whatever else dry ingredients she would use
then she would add the liquids.

That's what I do too. But some recipes say to 'proof' the yeast first in the water and sugar....but with the instant or active dry yeasts, it's not needed to do that and it can be added to the dry ingredients.
I made a honey white wheat bread in the machine last night, it was the best bread I've made in the machine and it's been 3 1/2 years since I've been using it!

#8 Ag11

Ag11

Active Sister

• Members
  • 4,059 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 09 November 2007 - 05:52 PM

sallam allaikum,
mashallah it would be sinfull for me to have a bread machine...the effect will pack on my rear.

#9 americansis26

americansis26

Our Sister

• Banned
  • 2,822 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 09 November 2007 - 07:37 PM

Salams Sis

When you activate the yeast the water needs to be warm between 120-130 dgrees. It should sit in a warm part of the kitchen (by the stove is a good place). It will be ready after abt 5 minutes or so (sometimes longer) it will be all bubbly on top and smell well like yeast.

You need to add it to your flour, sugar and salt mixture in the bowl. Melt abt 2tbs of butter in about 1 1/2c of WARM water with abt 1/2 cup milk (all in the same pan) pour that into 3 cups of flour, 1 tbs sugar, 1/2 tbs salt then add the yeast.

Mix well, grease the bowl, put the doug back in. Cover and let it double in size abt 1 1/2 hrs -2 hrs. Take it out when raised, kneed it down, divide it into loaves, let rest for abt 15 minutes then bake.

HTH

Sis

#10 Guest_Umm An-Nu'man_*

Guest_Umm An-Nu'man_*
  • Guests

غير متواجدة

Posted 09 November 2007 - 10:10 PM

assalamu alaikum
ohhh! jazakumallahu khayr sisters! I did it wrong...there were no bubbles and I think I added sugar but not sure.

So I'll try again and I'll put it near the stove like americansis26 said insha'Allah. How do i know the temp of the water? Do I need to buy one of those baking thermometers?

I think I'll try both ways...the way Ag11's grandmother did it and the way americansis26 said to do it.

Btw...the honey bread made me hungry!...lol...that sounds sooo good masha'Allah.  

jazakumallahu khayr for your help...insha'Allah I'll let you know how it comes out.

Umm An-Nu'man

#11 ~MissKitty~

~MissKitty~

Our Sister

• Members
  • 2,965 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 09 November 2007 - 10:58 PM

Salam alaikum,

A baking thermometer would be helpful yes. I don't have one (but want one) because I can never remember to get one. But, I feel the temperature of the water, to where it's like a warm bath. That's also how my mom does it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users