6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_ammena_1981_*

Guest_ammena_1981_*
  • Guests

غير متواجدة

نقاط الإعجاب: 0

Posted 15 February 2004 - 08:51 PM

Assalamalikum sister,

I recently came across this translation of 2:238 in the Quran and wondered if you could explain

"Guard strictly [five obligatory] As-Salawat [the prayers] especially the middle salah [i.e. the best prayer: 'Asr]. And stand before Allah with obedience"

Why is Asr the 'best prayer'?

Jazakallah                    

#2 Paradise_lover

Paradise_lover

Our Sister

• Members
  • 2,057 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 20 February 2004 - 04:28 AM

Salam alikom

Question :

Is the last hour of ‘Asr on Friday the “hour of response”? Does the Muslim have to be in the mosque at this time, and do women have to be at home?

Answer :

Praise be to Allaah.  

There are two opinions concerning the hour of response on Friday which are likely to be correct:

The first is that it lasts from after ‘Asr until the sun sets, for those who sit and wait for Maghrib, whether that is in the mosque or at home, making du’aa’ to their Lord, whether they are men or women; whoever does that is more deserving of seeing a response to his or her du’aa’. But men should not pray Maghrib or any other prayer at home unless they have a legitimate shar’i excuse, as is well known from the evidence of sharee’ah.

The second is that it lasts from the time when the imaam sits on the minbar to deliver the khutbah on Friday until he finishes the prayer. Du’aa’ at either of these times is deserving of being answered.

These two times are more likely to be the times of response on Friday, because of the saheeh ahaadeeth which indicate that. The hour of response may also be sought at other times of the day. And the bounty of Allaah is great.

Among the moments when response may come to a du’aa’ in all prayers, obligatory and naafil alike, is the moment of sujood (prostration), because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The closest that a person may be to his Lord is when he is prostrating, so say a great deal of du’aa’ in sujood.” (Narrated by Muslim in his Saheeh from the hadeeth of Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him), in al-Salaah, 482). And Muslim (may Allaah have mercy on him) narrated in his Saheeh from Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with them both) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “As for rukoo’ (bowing), proclaim the greatness of your Lord in rukoo’ and strive in du’aa’, for you will be more deserving of being responded to.” (Muslim, al-Salaah, 479).

Shaykh Ibn Baaz, Majallat al-Buhooth, issue no. 34, p. 142 (www.islam-qa.com)                    

#3 Hessa

Hessa

Our Sister

• Members
  • 259 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 24 September 2004 - 07:13 PM

Assalaamu alaikum,

This has been bothering me for some time now.  En sha' Allah, you can find an answer for me.  I have been searching, but haven't found anything.  Why is Asr called the middle prayer when Fajr is technically the middle prayer?  The day technically (Islamically, based on the Lunar Calendar) starts at sunset, not 12:01 AM.  That means the prayer are: 1. Maghrib, 2. Isha, 3. FAJR, 4. Dhuhr, 5. Asr.  I am very confused about this issue.  Jazakallah.                    

#4 Hessa

Hessa

Our Sister

• Members
  • 259 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 26 September 2004 - 04:10 PM

Assalaamu alaikum,

I was thinking... Is it called the middle prayer based on our sleep cycle, because we sleep after Isha and wake up at Fajr?  I hope you can find an answer for me.  Thanks.                    

#5 Paradise_lover

Paradise_lover

Our Sister

• Members
  • 2,057 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 26 September 2004 - 05:08 PM

Salam alikom

I have been reading on this and I think I found the answer but give me one day to confirm in sha Allah.

Take care
Amira                    

#6 Paradise_lover

Paradise_lover

Our Sister

• Members
  • 2,057 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 30 September 2004 - 10:09 AM

Salam alikom

Question:

The new Islamic calender day starts at sunset then why is Asr the middle prayer and not fajr? Jazakom Allaho Khairan

Answer:

Al-Salâm `Alaykum wa Rahmah Allah wa Barakâtuh.

Allah says: “Guard strictly your prayers, especially the middle prayer, and stand for Allah in devotion.” [Sûrah al-Baqarah: 238]

From the context of the verse, we know that the middle prayer is definitely only one prayer out of the five. There are really only two possibilities. If we consider the Fajr prayer the first prayer of the day and the `Ishâ’ prayer the final prayer, then `Asr is obviously the middle prayer.

If we instead take the idea that the day begins at sunset and elaborate upon that, then the Maghrib prayer becomes the first prayer for the day and the `Asr prayer becomes the last. In this case, the Fajr prayer would be the middle prayer. There is no way for us to determine which of these two opinions is correct except by turning to the Sunnah of the Prophet (peace be upon him).

In his commentary on this verse, Ibn Kathîr presents the evidence for the fact that the middle prayer is the `Asr prayer. He writes:

Imam Ahmad reported that `Ali narrated that Allah's Messenger said during the battle of Al-Ahzab (the Confederates):

(They (the disbelievers) busied us from performing the Middle prayer, the `Ar prayer, may Allah fill their hearts and houses with fire.)

He performed the `Asr prayer between Maghrib and `Isha'. Muslim and An-Nasa'i recorded this Hadith. In addition, the Two Shaykhs, Abu Dawud, At-Tirmidhi An-Nasa'i and several other collectors of the Sunan recorded this Hadith using different chains of narrators to `Ali. The Hadith about the battle of Al-Ahzab, when the Mushriks prevented Allah's Messenger and his Companions from performing the `Asr prayer, has been narrated by several other Companions. We only mentioned the narrations that stated that the Middle prayer is the `Asr prayer. Furthermore, Muslim reported similar wordings for this Hadith from Ibn Mas`ud and Al-Bara' bin `Azib.

In addition, Imam Ahmad reported that Samurah bin Jundub said that Allah's Messenger said:

(The Middle prayer is the `Asr prayer.)

In another narration, Allah's Messenger mentioned:

(Guard strictly (five obligatory) As-Salawat (the prayers) especially the Middle Salah) and stated that it is the `Asr prayer. In another narration, Allah's Messenger said:

(It is the `Asr prayer.) and Ibn Ja`far mentioned that the Prophet was then being asked about the Middle prayer. At-Tirmidhi reported this Hadith and said, "Hasan, Sahih." In addition, Abu Hatim bin Hibban reported in his Sahih that `Abdullah said that Allah's Messenger said:

(The Middle prayer is the `Asr prayer.)

At-Tirmidhi reported that Ibn Mas`ud narrated that Allah's Messenger said:

(The `Asr prayer is the Middle prayer.)

At-Tirmidhi then stated that this Hadith is of a Hasan, Sahih type. Muslim reported the Hadith in his Sahih and his wordings are:

(They (disbelievers) busied us from performing the Middle prayer, the `Asr prayer.)

These texts emphasize the fact (that the `Asr prayer is the Middle prayer). What further proves this fact is that, in an authentic Hadith, Allah's Messenger emphasized the necessity of preserving the `Asr prayer, when he said, as Ibn `Umar narrated:

(Whoever misses the `Asr prayer will be like who has lost his family and money.)

It is reported in the Sahih that Buraydah bin Al-Husayb said that the Prophet said:

(On a cloudy day, perform the (`Asr) prayer early, for whoever misses the `Asr prayer, will have his (good) deeds annulled.)

[Taken from the online edition of Tafsîr Ibn Kathîr, www.tafsir.com]

Fatwâ Department Research Committee of IslamToday.net chaired by Sheikh `Abd al-Wahhâb al-Turayrî                    

#7 Hessa

Hessa

Our Sister

• Members
  • 259 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 30 September 2004 - 11:44 PM

Assalaamu alaikum,

Thank you for finding this for me.  May Allah bless you.  Ameen.                    

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users