9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_musaafirah_*

Guest_musaafirah_*
  • Guests

غير متواجدة

نقاط الإعجاب: 0

Posted 28 December 2008 - 03:12 AM

Asalaamu Alaykum,

I have heard this before but I have always misunderstood the fatwa, and now that I have read it english and in arabic I am confused. It seems to me, based on what I read, it is saying you should only remove it in the house of those close to you (mahrams and relatives) when there are no men around (of course) but you shouldn't remove it in other's people houses or for haflas or anything. So, I guess what I am trying to find out is whether this hadith refers to removing the clothes, the outergarments, or the hijab itself? Anyone have the sharh for this hadeeth?

خلع المرأة ثيابها في غير بيت زوجها
ثبت في الحديث النهي عن خلع المرأة ملابسها خارج بيت زوجها ، فما المقصود بذلك ، وهل يجوز أن تخلعها في بيت أهلها أو أقاربها ؟ .

الحمد لله

الحديث الذي رواه الإمام أحمد وابن ماجه والحاكم عن عائشة رضي الله عنها بلفظ : ( أيما امرأة وضعت ثيابها في غير بيت زوجها فقد هتكت ستر ما بينها وبين الله ) . ورواه أحمد والطبراني والحاكم والبيهقي عن أبي أمامة رضي الله عنه بلفظ : ( أيما امرأة نزعت ثيابها خرق الله عز وجل عنها ستره ) ومراده صلى الله عليه وسلم والله اعلم : منعها من التساهل في كشف ملابسها في غير بيت زوجها على وجه ترى فيه عورتها ، وتتهم فيه لقصد فعل الفاحشة ونحو ذلك ، أما خلع ثيابها في محل آمن ، كبيت أهلها ومحارمها لإبدالها بغيرها ، أو للتنفس ونحو ذلك من المقاصد المباحة البعيدة عن الفتنة – فلا حرج في ذلك .

وبالله التوفيق .

فتاوى اللجنة الدائمة للبحوث والإفتاء 17 / 224

Question:

It is proven in the hadeeth that a woman is forbidden to take off her clothes anywhere other than her husband's house. What is the purpose of that prohibition? Is she allowed to take off her clothes in the house of her own family or her relatives?.

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

The hadeeth which was narrated by Imam Ahmad, Ibn Maajah and al-Haakim from `Aa'ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) says: "Any woman who takes off her clothes anywhere but in her husband's house has torn the veil that was between her and Allaah (i.e., He will expose her)."

A version that was narrated by Ahmad, al-Tabaraani, al-Haakim and al-Bayhaqi from Abu Umaamah (may Allaah be pleased with him) says: "Any woman who takes off her clothes, Allaah will tear His cover away from her (i.e., expose her)."

What the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) meant was to stop women treating as insignificant the matter of removing their clothes anywhere but in their husband's houses in such a manner that their `awrah can be seen and that they may be accused of intending to commit immoral actions and the like. As for taking off their clothes in a safe place, such as in her family's house or her mahram's house, to change her clothes and the like, or to relax etc and for other permissible purposes that are far removed from fitnah, there is nothing wrong with that.

And Allaah is the Source of strength.

Al-Lajnah al-Daa'imah li'l-Buhooth al-`Ilmiyyah wa'l-Ifta', 17/224.

#2 muslimsister

muslimsister

Active Sister

• Members
  • 5,197 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 28 December 2008 - 04:59 AM

Assalaam alaikum,
  I always understood this hadeeh in light of clothes covering your body and not hijab.  The hadeeth and explanation of the sheikh never refer to the head covering.  

There was a long discussion on this board before about this hadeeth and using changing rooms in stores, etc., before.  Maybe you can find it using the search engine.

#3 Ola

Ola

Active Sister

• Members
  • 7,066 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 28 December 2008 - 03:15 PM

Assalaamu alaikum,

I've also understood it as the clothing and not hijaab. If you notice in both hadeeths it says ثيابها and not hijab. Not removing the hijab at all in front of other women sounds a bit too extreme. Doesn't the ayah in Surat An-Noor say we can remove our hijaab in front of our mahaarim and other women?

But, I am no scholar, I may be wrong and Allah knows best.

#4 Guest_musaafirah_*

Guest_musaafirah_*
  • Guests

غير متواجدة

Posted 28 December 2008 - 04:09 PM

Asalaamu Alaykum,

That is how I understood it as well but I have also seen a lot of knowledgeable women who keep their hijab on at other people's houses because of this reason (they take it off at their own house of course, as well as their close relatives, and their in-law's houses) as well as a lot of knowledgeable women who remove their hijab at other people's houses; so I am unsure. And I don't really have any proof one way or the other? I guess I would need to get the sharh of the hadith or something; maybe I will send it in for a fatwa about whether it regards hijab or the outergarment or the clothes inshaAllah.

#5 Umm Muslim

Umm Muslim

Our Sister

• Members
  • 2,067 posts
  • Interests:knowledge, baking, reading, studying :)

غير متواجدة

Posted 29 December 2008 - 09:50 PM

asalamu alaykum,
i read this hadeeth in the book "al kabair(major sins)" by adh dhahabi. I am confused , is this hadeeth even saheeh because they didnt mention its authenticity? and I always understood "thiyabaha"it as outer garments as well as hijab.

#6 Guest_musaafirah_*

Guest_musaafirah_*
  • Guests

غير متواجدة

Posted 30 December 2008 - 05:46 AM

Asalaamu Alaykum,

It is saheeh; narrated by Imam Ahmad, Ibn Maajah and al-Haakim from A'ishah ra and also by Ahmad, al-Tabaraani, al-Haakim and al-Bayhaqi from Abu Umaamah. And the Lajnah Daa'imah issued a fatwa regarding this hadeeth so that in itself, is a proof it is saheeh. I also thought thiyabaha referred to hijab but I am not 100 percent.

#7 muslimsister

muslimsister

Active Sister

• Members
  • 5,197 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 30 December 2008 - 01:47 PM

Assalaam alaikum,
In surah An-Noor aayah 58, thiyaabakum is definitely talking about clothes and not hijaab because the aayah refers to who have not reached puberty and the slaves needing to ask permission to enter the room at three times, one of them being the noon time {rest period}  حين تضعون ثيابكم "when you put aside your clothing" .  Again, I am not a scholar to comment on the hadeeth, but I am just pointing out the removing thiyaabakum doesn't necessarily mean hijab, but certainly means clothes as we do not have to wear hijaab in front of young children and slaves.  Also the aayah is referring to both men and women removing their [your] clothes (thiyaabakum).

#8 Umm Muslim

Umm Muslim

Our Sister

• Members
  • 2,067 posts
  • Interests:knowledge, baking, reading, studying :)

غير متواجدة

Posted 30 December 2008 - 08:48 PM

allahu a'allam

#9 MissPink

MissPink

Active Sister

• Members
  • 6,057 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 01 March 2009 - 01:33 AM

Assalamu alaikom

I found this in a previous post:

The Hijaab is a Shield
The prophet sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam said: "Allah, Most High, is Heaven, is Ha'yeii (Bashful), Sit'teer (Shielder). He loves Haya' (Bashfulness) and Sitr (Shielding; Covering)." The Prophet sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam also said: "Any woman who takes off her clothes in other than her husband's house (to show off for unlawful purposes), has broken Allah's shield upon her."  

from here: http://sisters.islamway.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=41262

#10 Guest_musaafirah_*

Guest_musaafirah_*
  • Guests

غير متواجدة

Posted 01 March 2009 - 04:49 PM

Asalaamu Alaykum,

Subhanaallah, I totally forgot about this post. I actually received an answer from a qualified person which really cleared things up for me, however, since it is not available online or from a fatwa website (I asked via telephone), I didn't post it here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users