In need of help....

10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Erykka_*

Guest_Erykka_*
  • Guests

غير متواجدة

نقاط الإعجاب: 0

Posted 06 July 2004 - 11:05 PM

Hello everyone. I have been studying the islamic religion in hopes that I will someday convert to it. I recently told my mother about my decision. She went online to and pulled up this website http://www.flex.com/~jai/satyamevajayate/playboy.html. And kept quoting "Among his many other wives Mohammed also married a 6 year old baby, Ayesha. She was his favourite wife."

She told me that I am following a religion of a sick pedophilic man. Our relationship after that became very distant. I am always kind to her mean words and never answer her back but inside it hurts to see that she does not want anything to do with me based on my prefered religion. I try to tell her the website is probably anti-Islamic anyway. I don't know what to say to her anymore or what to do.

Do anyone have any proof that this is wrong that I can present to my mother in hopes that maybe she understand?

(Please let me know if I should remove the website from my message if it offends the other members to this site).                    

#2 Asmaa_al-Kanadiyah

Asmaa_al-Kanadiyah

Our Sister

• Members
  • 1,715 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 06 July 2004 - 11:39 PM

Assalamou alaykum

The web site you talked about had nothing Islam and you wont learn anything about the religion there. Its a web site created by hindus, and they blame Islam and muslims for the 1971 paki-india war.

Question #2202: The Prophet’s dream about marrying ‘Aa’ishah  

Question :

In reply to a question regarding marriage of prophet Mohammad ( ), I was given to understand that prophet Mohammad had a dream in which he saw that he got married with hazrat Aisah who was only 6-7 year old at that time. Consequently, he discussed this with hazrat Aisha. In other word this marriage was arranged by Allah himself. If so, we have a logical answer to satisfy critics that it was ordered by Allah. However, in support of that there must be an athentic hadith or a verse in the Qur'an.
I will appreciate if you can provide me info regarding this issue.

Answer :

Praise be to Allaah.

The hadeeth to which you refer was reported by Imaam al-Bukhaari (may Allaah have mercy on him) in his Saheeh from ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her), who said that the Prophet  (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said to her: “You were shown to me twice in a dream. I saw you in a piece of silk (i.e., he saw her image on a piece of silk, or he saw her wearing a silken garment). I was told, ‘This is your wife, so unveil her,’ and it was you. I said: if this dream is from Allaah then it will come to pass.’” (Saheeh al-Bukhaari, 3606).

In his commentary on this hadeeth, Ibn Hajar (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “This dream came after his mission had started, and it was a wahy (revelation) that had implications in real life. (Its implication was that he did indeed marry her later on). His words ‘and it was you’ indicate that he had seen her before and knew what she looked like.” (See Fath al-Baari)

There is nothing in the hadeeth to indicate that his marriage to ‘Aa’ishah was as a result of that dream. The Prophet  (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) asked her father for her hand in marriage, and her father Abu Bakr gave her in marriage, in the usual fashion, as is indicated in the following hadeeth:

“ ‘Urwah reported that the Prophet  (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) asked Abu Bakr for ‘Aa’ishah’s hand in marriage, and Abu Bakr said to him: ‘But I am your brother.’ He said: ‘You are my brother according to the religion and Book of Allaah (i.e., my brother in Islam), and she is permissible for me (to marry).” (Bukhaari, 4691).

In his commentary Ibn Hajar (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “Ibn Abi ‘Aasim reported via Yahyaa ibn ‘Abd al-Rahmaan ibn Haatib from ‘Aa’ishah that the Prophet  (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) sent Khawlah bint Hakeem to Abu Bakr to ask for ‘Aa’ishah’s hand in marriage. Abu Bakr asked her, ‘Is she right for him? Because she is the daughter of my brother.’ Khawlah went back and mentioned this to the Prophet  (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). He told her: ‘Go back and tell him: “You are my brother in Islam, and your daughter is right for me.”’ She went back to Abu Bakr and told him, and he said: ‘Call the Messenger of Allaah  (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).’ So he came and the marriage was performed.”

The phrase “You are my brother according to the religion and Book of Allaah (i.e., my brother in Islam)” was referring to the aayah (interpretation of the meaning): “The believers are nothing else than brothers (in Islamic religion)…” [al-Hujuraat 49:10] and other similar aayaat. The phrase “she is permissible for me (to marry)” means it is permissible to marry her even though she is the brother’s daughter, because the kind of brotherhood that would prevent such a marriage is the brotherhood of descent (same parent) or of radaa’ah (by being breastfed in infancy by the same woman), not the brotherhood of faith.

As regards the woman to whom the Prophet’s marriage was arranged in heaven, as it were, by Allaah, and not in the customary fashion, this was Zaynab bint Jahsh (may Allaah be pleased with her), as is indicated by the hadeeth of Anas (may Allaah be pleased with him), who said: “Zaynab used to boast (to her co-wives) about how she had got married to the Prophet  (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), saying: ‘Your families arranged your marriages but Allaah arranged my marriage from above the seven heavens.’” (al-Bukhaari, 6870). No other wife except Zaynab was married to the Prophet  (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) in such a unique fashion; ‘Aa’ishah’s marriage was arranged as described in the reports quoted above. May Allaah reward you with good for your question. And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid (www.islam-qa.com)                    

#3 sarah_anisah

sarah_anisah

Active Sister

• Members
  • 4,408 posts
  • Interests:Islam, my children

غير متواجدة

Posted 06 July 2004 - 11:45 PM

Hello Erykka
Firstly WELCOME to the site.

Sadly your mother found one of the many anti Islamic websites on the net  :roll: , likewise there are many anti Jewish, christian etc...

That particular website, I have read similar before, it is distorted, disgusting and disrespectful to the faith of Islam and those ghastly words against Our beloved Prophet (Sallahu Alaihi wasallam).

Could I please ask you to remove the link?

I hope you can pass on to your mother AUTHENTIC WEBSITES for her to learn about the religion you are studying. This is a nice one for non muslims to learn from: www.beconvinced.com

I hope to read more from you soon.

Sarah                    

#4 Sister Kamillah

Sister Kamillah

Active Sister

• Members
  • 5,633 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 07 July 2004 - 12:04 AM

Asalamu Alaikum,
You must understand that the nikkah was done when  Aishah(R.A.) was six meaning that she was married and no one else could ask for her hand in marriage. Keeping her safe for what Allah (God) had planned for Aishah (R.A)life to be, A Mother of the Believers, and the Most learned Women(teacher) on the topic of fiqh and narrator of Many of the Ahadeeth.. But the Prophet Muhhammad(peace and blessing be upon him) did not consummate the marriage until Aishah(R.A) became a women. In islam a girl becomes a Women when she has menstruation and this is when she has to start wearing the Hijab and understand her role as a muslim women. Many girls start menstruation at different times and thus becoming a women at a different times. Not all girls start menstruation at the same time((my  oldest daughter started her menstruation at eight and my youngerest daughter was nine, thus no longer little girls but considered women rsponsible for so many things). Most of the evidence points that she was nine or ten when the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) consummated the marriage with Aishah(R.A) and other reports give a much, much later age. At this time people married at a much early age usually before teenage years or just after, because people died much earlier at this time and to marry young was Not Uncommon. The relationship between the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessing be upon him) and Aishah (R.A) can be read about in the Ahadeeth and you will see for yourself through reading about their lives that it was one filled with Respect, Love, and Friendship.  Aishah was took care of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him ) during his last few days on this earth and  held the Prophet as he was dieing.

The non-Muslims have such twisted minds that the come up with such terrible things, I would just tell your mother to read all the histories of the past and see if this was not common that people married so young.

I did not look at the websight in which you gave because these peoples heart are close to what the truth is. And they are the Enemies to Islam, May Allah Curse them All.

May Allah Keep you strong in your Deen, May Allah protect you from the Whispers of people, May Allah keep you on the Straight path and one day Insha-Allah give you Al Jannah. Ameen
Kamillah                    

#5 justlistening

justlistening

Our Sister

• Banned
  • 357 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 07 July 2004 - 01:13 AM

Welcome and may you find all your answers here!

I just want to add one more thing.  The arabs of that time were oral cultures.  You can ask any sociologist or linguist about oral cultures.  They mature faster.  Even now in African tribal regions, girls get married very young.  In other cultures a girl of 5 years old can be responsible for food and taking care of young ones and the home while the mother and father might be busy working or going to town.
If you read about European history or Chinese history, you will see that kings and queens and princes and princesses of the past were married as young as age 4 or 5 years old!  They had prearranged marriages (at least in Islam the marriage is by choice).
And if you look at the girls today....I work in a hospital.  It does not make us flinch when a girl as young as 10 or 11 come in pregnant.  It's so common these days.  
There was a book written, I can't remember the name, if I remember, I will post it.  It's written by a non-muslim.  The book is about the "teenage phenomenon."  The author basically explains how we as a civilization have gone backwards in maturity.  He explains that "teenage" and adolesence years were created by society.  He explains how only a couple hundred years ago a boy at the age of 13 was considered a full grown man.
Anyway, don't let anyone's comments (especially false ones) divert you from following what you know to be the truth.  And if you have any questions please email me at a7lanar@hotmail.com

May God guide you to what is right.                    

#6 blue_flower

blue_flower

Our Sister

• Members
  • 81 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 07 July 2004 - 11:18 AM

Hi everyone,

As a non-Muslim (but Muslim friendly and very respectful of other people's faith), I'm glad that someone asked about Aisha because it's a subject I've always felt embarrassed about. I've never dared to say anything about her and Prophet Muhammad, because I didn't want people to think I was trying to "attack" Islam.

I know that some girls have menstruation quite young, as well as I know that some get pregnant very early, even here in the West where we (supposedly) have birth control. However, even if a 8 or 9-year-old girl has her periods, does it automatically mean that she's 100% a woman, and can take the same decisions have the same responsibilities a 20 or 30-year-old woman does? I don't pretend I know the answer for everything, but I have the feeling that when you're 8 or 9, you're not an adult and you're not able to manage your life fully by yourself. As well, I know that in come countries, girls get married very yound and that a very young girl can be responsible for getting water, taking care of the house, cooking... But is it really a good thing? For me a young girl should live as a child, not as an adult, and I really feel bad when I see 4-year-old kids who can't go to school and have to work to help their parents.

PLEASE DO NOT THINK THAT I'M WILLING TO SAY BAD THINGS ABOUT ISLAM OR PROPHET MUHAMMAD! If most of the Muslim women on this forum are converts, maybe you can understand that some points in Islam are difficult to admit or understand for a non-Muslim person, and I'd deeply appreciate any explanation.

Thanks and regards,

Blue_flower                    

#7 --Yasmin--

--Yasmin--

Our Sister

• Members
  • 562 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 07 July 2004 - 01:24 PM

Asalaamualaikum

I think for topics such as these we have to remember that times back in the days of the Prophet SallAllahu alayhi wasallam were very diferent to what they are now, so what might not be acceptable now may have been practiced widely then.

Anyway about this topic I found the following link helped me understand it alot better http://www.answering-christianity.com/aisha.htm (mods feel free to delete it if you dont feel its ok to post up)

I hope it helps

Asalaamualaikum                    

#8 muslimsister

muslimsister

Active Sister

• Members
  • 5,197 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 07 July 2004 - 01:33 PM

This subject has come up many times before, and is one that Muslim bashers like to use.  They always seem to forget that it was quite common 1400 years ago for girls to marry young.  One article I read which was quite good mentioned that none of the Quraysh objected or voiced surprise at the age of Aisha when she married.  This shows it was commom practice.  We cannot take present scales and weigh them for those times, and sister justlistening did a good job of explaining.                    

#9 muslimsister

muslimsister

Active Sister

• Members
  • 5,197 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 07 July 2004 - 01:38 PM

Assalaam,
This article may help all understand that it wasn't just Muslims who married their daughters at a young age at that time.
http://www.yesnet.yk.ca/schools/projects/m...mouspeople.html

A quote from the article:
Medieval women were very limited in how they could live their lives. From the day they were born, they had men who told them what they could and could not do. Marriages were usually for convenience, to gain land or property. Henry VII, the king of England, searched for a suitable wife after his first wife died. He learned the widow of the King of Naples was available and sent out three agents to determine if she was healthy, attractive and had money. The widow passed the first two qualifications but failed the third, Henry remained a widower.
Some children were as young as 4 or 5 years old when they were married. Prearranged marriages of children were so common that the church said children in the cradle could not be married. If a woman went through childhood without becoming married, her choices were then to marry or attend a convent.

#10 swsis570

swsis570

Our Sister

• Members
  • 331 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 07 July 2004 - 05:51 PM

To Blue Flower:  I understand what you are saying.  As a new Muslim I felt the same way.  But I think that you must understand that as an American (I assume you are a Westerner?) we are judging Islam by our own culture.  I think this is called ethnocentrism.
We are measuring Islamic society by American rules as if the American way is superior instead of vice versa.

My second and most important point is, if you read the Holy Quran you will see numerous incidents  where Allah(swt) is admonishing the prophet for different things.  The Prophet was the most kind person and if he would have done anything to hurt anyone Allah would have admonished him.  There is no way in the world that if the marriage to Aishah was wrong that Allah (swt) would have allowed it.

I would also like to repeat what other sisters said about that being the common practise at the time, maybe you can point that out to your mom.

The thing about them not being ready, well in this society if a girl gets her period at 9 then physically, yes she is a woman.  But mentally and socially she is not because in this society we don't prepare our girls to be women.  I do agree that adolesance was created by the modern era.
These days you can remain a little girl UNTIL you are 20 or 30.
We prepare our girls for careers not being a wife or mother.

Also it always amazes me that some moms in these modern times will say to the girls be safe!  Use protection, birth control, and condoms.  
They don't tell them to abstain from sex until marriage because they say we can't watch them every second, we have to trust them and give them their freedom etc, etc.  They are gonna do it anyway so we might as well tell them about protecting themselves from pregnancy and disease.

So is it okay for that  girl to have sex outside of marriage because she refuses to wait until marriage or should she be protected in a marriage?

Also maybe as soon as a girl gets her period she is not 100% ready to become pregnant, it would be up to her and her parents to determine if she was physically able to bear children.  I say that because I have a friend who said that she has seen really young  girls pregnant and she said it was hard on their bodies.  I do think that they should be ready
Physically, mentally and emotionally etc.
swsis570                    

#11 Guest_Erykka_*

Guest_Erykka_*
  • Guests

غير متواجدة

Posted 07 July 2004 - 09:21 PM

Thanks for all your replies. I am glad that I found this site. So far it is really helpful.                    

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users