4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Samiraaa_*

Guest_Samiraaa_*
  • Guests

غير متواجدة

نقاط الإعجاب: 0

Posted 15 July 2007 - 11:15 AM

Salaam Aleikoum

Is it halal for a girl to study abroad? I know you can't travel without a mahram, but
maybe studying is a different story. Can someone please explain to me what the exact rulings are about travelling and going abroad for your study
Thank you!!:D

#2 Ola

Ola

Active Sister

• Members
  • 7,066 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 15 July 2007 - 12:24 PM

Assalaamu alaikum,

Shaykh Muqbil on Women Studying Abroad Without a Mahram

Question:

A woman wishes to study in Makkah bearing in mind that her father bought her there and then left her, so is it allowed for her to stay there on her own and seek knowledge, knowing that there are locations there which are particular for the women to reside in?

Answer:

Only if it be that she does not mix with strange men and that when she finishes her studies that her father returns for her to take her back, as it is impermissible for the woman to travel except with a mahram. So she should not freely mix with strange men and should study The Book of Allaah, and the Sunnah of Allaah's Messenger (Sallaallaahu 'alaihi wa 'alaa aalihi wa sallam) and I hope that there is nothing wrong that due to the fact that what is prohibited is solitude/seclusion, and what is prohibited also is that one travels on a journey without a mahram.

Taken From Ghaaratul Ashritah, Volume 2, pp 220-221.

Shaykh Muqbil bin Haadee al-Waadi'ee

Woman travelling to seek knowledge without a mahram

Question:
What is the Islamic ruling on a woman travelling to seek knowledge without a mahram?.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly:

The saheeh evidence indicates that a woman is not allowed to travel except with a mahram. This is part of the perfection and greatness of Islam, which protects honour, and honours and takes care of women, and strives to protect them and guard them against the causes of temptation and deviation, whether she is the one who is tempted or is the source of temptation.

The evidence includes the hadeeth narrated by al-Bukhaari (1729) and Muslim (2391) from Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him) who said: The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “No woman should travel except with a mahram, and no man should enter upon her unless there is a mahram with her.” A man said: “O Messenger of Allaah, I want to go out with such and such an army and my wife wants to go for Hajj.” He said: “Go out with her.”

Based on that, it is not permissible for a woman to travel to seek knowledge without a mahram. She should acquire the knowledge that she needs in the many ways that are available, such as listening to tapes, asking scholars over the phone and other means that Allaah has made available in these times.

The Standing Committee was asked: Can a woman go out to study medicine, if it is obligatory or permissible, if doing so will lead to the following things no matter how much she tries to avoid them:

a)     Mixing with men, such as speaking to the patients, the tutor of medicine and on public transport.

cool.gif    Travelling from a country such as Sudan to Egypt, even if the journey will take only hours, and not three days.

c)     Is it permissible for her to stay alone without a mahram in order to learn medicine, if she is going to stay with a group of women, along with the circumstances described above?  

They replied:

Firstly: if her going out to learn medicine will lead to her mixing with men during her study or when riding in mixed transportation that will lead to fitnah (temptation), then it is not permissible for her to do that, because guarding her honour is an individual obligation, but learning medicine is a communal obligation, and an individual obligation takes precedence over a communal obligation. As for merely speaking to a patient or a teacher of medicine, that is not haraam, rather what is haraam is making the voice soft and appealing when speaking to him, which may tempt those in whose heart is the sickness of evil and hypocrisy. This does not apply only to learning medicine.

Secondly: If she has a mahram who can travel with her so that she can learn medicine, or teach it, or treat a patient, that is permissible. If she does not have a husband or mahram who can travel with her, then it is haraam, even if the journey is by plane, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “No woman should travel except with a mahram.” Saheeh – agreed upon. And because of what we have stated above about the interests of protecting honour taking precedence over the interests of learning medicine or teaching it, etc.

Thirdly: If her staying with a trustworthy group of women is so that she may learn medicine or teach it, or treat women, then it is permissible, but if there is the fear of fitnah (temptation) because of not having a husband or mahram with her, then it is not permissible. If she is going to treat men, that is not permissible unless it is a case of necessity and she is not alone with a man. End quote from Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah (12/178).

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

#3 Guest_Samiraaa_*

Guest_Samiraaa_*
  • Guests

غير متواجدة

Posted 15 July 2007 - 12:52 PM

Salaam Aleikoum

Sorry my english isnt that good, but i understood if lets say i want to go to KSA  to study in a school for girls only and my brother or grandfather can take me and pick me up...i can study there?
I hope that i can biggrin.gif

Thank you for your fatwa....its called that right??

Lots of love,

Samira

#4 Ola

Ola

Active Sister

• Members
  • 7,066 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 16 July 2007 - 09:07 PM

Assalaamu alaikum,

but i understood if lets say i want to go to KSA to study in a school for girls only and my brother or grandfather can take me and pick me up...i can study there?

Yes, if a mahrem is going to take you there and bring you back and you will not mix with men then you can go according to the fatwas I posted above.

smile.gif

#5 Guest_Samiraaa_*

Guest_Samiraaa_*
  • Guests

غير متواجدة

Posted 17 July 2007 - 07:15 PM

Salaam Aleikoum

Thank you very very much!!!:D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users