#1 Guest_IslamiaYasmine_*

Guest_IslamiaYasmine_*
  • Guests

غير متواجدة

نقاط الإعجاب: 0

Posted 12 December 2003 - 06:25 PM

Salaam alekom sisters,

I have a question for all (non arabic speaking) reverts,actually two  :wink:

How long did it take you to be able to pray?

And how much do you remember of Quran?

Being a revert myself i know this is hard.It took me many months to remember Surah Fatihah alone and to correct my praying. Hamdulellah im doing ok now,just the Tashahud is the ''problem'' for me now,but i know the meaning of it in English and half in Arabic.

Hamdullelah i also remember a few more chapters now,ofcourse from the end LOL  :wink:  but im finding it very difficult. Thats why id like to know how all you other revert sisters are doing  biggrin.gif

Yasmine

#2 Noor67

Noor67

Our Sister

• Members
  • 763 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 12 December 2003 - 07:26 PM

Asalaamu Alaikum

Dear sister Yasmine,

Alhumdilillah it didn't take too long for me to memorize Al Fatiha because my husband was kind enough to quiz me and correct my pronunciation. One thing that really helped me was to listen to the tone of the prayer and sometimes you will notice almost a melody to the way the words are pronounced. Once I had the melody, I could remember the words. Can you go to the mosque and see if there are other sisters who can help you? I found that books just didn't assist me like being face to face with another human.  tongue.gif  May Allah help you to learn the prayer with ease.

Salaam,
~Noor                    

#3 Wendy

Wendy

Our Sister

• Members
  • 53 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 12 December 2003 - 08:25 PM

Assalmou aleykoum

Hi Sis Yasmine!  Welcome!  

To answer some of your questions....

I'm a weirdo and learned the fatiha and two other surahs before I reverted.  That's how much research I did before I got up the courage to revert.  I already knew how to pray and everything.  Yes, very strange of me...I was just a big chicken that was afraid of people so it took me 2 or 3 years to actually get up the courage to do it!

As far as how much Quran I know, since March, I have memorized 9 short surahs.  I actually feel like I could've done more and learned more in that much time.  I feel pretty bad about it.  Right now I am focusing on learning the meaning of the words rather than trying to memorize more.  What good is spouting off the words, if we don't even understand what we're saying!?

Also, I'm trying to learn 5 ayahs (lines) per week.  Not very much for all of you arabic speakers, but that's a lot for me!  I struggle with it!  There is a good website, http://www.reciter.org/ that could help you hear the pronunciation.  

Here's what you should remember Yasmine.  Different people learn at different paces.  As long as you feel that you are doing your very best and pushing yourself, you are doing just fine enchalLah.  Don't think that because I have learned 9  surahs in 9 months, that it is a good pace for you to memorize.  Maybe you're a faster learner and have the capability to learn a lot more.  Or maybe you're a slower learner and need more time to memorize.  Just do YOUR best, not someone else's best.  

It's also nice to have an arabic speaking husband to help me.  I'm sure it's much more difficult for those that don't have access to an arabic speaker.  If you don't, try that website I gave.

So Yasmine, push yourself to learn as fast as you can, but don't push yourself to the point where you get frustrated and hate learning.  Remember, anything you struggle with to please Allah, you will receive a nice reward for enchalLah.

If you need anything, we're here!!!!!

Salam,
Wendy                    

#4 lowri_mai

lowri_mai

Our Sister

• Members
  • 2,344 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 12 December 2003 - 08:45 PM

Asalaamu Alaykum

it took me 3 months to learn how to pray the 'basic' salat, in those days my memory was really good and I could learn surahs etc accurately like 'that' (*clicks fingers*) however due to some illness I had now my memory is not good, I try to memorise one short surah every ramadan but I do not always succeed I have several now I nearly know but when it comes to the crunch I forget them.  My husband despite being a classical Arabic speaker and practicing Islam all his life also has a bad memory and no matter how hard he tries; like me he finds it difficult to grasp the actual rules of tajwid (proper pronunciation of Qur'an).  Not all Arabic speakers have the talent of having excellent recitation skills of Qur'an. People learn at different paces I know many people who know the whole Qur'an but their pronunciation is completely wrong, and they don't understand a word, thus rendering their efforts practically useless.  It is more important to learn slowly but correctly than quickly but learning the wrong things they key word really is quality not quantity

Soph                    

#5 swsis570

swsis570

Our Sister

• Members
  • 331 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 17 December 2003 - 11:57 PM

Alhamdulillah!  My mom converted in
April of 2002.  She is very sensitive
and she is still learning her prayers.
I've been Muslim for 10 years and
I wish she wouldn't compare herself
to me.  I try to tell her we were
all there at one point, holding the
prayer book in our hand while we prayed, reading our surahs from a
piece of paper.                    

#6 swsis570

swsis570

Our Sister

• Members
  • 331 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 17 December 2003 - 11:59 PM

Alhamdulillah!  My mom converted in
April of 2002.  She is very sensitive
and she is still learning her prayers.
I've been Muslim for 10 years and
I wish she wouldn't compare herself
to me.  I try to tell her we were
all there at one point, holding the
prayer book in our hand while we prayed, reading our surahs from a
piece of paper.                    

#7 Jessica_

Jessica_

Our Sister

• Members
  • 107 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 19 December 2003 - 05:44 PM

I memorized Al-Fatihah in the week before I reverted.  Then, I used a book with the transliteration for a week.  At that point, I only knew Surah Ikhlas (Qul huwal lahu ahad).  Then second week, I memorized Surah Nas, then after a couple more weeks, I learned Surah Falaq.  Those are the only three surahs I know, but inshallah I will learn more in this winter break.  I was very busy with school.  I want to learn Ayat al-kursi and at least 2 more short surahs by the time the break is over.  I think it's important to make goals.  I also have been memorizing du'as in Arabic.  Like, what you say when you do any action (driving, going to the bathroom, etc.).                    

#8 bellaTasnim

bellaTasnim

Our Sister

• Members
  • 14 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 18 January 2004 - 07:35 AM

Asalam alaikoum sister,

Like some of the other sisters, I was eager to learn how to pray before I took shahada. I just thought that when I became Muslim I wanted to start praying immediately but that's just the way I am, and some of the friends I have tease me about it because I am so INSANE when it comes to learning about Islam I can never seem to get enough!

Alhumdulillah, when I decided to learn to pray I sat down one night and learned al-fatiha, and al-ikhlas and the rest of the prayer. I was determined to do it all at once and I find that just sitting for however longs it takes each time I want to learn a new surrah or dua and just reciting each line until I can do it fluidly is the best way for me.

Inshallah you will find it easier once you begin, but do not be discouraged....I also know sisters who read from something when they pray or only have some parts of the prayer memorised and they have been Muslim for a lot longer than I have. Allah knows best and will not demand too much from you.

I just urge you to try to pray in arabic even if you have to read at first because some sisters who have started to pray in english find it difficult to learn the arabic after. Also as long as you know the meaning of the surrahs, it is not important to know each grammatical thing about it.  Eventually it will come to you and inshallah you will feel so joyous at the success in accomplishing the prayer all by yourself.

Salam sister and may Allah(swt) help you suceed in your path~                    

#9 fathma

fathma

Our Sister

• Members
  • 939 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 18 January 2004 - 11:05 AM

assallamu alaikum sister,

it took me weeks to learn the prayer,  but a tip that i used was to write out each little section and break the words up,
eg.  Subhana Kal la Huma wa bi hamdika

I did that for all my prayer and with my husbands help I memorised it, It took a long time to get it but alhamdu lilllahe, i can recite it now,.

Allah fiz,                    

#10 Marriya

Marriya

Our Sister

• Members
  • 204 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 18 January 2004 - 09:43 PM

Salaam,

Actually it took me not that much time to learn my prayers, I know 3 surahs by heart (and many just partly), and now I cannot choose which one I am going to 'do' now. And I end up learning just a few lines of surah a and a few words of surah b, and then returning to surah c, which I like most but is oh so difficult.

May be I should pay more attention to it, because I know that I am able to learn fast, with the help of Allah of course!

Mariya                    

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users