4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_poise_*

Guest_poise_*
  • Guests

غير متواجدة

نقاط الإعجاب: 0

Posted 07 August 2007 - 03:05 AM

Asalaamu Alaykum,

I was just thinking about this the other day and I was wondering if there is anything that says that the uvulating (is that the right word) sound that some Arab women make using the tongue, its more commonly done on special occasions, is haraam?

JazakhAllahu Khayran,

#2 Ola

Ola

Active Sister

• Members
  • 7,066 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 07 August 2007 - 03:19 PM

Assalaamu alaikum,

Good question. I will search inshaAllah. I find that the sound can be too loud and heard by non-mahrem men. Allah knows best.

#3 Ola

Ola

Active Sister

• Members
  • 7,066 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 07 August 2007 - 09:41 PM

Assalaamu alaikum,

I send in your question to Islamtoday, inshaAllah we get a response soon.

#4 Ola

Ola

Active Sister

• Members
  • 7,066 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 12 August 2007 - 03:34 PM

Assalaamu alaikum,

Sister Poise, I found a fatwa that answers your question:

Fatwa No. :  85724
Fatwa Title : Loud women's voices during celebrations among women only
Fatwa Date : 03 Safar 1424 / 06-04-2003

Question  
Is it Haram for women to do Zaggareed in Islamic weddings where there are women and no music, just singing regular songs with the Duff and the Zaggareeds (which is only a loud voice from some of the women to celebrate the event with no men around?

Fatwa

Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the Worlds; and may His blessings and peace be upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon all his Family and Companions.

There is no harm in trilling cries of joy even with high sound during feasts, occasions, etc. as long as it is done only among women, away from men and free from music.
Allah knows best.

Fatwa answered by:  The Fatwa Center at Islamweb

#5 Ola

Ola

Active Sister

• Members
  • 7,066 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 18 August 2007 - 09:16 PM

Assalaamu alaikum,

We received the following reply from Islamtoday:

Fatwa Number:    42080

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question:   Assalaamu alaikum, A sister is asking the following question, I was wondering if there is anything that says that the uvulating sound that some Arab women make using the tongue, its more commonly done on special occasions, is haraam?" Jazak Allah khair  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Answer:   Answered by Sheikh Hânî al-Jubayr, presiding judge at the Mecca Courthouse

Al-Salâm `Alaykum wa Rahmah Allah wa Barakâtuh.

The trilling that some traditional Arab, Berber, Somali, and Swahili women do with their tongues on weddings and other special occasions – known as zaghradah in Arabic – comes under the default ruling of permissibility that applies generally to customs and cultural practices.

Al-Sheikh al-Sa`dî writes in Nayl al-Ma’ârib (4/206):

The default ruling for all verbal and non-verbal customs is that they are lawful and permitted. They are not to be prohibited or even frowned upon unless they present an express violation of Islamic Law or bring about some evil consequences. The basic permissibility of things is established by the Qur’ân and Sunnah.

Such practices are not carried out as a form of devotion. They are just cultural practices that people have adopted on special occasions. They are harmless practices.

Indeed, some permissible customs even bring benefits to the people and play a positive role in society, especially when they are associated with activities that are laudable.
I see nothing wrong with women engaging in this habit of trilling on special occasions. It is just like the handclapping and beating of the daff that women engage in at such times in many cultures.

Ibn Taymiyah writes regarding festivities: “Beating the daff and handclapping are among the activities of women.” [Majmű`ah al-Rasâ’il al-Minbariyyah (2/171)]

[The daff is a tambourine without bells.]

And Allah knows best.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users