8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_musaafirah_*

Guest_musaafirah_*
  • Guests

غير متواجدة

نقاط الإعجاب: 0

Posted 13 October 2009 - 04:42 PM

Asalaamu Alaykum,

I know many sisters here have had to give up dairy at one time or another for reasons like food allergies or breastfeeding and since I am in the process of cutting it out too I hoped you might have some tips.

What kind of dairy substitutes did you find best? I've tried soymilk (used to be vegan a long time ago) but I never liked soy products. I've heard better things about almond milk and really good things about coconut milk (comes in a carton, not like the canned stuff that tastes like coconuts). What about for substituting other things?

What kinds of meals did you make for your family? We eat a lot of dairy and I cook with a lot of butter, milk, cream, and cheese. I will most likely sometimes make alternate meals for myself and let my dh eat regular, but for the meals we do eat together, what kinds of things would you make to satisfy your family's tastes while still adhering to your diet?

#2 mariemuad

mariemuad

Administrator

• Site Admin
  • 7,699 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 13 October 2009 - 04:57 PM

Assalamu alaikum,

Although it is still milk, goat's milk is milder and doesn't bring as much allergies as cow's milk. I've also read that people allergic to milk are not allergic to unpasteurised milk

http://www.healthymuslim.com/articles/mzon...to-research.cfm

http://www.healthymuslim.com/search.cfm

In one of their articles, it says that some farms in the US are licensed to sell unpasteurised milk. The milk is not dangerous because the farm is clean.

Instead of butter, you can use vegetable ghee (or vegetable smen in Algeria/Morocco). This works the same as butter for bechamel sauce.

In the following, they also say you can make your own almond milk that they claim you can use for the same use as cow's milk:

http://www.healthymuslim.com/articles/pvvf...almond-milk.cfm

Umm Hanifa

#3 MissPink

MissPink

Active Sister

• Members
  • 6,057 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 13 October 2009 - 06:14 PM

Assalamu alaikom

Your food will change if you use a lot a of cheese and butter, and yogurt.  I was the only one with the restriction so I'd keep a portion to the side for me without the good stuff, and eat it kinda dry.

BUT. Get used to using olive oil, mayonnaise, almond milk.  

It's not easy, and you might even get angry and fed up after a week or two.  And then you accept it and get used to it.  If you live by a Whole Foods, they have tons of foods that are dairy free.  Even desserts.  I missed chocolate and cheese the most.  Cheese and ice cream substitutes were disgusting, so save your money!  Baked goods without milk were good though, bu tyou have to get used to the dark chocolate taste.

#4 ~MissKitty~

~MissKitty~

Our Sister

• Members
  • 2,965 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 13 October 2009 - 11:47 PM

Salam alaikum

My daughter has severe allergies to milk protein, and it's the same protein found in goat milk and sheeps milk.

We use a lot of rice milk, but soy milk is better for baking with as it's thicker. I can't stand the taste of soy milk though, which is why I use mostly rice milk. It's more like fat free milk.

There is only 1 milk free margarine around here, it's called Nucoa. There is a healthier option, and it's a soy butter, called Soy Garden buttery sticks, it's very good.

They have soy yogurts, but...I only like the black cherry flavored one, the plain is not good. They have coconut milk yogurt but I haven't tried it yet.

All but a couple of the soy cheeses are made with whey (milk protein) so you really need to read the label.

It's hard at first, but it does get easier.

#5 hopyawe

hopyawe

Our Sister

• Members
  • 93 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 17 October 2009 - 04:05 PM

I use hemp milk in smoothies, baking and oatmeal.  It comes from the hemp nut, and is rich in omega 3 and 6.  
I use coconut milk for creme sauces or making thai food yum.

The "VEGAN OMNIGON" and "BABYCAKES"  baking books are a must.  Every item I bake from babycakes comes out amazing.

Substituting coconut oil for butter, is also a must.  Order in in bulk online for a better price.  It is healthy and adds the much needed moisture to your baking.

Enjoy!
Kim

#6 muslimsister

muslimsister

Active Sister

• Members
  • 5,197 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 17 October 2009 - 04:41 PM

Assalaam alaikum,
Isn't hemp marijuana?

#7 MissPink

MissPink

Active Sister

• Members
  • 6,057 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 17 October 2009 - 11:01 PM

Assalamu alaikom

Here is an article that better describes the milk: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07123/782900-34.stm

#8 Ilovefajr

Ilovefajr

Our Sister

• Banned
  • 845 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 19 October 2009 - 09:42 PM

Salam Alaikum,

I hated most soy drinks and most tofu is boring. However, in Canada at some stores, like Loblaws or superstores, etc. they have their own quality brand of soy and it tastes very, very different than the other brands. the vanilla tastes like a Vanilla milkshake and the chocolate tastes like a smooth very high quality chocolate milk.

There is "tofu-meat" also in store brand names and also names like Yves and Licks which taste like real meat without an after taste, i.e. they have the yummy part of meat taste and they are clean, i.e.no animal products, but we must always watch for this.

Also most of our cheese here is not halal, so it needs to say Halal or organic and even if it says organic, check the label to see it does not have any rennet, because our government is cheap and allows some rennet in, so it' best to check for ourselves, better yet, where possible to check withthe company. I don't know if anyone checks this for us, it would be nice.

I make yummy stuff with vegetarian only ingredients. I would check a vegetarian web site for recipes, maybe google in vegetarian recipes homepage or some words like that. If I have ingredients I don't know how to make interesting, say spinach (well I do now) then I add that word and up pops thousands of choices, of course I just check the first few pages and only some of the sites on them. Then I have more choices than I can use.

It's great!

Salam Alaikum

#9 ummhagar

ummhagar

Our Sister

• Members
  • 147 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 29 October 2009 - 06:46 PM

Assalamu aleykum,

i know its expensive but has anyone tried camel milk as there is people with milk allergies that can drink camel milk without any problem, maybe one of the reasons to that could be because of it being unpausterized as well?

Some info i read recently said that beside it being easily digested by lactose-intolerant individuals it is rich in B-vitamins and iron and has three times the amount of Vitamin C than cows milk. It has been used for centuries to treat liver disease and it seems that camel milk has antibacterial, antiviral and anti-tumor properties. Subhan Allah.

I tried a glass of camel milk for the first time this week actually and i guess because of it consisting of so much nutriotious benefits it really made me not feeling the need for eat even on the day that followed, others told me the same happened to them. Obviously camel milk is so rich in potassium - which helps retain water in the tissues - that the desert Bedouin who drinks it needs only 2 to 4 liters a day, as opposed to twelve liters of water a day to survive.

Just some interesting info i needed to share...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users