12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_musaafirah_*

Guest_musaafirah_*
  • Guests

غير متواجدة

نقاط الإعجاب: 0

Posted 20 January 2009 - 07:59 PM

Asalaamu Alaykum,

I dyed my hair (with regular red from-the-store- dye) a few months ago (about 4 months, I believe). My hair is pretty damaged and I would like to use henna on it in the future so I have a few questions:

1) When can I put it in, should I wait longer, or is 4 months enough time?
2) What kind should I buy and what shade will it come out (I have dark hair normally)
3) Should I mix it with things? And if so, what?
4) Any additional tips?

Thank you all in advance, sisters.

#2 *UmmD*

*UmmD*

Our Sister

• Members
  • 1,249 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 20 January 2009 - 09:57 PM

Wa'alaikumassalaam sis

I dont have any tips for henna sorry, the only people i know who use it are my khala and my nan, but both arent so bothered about the end colour aslong as it covers the grey hairs!

I know what you mean about the store bought dyes though, they dry your hair out soo bad and damage it severely. But i do have this product called biosilk for the hair, its a leave in kind of serum, you can only buy this from salons and costs abit, but its a natural product and really does make your hair silky and healthy.. my mum bought it and gave it to me so i was blessed with that one alhamdulillaah, dont know what i'll replace it with once it runs out..
So your red now huh? I just went real dark before eid! Im so used to a medium brown with lightish highlights it was a shock, epseically for my dh! I bet you look real cute mashaAllaah with red hair happy.gif

#3 Guest_musaafirah_*

Guest_musaafirah_*
  • Guests

غير متواجدة

Posted 20 January 2009 - 10:03 PM

Wa Alaykum Assalaam,

I have seen that biosilk stuff here before I think. I will check it out inshaAllah. Yeah, I didn't really want to go red so much, I like my normal dark dark color (and my old red color I had at a salon like 4-5 years ago, before I was even wearing hijab had just completely come out (since I never cut my hair, it would only come out when it grew out and then I trimmed the tips); but dh mentioned the idea (he thinks I looked like I am trying to be gothic since my hair was really really dark and my skin is really really pale due to being blocked from the sunlight by layers and layers of clothing laugh.gif) and I decided to go for it. Now, I know I'll be stuck with red hair for a while, so I want to at least make it look good wink.gif.
Personally, I prefer just having red highlights if they are done right, but we don't have any salons for hijabis in my area sadly.

#4 *UmmD*

*UmmD*

Our Sister

• Members
  • 1,249 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 20 January 2009 - 10:08 PM

Assalaamualaikum wa rahmatullaah

i would look soooo wrong with red hair! trust me.. i think my sister would look lovely though, mashaAllaah her skin has such a lovely tone, shes been blonde, brown, dark dark brown, highlights everything and its all suited her! she got it permed, i braid it for her like thin corn rows and that suits her too.. shes got a famour face mashaAllaah lol..

i bet it suits you especially if your hubby likes it! i would recommend getting the biosilk though u only need abit, my hairdresser has been using it on me for years and now i use it myself, and it always does wonders for my hair alhamdulillaah.. and i have the dry frizzy thick type!

inshaAllaah other sisters post more useful henna tips lol.. icon_mrgreen.gif

#5 Guest_Samiraaa_*

Guest_Samiraaa_*
  • Guests

غير متواجدة

Posted 21 January 2009 - 05:05 PM

Salaam aleikoum,

I responded yesterday, but internet was acting stupid. Anyway what I wanted to say is that my mom boiled some ginger in water and mixed the henna with the water and my hair got a bit thicker and healthier I think. She has done it twice for me now and I noticed the difference. I also had my hair dyed red and with the henna it didnt become very different. I actually like the color. If you want the henna to be dark you can add some coffee and if you want it dark redish you can add tea lol if you want it soft add eggs want it strong add oil want hair to grow add garlic. Mom has done everything in my hair! Breakfast on my head! Good luck sis

#6 *UmmD*

*UmmD*

Our Sister

• Members
  • 1,249 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 21 January 2009 - 07:52 PM

Assalaamualaikum wa rahmatullaah

laugh.gif  laugh.gif  laugh.gif

oh samira! you crack me up sooo bad sometimes.. breakfast in your hair.. thats what i was thinking and then you said it!!! lolololol!!! biggrin.gif

but does it really work?!

#7 Guest_Samiraaa_*

Guest_Samiraaa_*
  • Guests

غير متواجدة

Posted 22 January 2009 - 08:57 AM

Wa aleikoum salaam,
QUOTE(Mutawakkilah @ Jan 21 2009, 08:52 PM) View Post
laugh.gif  laugh.gif  laugh.gif

oh samira! you crack me up sooo bad sometimes.. breakfast in your hair.. thats what i was thinking and then you said it!!! lolololol!!! biggrin.gif

but does it really work?!

tongue.gif I forgot to add honey! LOL the gingerwater works for sure! The tea and the coffee also work I once didn't want to have my hair red, because I was in this fase of 'I want tall dark hair' IPB Image as if. Anyway and I added coffee and the henna color didn't come through like it would normally and after that I didn't want dark hair anymore lol made me look old laugh.gif and the tea too. Garlic also works for sure..new hair grows if you do it in your henna once or twice. I forgot about the eggs, cause I haven't done it in a while. Was sick of the breakfast on my head and boycotted all the breakfast products in my henna up until the last two times I did it. Oil is well oil.  A lot of arabs, pakistani and indians will know what I am talking about. It's known that a couple of oils are good for your hair right. Anyway sorry for the messy messages I am afraid that my internet will get disconnected and I have to type everything all over again! help.gif
Lots of love,
Samira

#8 americannegypt

americannegypt

Active Sister

• Members
  • 6,166 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 22 January 2009 - 11:53 AM

salam alkoium i used to mix yoghurt into my henna mix, also just a tip, try mayo in ur hair for thirty mintues twice a week.... great conditioner

#9 Ola

Ola

Active Sister

• Members
  • 7,066 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 24 January 2009 - 03:31 PM

Assalaamu alaikum,

I don't know anything about using henna after dye. But, I do use henna mashaAllah.

I don't use any specific kind. I just buy no name henna sold in the souq here packaged in plastic bags by the people who sell them. It works well with me alhamdulilah. I don't quite trust these brand name ones sold in the stores, I don't know what they put them (to be fair I never tried them). Anyway, it would depend on where you live and what's available to you.

I don't mix anything with my henna except for water of course. Spring water, not tap water. Sometimes zamzam water if that's available. I leave the mix overnight and apply it in the morning and leave it on my hair until maybe Asr or Magrhib. I used to wait until it completely dries, but that's a pain in the head and it won't make much of a difference. Several hours is enough. When you wash it the first time don't use shampoo. Yeah, it won't smell very nice, so make sure you're not going anywhere.

For henna to work and show on your hair (especially those with dark black hair) you have to do it often. Seriously, like once a month or every other month. Don't give up after one try. Keep on doing it. It's not just about color, it keeps the hair healthy.

Hope I helped. smile.gif

#10 muslimsister

muslimsister

Active Sister

• Members
  • 5,197 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 25 January 2009 - 03:48 AM

Assalaam alaikum,
That sounds like something I would never do.  smile.gif  How do you make wudhu' with that in your hair or do you wait for a time you don't have to worry about it?

#11 Ola

Ola

Active Sister

• Members
  • 7,066 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 25 January 2009 - 02:03 PM

Assalaamu alaikum,
QUOTE(muslimsister @ Jan 25 2009, 06:48 AM) View Post

Assalaam alaikum,
That sounds like something I would never do.  smile.gif  How do you make wudhu' with that in your hair or do you wait for a time you don't have to worry about it?

I wait for the time I don't have to make wudhu.  wink.gif

#12 ~MissKitty~

~MissKitty~

Our Sister

• Members
  • 2,965 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 25 January 2009 - 04:22 PM

Salam alaikum,

Here's a website that has lots of info about hennaing hair:
henna for hair

#13 americannegypt

americannegypt

Active Sister

• Members
  • 6,166 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 25 January 2009 - 05:36 PM

salam alkioum i remember that my hairdresser said she would colour my hair after the henna. so she just the wash in colour that is in a grey bottle? this was at a hair academy where u can let the students practise on ur head mellow.gif  which some were rather brilliant! anyways she said something cause of the pigment but i went home and the next day i dyed it cause of the grey/white hair. when i used henna on my grey/white hair it looks like a reddish light colour and i dont like it....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users