Yunaleska

Our Sister

• Members
  • 2,246 posts

غير متواجدة

نقاط الإعجاب: 0

Posted 19 September 2008 - 06:09 PM

Assalamu Alaikum,

Wow somany different soups! (some seem more like stews.....biggrin.gif)

Made two soup this week for lunch (wasn't fasting). Both were whatever vegetables I had in the fridge...plus spices!

Soup 1

some broccoli
an onion
handful of mushrooms
1 pepper.

Cook the onion in a little oil til medium done (soft ish). Add pepper, cook for a bitter. Throw in the rest, continue cooking. Add some water, cook a bit more. Add tumeric, cumin and chlili powder. Puree/shove it in a blender. Whiz it up. Add water until you have the consistency you like (I know people would stare at the amounts of spices I put in, but I have poor taste buds, more so after a cold)

Soup 2

Same basis as above. Add chopped courgette/zucchini, cauliflower (white bit and green). Cook in same way as above. For spices, used cumin, mixed chinese spice. Not so much of a keep but equally yummy. Oh think I used tumeric in this one too....

Made enough for 5 meals for me, more if I had it with bread or something else.

#22 UmmHafsah

UmmHafsah

Our Sister

• Members
  • 674 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 20 September 2008 - 03:08 AM

Assalamu aliakum,

Lol@ it's a shame we're shamee biggrin.gif

I tried the Mbuttan a few days ago.  It would have come out great, except the potatoes didn't cook through.  closedeyes.gif   I guess I had them cut out too thick.  When I cut them, I reasoned they should be as thick as french fries, as they cook through just fine.  I guess not!  But the few successful ones were great.  I will try it again insha Allah before the end of the month.

As for the Libyan soup... It is now expected often.  I guess he's trying to make up for lost time or something biggrin.gif

Jazaaki Allah khair smile.gif

#23 Lovin_Niqaab

Lovin_Niqaab

Our Sister

• Members
  • 1,001 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 20 September 2008 - 07:57 PM

Assalamualakum,
QUOTE(Najjouha @ Sep 19 2008, 06:42 AM) View Post
assalamu alaykum
sister lovin niqab i am lovin your recipes! made your soup which was perfect my parents loved it. next mission is to the the potato slices as i have had them at libyan sisters houses and loveeeeeeeed it. i love libyan food its a shame we're shamee!
  tongue.gif  

LOL! I'm so glad it turned out well for you! 128.gif
Shamee food is much more healthier then Libyan food so that's definitely a plus. We like a lot of frying, a lot of tomato paste and chili hot food...Not good for the heart or stomach. But it is good! blush.gif

Alserat_Almustaqeem, that is the tricky part of making umbattin. The potatoe has to be sliced just so in order for it to cook well. I would definitely say french fry thickness is too thick. Something like (went to look for a ruler) 1/2 a centimeter should be good. And if you do feel like some are too thick then just lower the heat on the oil and let them fry very slowly.  

#24 RamramH457

RamramH457

Our Sister

• Members
  • 57 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 20 September 2008 - 10:04 PM

salam sisters! omg if i onlyyy knew there was a section with soups and stuff for ramadan!!  inshallah i will have to try something before ramadan is over... but i just wanted to share a soup with yall..lol.... im gonna give my best of the liquid measure,but everything else is i know...... its Onion Soup (dont get grossed out,lol)... i used to have it at my sister in laws house,but didnt like it too much, so i changed some things around and now everyone loves it!! (and my mil even took credit for it the other day since everyone loved it...not cool mellow.gif   mad.gif  )     BUT ..here it goes...

ONION SOUP

5 large onions, thinly sliced (long ways)
2 carrots, cubed
half a stick of butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 cubed maggi
water to fill the top of the onions,and 1 extra cup,maybe 2 (?!)
splash of pepper
pinch of dried oregano (secret ingredient,lol)

melt the butter and olive oil in a pot,on medium low
add the onions and carrots,and keep on stirring every once in a while,about 45 minutes, until onions become honey colored (not brown)...
add water and maggi cubes,let it boil and then simmer for 30 minutes
put it in the blender....all of it wont fit in the blender,so split it in 2, and dont forget to take out that circle thing in the top (or therell be a nice big mess...take it from me  rolleyes.gif  ) the heat needs to get out...
once everything is pureed, bring back to the pot, and let it come to a boil,simmer for 5 minutes,turn it off, add the pepper and the pinch of oregano.... and voila... the color should be like a mustardy/orangy color........... and sa7tain o 3afya! hope someone enjoys it smile.gif

#25 Yunaleska

Yunaleska

Our Sister

• Members
  • 2,246 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 21 September 2008 - 07:53 AM

Asalaamu Alaikum,

Um, what's maggi?

#26 RamramH457

RamramH457

Our Sister

• Members
  • 57 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 21 September 2008 - 11:18 AM

its the chicken buillion (spelling?!?!) cubes........ u add that to the water to make chicken stock,sorry i shoulda been more clear on that  biggrin.gif

#27 Umm_Z

Umm_Z

Our Sister

• Members
  • 1,941 posts
  • Interests:<br />

غير متواجدة

Posted 21 September 2008 - 12:34 PM

assalammualaikum

I always come back to this thread mashallaah. Im fascinated by all these soups (Lovin Niqaab you should have your own label  tongue.gif ). Ive never really been into soups..when i think of 'soup' i think of Heinz cans lol....

#28 ~MissKitty~

~MissKitty~

Our Sister

• Members
  • 2,965 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 30 September 2008 - 01:50 AM

Salam alaikum,

Umm Z, yeah, those canned soups are bad, aren't they?

There's lots of soup recipes out there. And you can make up your own. That's how I make chicken soup. I boil some chicken, and when it's done I cut it up into little pieces and I add what ever veggies I want, some salt and pepper, and dried herbs. I once added fresh herbs, parsley, rosemary and something else, it was really good!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users