#1 Guest_USA_muslimah_*

Guest_USA_muslimah_*
  • Guests

غير متواجدة

نقاط الإعجاب: 0

Posted 31 October 2004 - 12:40 AM

[font=Lucida Console:cab6471733] [/font:cab6471733] Asalaamualaikum,
I am having a problem today,
I have an illness that is causing a very bad sore throat and a lot of coughing, I was wondering if i should break my fast, it is making me very sick and lethargic and i feel very thirsty. I am also wondering about menstruation, Does the bleeding have to be completly stopped or is a very mall amount acceptable?
Salaam

#2 sarah_anisah

sarah_anisah

Active Sister

• Members
  • 4,408 posts
  • Interests:Islam, my children

غير متواجدة

Posted 31 October 2004 - 03:41 AM

Assalamu Alaikum
Welcome to the forum!

I am going to move this to the Islamic ruling forum so you may have a detailed Islamic answer, InshaAllah!

Sarah

#3 Paradise_lover

Paradise_lover

Our Sister

• Members
  • 2,057 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 01 November 2004 - 01:53 AM

Salam alikom

The types of illness that permit a person to break the Ramadan fast

Question: A close relative of mine, if he is so much as beset by a headache, opts to break his fast during Ramadan. Is there a way of defining to the type of illness that justifies a person breaking his or her fast?  

Answered by Sheikh Salman al-Oadah  

An illness is anything that takes a person out of a state of good health.

A sick person for whom fasting would be injurious to his health may break his fast. On this basis, Ibn Qudâmah writes in al-Mughnî: “It is a matter of juristic consensus among scholars that it is, in general, permissible for the sick person to break his fast.”

The proof for this is the verse: “Whoever among you is ill or on a journey can make up the number from other days.” [Sűrah al-Baqarah: 184]

In this verse, Allah has given permission for the person who is ill to abstain from fasting in the month of Ramadan and to make up however many days he misses on account of his illness at a later date.

There are many types of illness:

1. There are illnesses that make fasting unbearable. A person afflicted with such an illness can break his fast according to the opinion of all scholars, and this is backed up by a considerable amount of evidence.

Allah says:

“Allah does not burden a soul with greater than it can bear.” [Sűrah al-Baqarah: 286]

“…and do not burden us with what we have not the power to bear.” [Sűrah al-Baqarah: 286]

“And fear Allah as much as you are able.” [Sűrah al-Taghâbun: 16]

2. Then there are illnesses that do not make fasting impossible but which can be aggravated and made worse by fasting. If it is determined by at least one reliable doctor that fasting will indeed aggravate a person’s illness, then it is preferable for that person to refrain from fasting. However, if that person insists upon fasting, the fast will be valid.

In this context, Ahmad b. Hanbal, when asked about fasting for a person beset by fever, gave the answer: “And what disease could be worse than fever?”

It is also related that Ahmad said: “A woman who fears for herself being beset by tonsillitis may break her fast.”

3. A person beset by an illness that requires medication to be ingested during the day may break his fast, especially if the consequences of delaying the medication are serious, like the loss of a limb.

4. If breaking the fast will facilitate or speed up recovery, then it is permissible to do so.

5. A healthy person may refrain from fasting if he has well-grounded fears that fasting will make him ill, subject him to severe difficulties, or place unbearable demands upon his person.

Ibn `Abbâs permitted breaking the fast for someone “…who suffers from severe and chronic thirst”. Some people suffer from chronic thirst and cannot go for long periods of time without water. Such people can break their fasts.

Ahmad b. Hanbal was asked about fasting for a very young girl who attains puberty and menstruates during the month of Ramadan. He replied: “She should fast, and if it is difficult for her, she should break her fast and make the missed days up later.”

Ahmad’s fatwâ takes into consideration the girl’s young age as well as her not being accustomed to fasting. It also takes into consideration that she may be beset by weakness in those circumstances.

Though Ahmad stated that she should make up her fast, his students did not mention that she had to do so in that particular situation.

(www.islamtoday.net)

#4 Paradise_lover

Paradise_lover

Our Sister

• Members
  • 2,057 posts

غير متواجدة

Posted 01 November 2004 - 01:57 AM

Salam alikom

When can a menstruating woman fast?  

Question :

My monthly period usually lasts between seven and eight days. Sometimes on the seventh day I do not see any blood, nor any sign that the period is over. What is the ruling on praying, fasting and having intercourse in this case?

Answer :

Praise be to Allaah.

Do not hasten until you see the white discharge which women recognize and which is the sign that the period is over. The fact that the bleeding has stopped does not mean that the period is over. When you see the sign that the period is over, and the usual number of days has passed, then the period is over.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid (www.islam-qa.com)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users